Training for a 5 or 8K

babybuggie
on 8/5/12 1:38 pm - Canada
 Hi all.  Hope everybody is enjoying their long weekend so far!!  I've had some pretty big and exciting news in the last week.  I started running way back in April or May and was using an app on my iPhone.  All the people that are closest to me would tell you this was a big deal as I was a person who has never run...even as a child.  Needless to say I slowly increased my running over time and then when I was up to running about four minute intervals I decided to just try running as long as I could go.  First I ran about five minutes, the next time 10 and thn 15.  At this point I was pretty proud of myself and this was around the time my husband suggested I try running in the 5, 8 or 10k in October to help raise money for our local hospital.  I quickly laughed it off because I just knew there was no way I could run 5K.  A couple weeks later I decided to get on the treadmill and just see how far I was able to run.  Turns out I was already able to run 5K and had been doing it and more for a while now.  I have run as much as 6.5K straight so now I'm trying to decide if I should run the 5K or try the 8K.  Omg...I'm so in awe of what my body can do!!   I just wanted to share this because it is such an important lesson that our bodies can do so much more than we ever thought possible so don't ever discourage yourself.  I'll bet you will b surprised!!

Toni

Toni

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/5/12 1:49 pm - Windsor, Canada
 Hopefully you have done some running outside?  Running in a treadmill is completely different than outside.  

Good luck to you!  5ks are fun!

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

babybuggie
on 8/5/12 8:55 pm - Canada
 Actually Dawn, I ran only outside at first because I was afraid of running on the treadmill.  I have become a little pampered now as I have run on the treadmill for the last three weeks to avoid the heat but Saturday morning I ran a full five K outside with no problem.

Toni

izzyw13
on 8/5/12 1:56 pm - Mississauga Ontario, Canada
Congrats on the running....
go for the distance you are comfortable with, try RUNMETER on your iphone it prompts you with time and distance as you run..
I to started running and  with in a year and a half, I ran a 5k..8k, 10k 16k a half marathon  and the full New York marathon...
One step at a time....you never know where it may lead you....
Keep up the good work..
BE PROUD!!

Isobel....
isobelsmall.gif picture by lynnca1972

Btrue2u
on 8/5/12 4:44 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/20/12
That is really great.  I would do whatever you are comfortable with  

20AUG12-8AM SURGERY AT ST.JOES IN TORONTO  W/ DR SMITH                        

sam1am
on 8/5/12 10:21 pm
That is terrific,big congratulations!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

ShallowGirl
on 8/5/12 10:37 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
If 5K is doable now, I suggest aiming for the 8K for October.

There's nothing that says you can't stop to grab a breath if you need it. Hell, you can go 5 k and walk the rest of the way. It's for charity.

Best wishes !

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Jason W.
on 8/6/12 1:45 am, edited 8/6/12 1:46 am - Canada
I like to run also, but my 6 foot 1 frame is not so forgiving when road running. The biggest challenge for me was a good pair of shoes. I had to buy a serious $200 pair of Nike airs to get the cushion I needed so I would not get joint and lower back pains.

Sometimes I forget that I am still 6 foot 1 and 210 pounds.

Way to go !!! Welcome to the running club !!
Orientation Jan 8 2012   Group Nut/Surgery Class Jan 23 2012
1st Surgeon Meeting Feb 2 2012    Dr. Glazer Feb 9 2012
Social Worker Feb 23 2012    Psych/Nut/Nurse Mar 8 2012
2nd Surgeon Meeting Mar 28 2012    Optifast April 18 2012 
RNY Surgery May 9 2012
  Now if I could only grow an ass.....

Monica M.
on 8/6/12 7:26 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
Congrats!!

just like the other poster said, running outside is a different animal. That being said, i'd do the 8 k if i were you. IT's all about pushing your limits.

thefrostedside
on 8/6/12 8:13 am - Canada
This post is so inspiring for me.  My 10 year old daughter announced last week that for her 14th birthday she wants to run the Disney Princess Half Marathon...I have never run a day in my life so now I need to learn...I was seriously doubting the possibility of me learning...but your post has shown me that it's a skill that can be learned with no prior experience.
Thank you!
Most Active
Recent Topics