VERY itchy belly?

Sunnydaz
on 3/28/12 1:33 am
Hey everyone!  I'm just over a week post-op and the tape has come off my sites.  I thought once it was off the itchy feeling would go away...but it hasn"t and it's driving me nuts!  Did anyone else have this problem? Help!

Orientation: Oct. 5/11     NP: Nov. 16/11     SW: Nov. 16/11
NC: Nov. 23/11     N-1on1: Jan. 6/12     PSYC: Jan. 6/12
Surgeon:  Feb. 24/12     Surgery:  March 20/12

Monica M.
on 3/28/12 1:37 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
dry skin? you could be having some kind of a reaction to the stuff they use to clean your belly before they make the cuts. Try washing with gentle soap and using a nonscented cleanser.

is there a rash, or any sort of redness?

Gabygee
on 3/28/12 2:11 am - Canada
Are you still injecting Heparin into your belly?

I was one of the VERY rare cases who is allergic to Heparin, and I was ready to tear my skin off my belly.

I checked with the internist, who took me off the Heparin early, and gave me Benadryl.
Took two days and the ra****ching disappeared.

Don't know if you're like me ...? I'm no doctor ...

Jenci S.
on 3/28/12 2:05 am - Sacramento, CA
I have found that since surgery I have to use antibacterial body wash to keep infections, itchyness, etc at bay.  I use Dial, it is awesome!  I still itch on occasion, but nothing compared to before starting this body wash.  Good luck!!!

"Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more; love more, and all good things will be yours."  -Swedish Proverb

Zer0
on 3/28/12 2:33 am - Sudbury, Canada
I had this as well. My incisions were not red or swollen but my skin was very itchy. I thought it was due to the fact that I did not take my medication for hives for the first month due to the size of the pill. I also attributed it to the healing process as I often get very itchy around cuts etc. when they are healing.
I took benadryl if it was really bad and was very careful not to scratch my actual incisions. I found That after three weeks I was not itchy much at all.
I hope it subsides for you as well as it is very frustrating trying not to scratch or to scratch around incisions and steri-strips!!
Kristen
ready_to_shed_it
on 3/28/12 2:59 am
I was always told that "itchy" meant it was healing!

I guess there are different level of itchiness (is that even a word??) but when I was itchy, it went away within a week or so.

Good Luck

msheavyhearted
on 3/28/12 3:03 am - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
 I experienced this. My incisions were fine but the skin on my lower abdomen was excruciatingly itchy for a couple of weeks. I scratched myself to the point of bleeding. (I DO NOT recommend this!) I found using lotion on the skin help. I think I used Aveeno. It was gentle and I made sure to get an unscented product. I do think it was likely caused by a reaction to the cleanser they used during surgery.

It took quite a while for the itchiness to go away for me... 4-5 weeks, perhaps?

Hope you feel better soon.

Thea
Want to join the CRAZY TransCanada Challenge?? Just message me. Here's a link to the rules: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4570778/REPOST-The-CRAZY-TransCanada-Challenge-Rules/

Dianadcr
on 3/28/12 3:34 am - Canada
Experienced that as well. It does go away. Try not to scratch. Hang in there!
  Diana

Mary A.
on 3/28/12 3:57 am
you may have had an allergic reaction to the adhesive in teh tape...when admitted I told them I had a sensitivity to the tape and thus they used a different type.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

elkowen.59
on 3/28/12 5:39 am
 Hi There!  Looks like we had our surgery on the same date. :)

Although the tape hasn't come off for me yet, my belly is also itchy.  I assumed it was just everything healing up.