Just Curious... but how old were you when you had your WLS?

DonnaB1952
on 2/18/12 5:57 am - Amherstburg, Canada
RNY on 01/18/12
Yesterday by chance I met someone considering WLS... when they found out I had just had it they were shocked I would be considered since I was so OLD! Boy it ws a good thing that she was not within my arms reach!... LOL

I will be 60 years old in April and I am 4.5 weeks out from surgery... I explained that I have had a stroke and a heart attack, bordline for sleep apnea, high blood pressure and arthitris in joints.... I said I have worked in a hospital for over 25 yrs and have seen how obesity has impacted my patients lives and their recovery... I  did not want my life to be the same. I then said I am now off all three blood pressure pills, no high blood pressure, no sleep apnea and less stress on my joints... all since surgery. I now have reduced my potential for another stroke and heart attack.

I shared my plans to retire in April 2014 and timing as they say is everything... by the time I retire I would be at goal and have had more than enough time to change my lifestyle where my health no longer controlled me... I plan on a fulfilled retirement one with activity, travel and most importantly great health.

Can you believe all she said was just "OH, I see"... so I guess I shut her up... what's with that... I never thought age would be considered a barrier... maybe thats because I still think I am 39 like Jack Benny! LOL

Just curious...  am I the only older person with a RNY/WLS?
Enjoy your day, Donna

My Journey: Highest W= 349 Loss w/Weight Watchers= 296 Loss w/Optifast= 278 
Referral: Aug.25/11 Orientation: Sept.26/11, Optifast: Dec.28/11 & Surgery: Jan 18/12 

Total Loss= 187 lbs & Weight Loss since Dec 28/2011 w/Opti+WLS= 134 lbs. 

Current Weight  - April 2013 = 162.2

pinkjellybean
on 2/18/12 5:58 am - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12
I was 33 years old!!

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

BrigitteD
on 2/18/12 6:00 am - Sumerstown, Canada
I will be 36 years young!

Highs weigh   241                                      Referal: November, 2010
Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

Mazey_x
on 2/18/12 6:15 am - Peterborough, Canada
VSG on 08/19/14
 I will be 27!  
brenda65
on 2/18/12 6:16 am - Ottawa, Canada
I was 46 years old!!
January 14 2011- Orientation at WMC
July 4- Sugery

A T.
on 2/18/12 6:21 am - Hamilton, Canada
 I was 46

Laurie C.
on 2/18/12 6:25 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada
I will be 55!!
carol_ann_p
on 2/18/12 6:30 am - Canada
I was 58 years young.  Had my surgery on December 1, 2011 so am only a few months out.  Do I wish I had done it sooner -- of course.  Am I glad I had surgery -- you bet, the best thing that ever happened to me. 

Unlike you Donna, I was fortunate that I had no other co-morbidities and my hope and expectation is that I will live another 30 years as a healthy, much thinner, much happier person.

It doesn't matter your age -- taking care of your health is essential at every age.

All the best to you as you continue through your journey.

Carol
Carol P
"Create your future from your future, not your past"    
sweetvania
on 2/18/12 6:34 am - mississauga, Canada
hey Donna i was 27!!! shame on that person for saying such stuff to you that is not rite at all she should be so happy for you that you got the chance to change you life and i am so very proud of you!!! yes there are people on here that have done this surgery and our older, congrats girl and you are totally rocking this!!! i am sure some of them will respond but i think you did a wonderful thing its never too late to change congrats girl all the way hugs!!!
RNY 07/05/11 dr klein!!! love it soo happy xxoo!!
laura S.
on 2/18/12 6:44 am - London, Canada
43 for me, and it was the best decision I ever made!  I don't think there should be an age limit on this.  It's going to improve the rest of your life - doesn't matter how old you are!

Most Active
Recent Topics