Help Please- Need Protein Ideas

Sunnydaz
on 1/10/13 10:17 pm

As many people are, right now, I am struggling.  The difference for me is that I have been struggling since last Sept.  Things have gotten better, then worse.  Now they are very bad.  I am working on dealing with my eating disorder but am hoping to get some help here too.  What I need is some suggestions on protein.  What I am asking for is your best meal and snack ideas.  High protein, low or no carbs. 

Thank you so much for always being a support I know I can turn to.

Orientation: Oct. 5/11     NP: Nov. 16/11     SW: Nov. 16/11
NC: Nov. 23/11     N-1on1: Jan. 6/12     PSYC: Jan. 6/12
Surgeon:  Feb. 24/12     Surgery:  March 20/12

Patm
on 1/10/13 10:19 pm, edited 1/10/13 10:19 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Check our the what are you eating thread. I always find ideas there. Also the Ontario recipes forum is great

2mar
on 1/10/13 10:34 pm
RNY on 09/20/12
mermaidz
on 1/10/13 10:50 pm - Brampton, Canada

Nordica No Fat Cottage Cheese

Smoked Gruyere Cheese

Babybel light

Hummus

Laughing Cow Light

Oikos Yogurt

Coffee with protein

Hard boiled egg

Protein drink

Chicken breast/cheese/pickle roll ups

Carrots

Green Peppers

Celery

Raspberries

Strawberries

Paris Toast

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

HaroldC
on 1/10/13 11:01 pm - Canada

Mermaidz has some great suggestions!

I find the Mini Light Baby Bell is always a great protein v carb choice.

Good luck!

SW 291  GW 199.9 CW 180 Surgery: TWH Dr. Penner Dec 20 2011
Celebrating life and opportunities for new beginings!!!

Catw
on 1/10/13 11:14 pm - Arnprior, Canada

I'm a cheese,lover.  So I like cottage cheese mixed with spaghetti sauce once in a while.  I also tend to add a bit of grated parmesan cheese on things for a bit of extra protein.  Egg bites are also good sources of protein.

You could also make ahead mini meat loaves, freeze them and take them out when needed.  Or chili.

Check out the eggface blog, she has lots of good ideas there.

Cathy

Vi-Vi
on 1/11/13 12:27 am
VSG on 12/13/12

I love mermaidz ideas I also add protein to yogurt, SF puddings, my chili, etc..

i have also tried Schneider pepperettes as a snack.

good luck!

Sylvie

HW: 352.6.  Opti wt: 331,   Surgery wt: 308. CW: 190.4

Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at the moment!!   --Eggface

Marny B.
on 1/11/13 12:28 am - Canada

1)  cottage cheese- the individual "to go cups" are 12 g of protein.  I eat them with fresh berries or pineapple chunks on top, even a bit of SF jam\

2) Greek yogurt (1 serving of Oikos or Liberte is 8 protein)

3) 30 grams cheddar with a few apple slices or grapes (6 protein)

4) lunch meat rolled around a dill pickle.  I try to choose the ones with the most protein (ie.  roast beef slices, and genoa salami)

5) beef jerky, teriyaki flavour- low in fat and very high in protein if you like that sort of thing.  VERY high in sodium though, so I only have it is I feel I need a protein boost.

6) mini can of tuna- huge protein factor and they come in all sorts of flavours.  Tuna is my go to for protein.  I regular can split between a snack and lunch gets me 30 grams of protein!

7) dried and flavoured chickpeas.  Great source of protein, and a yummy crunchy snack

8) in a pinch, a "lunchable" I eat the cheese and meat, but not the other stuff (maybe a cracker  or 2)

9) homemade baked beans ( made sugar free)

10) Lifestyle turkey bacon from Costco freezer aisle.  5g protein for 1 piece.

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

ShallowGirl
on 1/11/13 2:23 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

I also have protein problems:

Ricotta cheese with jam

Greek yogurt with jam, or onion soup for dip.  The Onion soup dip means you can eat chips or veggies with more protein content.

Skim milk powder in oatmeal or hot chocolate.

protein powder in NSA pudding (1 tablespoon only, usually)

I like PROTI-LIFE bars 15 g protein Shopper's Drug Mart, which also has Aitken's bars.

I can tolerate PURE PROTEIN bars which are at Costco for about $1 a bar w 20 g protein and only 3 g sugar.

Nuts are too high fat 42g for about 8 g protein.  Some of the low fat cheeses I can't digest (rubber texture).

Yeah ! I can tolerate kielbassa sausage (kind of OT but there are very few meats I can tolerate at all ! )

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

JJ_
on 1/11/13 9:40 am

Lots of good suggestions.  I sometimes thaw out a shrimp ring and then portion it out into servings with the ****tail sauce.

Judy