Beverages

Cherdra
on 7/25/12 11:50 am - Pickering, Canada
Once you have had bariatric surgery and are 6 months to a year out what type of beverages are you allowed, and what beverages are a definate NO.

Thanks,
Cheryl

Btrue2u
on 7/25/12 12:55 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/20/12
I would say nothing carbonated as the "bubbles " leach the calcium from your bones and that is even if it is flat.  

20AUG12-8AM SURGERY AT ST.JOES IN TORONTO  W/ DR SMITH                        

Susan B.
on 7/25/12 3:13 pm - Canada
RNY on 02/17/12
Drinks are the same as food-low fat no sugar, with drinks no carbonation as it causes pain when it expands in your stomach.

Alcohol is not recommended, for the reasons as above

From Orientation at TWH to Surgical date~6 months 

Bonnie ABC
on 7/25/12 8:33 pm - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
 Crystal light... oh and Crystal light.. and Crystal light.  

Alcohol has way too many calories and you will find if you don't deal with the reason you overate, you could use alcohol as a way to cope.  Not a good thing.  And that would be another topic on the forum.

With Coffee you have to worry about ulcers.  Ulcers in a wls patient can be very dangerous.   

The first rule of wls is to protect the pouch.   You need it.   Don't risk ulcers or expansion.  This is your one shot at being the person you've always wanted to be.   Stick to the rules.   

Bonnie
almost four years out now.

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
Catw
on 7/25/12 10:45 pm - Arnprior, Canada
You need to avoid high sugar, carbonation, and caffeine.

Crystal Light, or Nestea (5 cal ones) and the like are OK, Nestea Zero is OK.  Water is great.  You can have juice, but diluted, very minimum is half juice and half water.  G2 and Powerade Zero is OK, I've used them after work outs for that little bit of carbs if I need them.

Some people have a hard time with acidic drinks, (ie. Crystal Light Lemonade).  I find that a lot of the stuff I drink needs to be diluted (i.e. crystal light in a 2 L bottle, especially when it's raspberry flavoured).  Juice I just put in enough to flavour the water.

If after a year you do decide to have a bit of cafeine, watch for the side effects.  It never bothered me pre WLS, but now cafeine does a number on my sleep.  Found out by accident a couple times.

As for Alcohol it is high sugar and wasted calories.  And it will affect you quicker than you think after WLS.

Cathy

Monica M.
on 7/25/12 11:01 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
YES
water (crystal light)
decaffeinated zero cal iced tea
decaf coffee
milk (tho not too much, you don't want to drink your calories)
mmmmmcrystal light frosters

IN MODERATION
caffeine
alcohol
diluted juices

NO
carbonation
sugary drinks (including juices)

TBIYTC
on 7/25/12 11:58 pm - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 02/29/12
What are crystal light frosters?

TBIYTC-The Best Is Yet To Come Referral-Mar 2011   Surgery Feb 29th, 2012

Monica M.
on 7/26/12 12:02 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
oh my garsh..... frosters!! those frozen drink thingers at Mac's  milk, you know the ones that the kids get, with the thingie in the machine that keeps turning to keep them from freezing totally... they have crystal light flavoured ones! sugar free, and freezing cold!! they're delish!

TBIYTC
on 7/26/12 12:36 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 02/29/12
Thanks Monica - I'll have to look for them!

TBIYTC-The Best Is Yet To Come Referral-Mar 2011   Surgery Feb 29th, 2012

sam1am
on 7/25/12 11:57 pm
This may not be a popular answer, but here goes:

My surgeon has no problem with caffeine.  I do not believe it can cause ulcers and have seen studies of such, but have not kept copies.  I would wait a few weeks out from surgery to give the initial healing a head start with nothing but perfect food and drinks.

Carbonation.  It can make you full and uncomfortable.  It CANNOT stretch your pouch or stomach.  Most carbonated beverages (pop and beer specifically) have no nutritional value and should be avoided in the weight loss stages.  Some people were pop addicts before surgery.  If its a slippery slope best avoided all together.

Alcohol.  No good for you, empty calories.  Can become a transfer addiction, but if you didn't have a problem before it's unlikely.  I think I've read something like a 3% higher chance of having an alcohol addiction after wls.

In the weight loss phase (maintaining too for that matter), we should avoid drinking our calories.  They don't keep us full and rarely have any nutritional value.  All this being said, in moderation and in control, I see no problem in treating myself to the odd carbonated drink and or alcohol after I was 6 months out.  I drink caffeine on a regular basis.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Most Active
Recent Topics