I love my family but...I don't think they understand what just happened

homegrl21
on 12/15/12 8:54 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 12/10/12
So I'm 6 days post op today and my family came to visit. My mom and step dad came first. They came in with a box of oatmeal (which is great!), crystal lights flavors from the states, and a pound cake and a box of pastries from the Scottish bakery. Lol my aunt and brother werent that bad lol I know it's me that has made this change and me that decided to re start my life but cakes?? 6 days after surgery??

It's always been my families way to bring something when you go to visit I would have made do with the flowers and the cards. That was thoughtful. But I've been open and honest from the beginning and my mom knows I'm full fluids right now. I just don't get it.

Last weekend was similar, they tried to get my wife who is one year banded today to eat a candy cane donut. Lol I know it's what they've been like my whole life. My grandmother would say I was overweight and then force me to eat. Lol it makes me laugh now thinking back.

Anyways thanks for listening/reading. I kinda told them no thank you and my stepdad scooped them up quickly!! Lol god luv em

Patm
on 12/15/12 9:06 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Wow talk about passive/aggressive. Glad you could see the funny side of it

homegrl21
on 12/15/12 10:35 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 12/10/12
After 30+ years of it, you don't really have a choice

Robin V.
on 12/15/12 9:49 am

I'm sure your family means well, I hope. Just stuck in the habit of food as a gift. I too have grown up with family who comment on my weight and then stuff me with food! Just tell them you want shiny gifts, and not jello. Lol. Kindness can be shown in other ways! Robin

homegrl21
on 12/15/12 10:36 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 12/10/12
LOL! Thanks for the advice

Onward and
Downward

on 12/15/12 10:14 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Well, you can always feed them to people who come to visit you!  :)  At least they gave you oatmeal and Crystal Light - that was thoughtful!

Kind of shows you, doesn't it?  We don't become obese in a vacuum - we are socialized by society and the people closest to us, and we get into patterns like this.  It's hard to break them!

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

homegrl21
on 12/15/12 10:39 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 12/10/12
It truly is... I love them still and can understand where they are coming from. I just hope I don't offend them at the same time of helping them understand.

maryottawa
on 12/15/12 12:33 pm - Canada
I'm in the same situation, my husband not support me, he want to invite me to eat hamburgers or ice cream. It is so difficult to be in this situation, but any way I have to win and follow my goal..good luck and be strong.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

ShallowGirl
on 12/15/12 11:14 pm, edited 12/15/12 11:14 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

In the end, we are the ones who put the food in our mouths.  I am now double or triple the age I was when I moved out of home.  So it is now MY issue what I put in my mouth.

All you can say is no thank you and roll your eyes.

Re unsupportive husband, I had to dump a sabotaging husband,  I wasn't going to stay fat and miserable to make him feel less insecure.  He made it come down to him or me.  And it was sad.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Onward and
Downward

on 12/15/12 11:24 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Oh, I agree!  I'm not saying we're without responsibility.  I'm just saying that these patterns aren't just hard for US to break, but also for the people around us, too - they're used to spoiling us with delicious food that they know we'll love, and they do it out of love.

My husband and I, when we got together, completely spoiled each other with food.  We both gained a LOT of weight when we got together, because we both love food and wine, and we would joke, "Food is love" while we fed each other up. 

Well, food is still love, and he is really enjoying the food I'm making that's WLS-friendly for dinners and such.  (This from a woman who hardly ever cooked at all before WLS.)  And he's being completely supportive.  But it's definitely a learning curve, not just for me, but for him too!

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.