Changing the way you see food....

Foy
on 1/14/13 4:35 am - Canada
RNY on 08/30/13

There is a ton of information out there with regards to eating, but how have you shifted your thoughts on food since your surgery? I am not really talking about the amount you eat... but rather WHAT you eat.

I have a friend who had surgery a few years ago and is very much into Paleo eating, meats, nuts, vegetables with no grains or refined sugars etc and has been uber successful.

I know someone else who is now anti- wheat and eats gluten free since their surgery. Apparently they saw the light after reading Wheat Belly.

I know I have carb issues, boy do I have carb issues. I know this is going to be a change for me so I am slowly starting to cut them from my meals now (I am pre-op).

But I am curious as to how many of you really shifted the way you see food, and what you intake, not just eating less of it because of your new pouch.

dna
on 1/14/13 4:52 am - Canada

I know being only 4 months out I am still new at this.  However, I do NOT eat bread (my DH does and he is 2 months out).  I try to keep my carbs to below 50g's a day.  I eat lean proteins and love introducing more veggies each day.

My idea of "eating out" is going to Wendys for a small chili and a side caesar salad (no dressing or croutons). 

I do eat sweeteners but I try to limit my sugars to below 20g a day. 

I have PCOS and Type II diabetes (or did so borderline before surgery).  I know keeping loads of carbs out of my life is the only way I am going to be able to lose and maintain.  Wheat Bellie or Paleo is going to be my way of life.  IS my way of life.

I cannot stand watching people eat now.  The shoveling of huge fork fulls and the amount of calories repulses me lol  but that could be a whole other post right ? 

Referral:  August 2011  Information session:  November 2011
Nut/Psych/SW: Spring 2012  Surgeon Meet:  July 6, 2012  Surgery: August 30, 2012

Onward and
Downward

on 1/14/13 5:38 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

I know what you mean about other people eating!  It doesn't repulse me though - it just kind of amazes me when I realize that I must have eaten even bigger bites, because before surgery, I was always the first one finished my meal at most gatherings!

My husband and I went out for lunch on Saturday, and we ordered the same thing - a bacon and egg sandwich - but he had a salad with his and I had some Manhattan clam chowder with mine.  And the sandwich came on a focaccia bun, but I asked for mine with pita bread instead.

He ate everything on his plate in the time it took me to eat half of my sandwich and a few spoonfuls of the soup, and I was almost full.  So he ate the other half of my sandwich while I had a few more sips of soup, and then I was full, so he finished my soup off too (there was more than half of that left).

We realized that what we should be doing now is ordering ONE meal, and perhaps a side order of soup or salad or something, and that I should take my small portions out of everything and he can eat the rest.  We're planning to start doing that!

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Cuter_w_Curves
on 1/14/13 7:46 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

I had to think long and hard f I should reply to this but... The fork fulls of calories I am ok with if it is adults doing it to themself.

The ones that get me are the following two:

The parents/guardians who take their children to a buffet and load a plate of deep fried stuff or deserts that are so over flowing (with like 4 of this... and 5 of that) and set it in front of a small child (under 10) and then ***** at the child if they say they are full and can't fini**** The man was awful and we could actually tell when he was entering the room again because you could... um... smell... him.

The people who don't bother with utensils... and use the packaging like a trough... Ummm... Think twilight marathon... Young woman walking with her hands full (drink in one hand.... popcorn in another... chocolate sticking out of pockets... Leaning her face forward.... jaw opening and her taking a mouthful of popcorn that is over flowing and some pieces are falling out of her mouth as she chews with it partially open... a gulp of pop that you can hear the slurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp from (over 30 feet away)... and then she again shoves her mouth INTO her bag. The visual was made better by her t-shirt being too small and riding up 4 inches as she'd lean forward to shove her face in.

Sorry... still not over either visual. *whimper*

Always makes me seem judgmental when I speak up about this stuff but... At least I am not the only one who can't stand seeing others eat.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

ToNewBeginnings
on 1/14/13 5:01 am

This is a really good topic.

I'm 2.4 years out and am now eating a lot of the foods I did before. Not in the same amount or frequency but I still eat a lot of processed crap.

I recently had plastic surgery and now that I have a new body I have been thinking about this a lot. Not only do I watnt to keep a slim body I also want to shift my focus to a healthier one. I'm thinking about juicing to eat more vegetables. I also would like to cut out more carbs and eat more of what they call 'one ingredient' foods. Maybe that means paleo?

I'll be interested to hear what others have to say.

Shar eD
on 1/14/13 5:04 am

Definitely a change in relationship and approach to food.  Just came back from all inclusive Cuba.  Husband commented daily on my selections - what I picked - portions - and willingness to "not finish my plate".  Gravitated to lentils, proteins, vegetables, fruits, grainy breads once or twice.  I truly cannot tolerate much bready products and always try to have a small portion of fish when it's available.  Surgery has definitely changed the relationship I have with food and the selections I make.

Patm
on 1/14/13 5:16 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

By the time I eat my protein there does not appear to be much space left. So the decision is if I can only eat a little more what will it be. I find breads sit like lead in my stomach. Fill me up with little value. Most of my carbs come from veggies and some crackers so I do not worry too much about them except to limit the crackers. It's like having valuable property. How do you want to optimize what you fill it with.

I am a year out so haven't got into any bad habits yet. I am trying not to develop any. I guess time will tell

Onward and
Downward

on 1/14/13 5:31 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

I'm definitely seeing food differently.  I'm not eating the real junk food (e.g. chips, cookies, ice cream, etc.), but I'm also not avoiding carbs completely.  I'm eating a lot more fruit than I used to, probably because I'm not eating any refined sugar carbs these days.  I eat flat breads and crackers that are lower in fat, but I'm not eating loaf bread yet.  I might at some point, I'm not ruling it out, but I just don't feel like it yet, and I feel like it would take a lot of room that I have to devote to protein.

I made a lamb tagine yesterday (a tagine is a Moroccan stew) and it has prunes, apricots, almonds, and some honey in it.  It's a treat and tastes great, but it does have some carbs in it because of the fruit and bit of honey (I cut back the honey quite a bit from the recipe). 

For me, not feeling like I have to eat a lot of everything IS the huge change in the way I'm seeing food.  I've cut out all junk food completely, and I don't miss it because I'm adding more fruit, veggies, and I'm trying not to be afraid of grains.  Protein always comes first, but this shift away from junk food and towards real food is the really big change in my relationship with food - that and being genuinely satisfied with small portions and not eating out of boredom or cravings.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

HaroldC
on 1/14/13 6:06 am - Canada

I am just about 13 months post op and  generally eat whatever I feel like.

Obviously in much small quantities, but  I can honestly say I do not deprive myself at all, I eat to live not live to eat.

Well balance approach, smart choices and the occasional "treat" in small quantities has changed my life.

Good luck,

Harold

SW 291  GW 199.9 CW 180 Surgery: TWH Dr. Penner Dec 20 2011
Celebrating life and opportunities for new beginings!!!

Cuter_w_Curves
on 1/14/13 6:50 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

I changed a lot of how I eat a number of years back when my corn allergy developed from just a sensitivity... Then about 3 years ago I really changed it again by cutting way back on wheat, potatoes, and removed carrots for the most part... I again shifted it again in the pre-op process.

I don't know what post op will bring at this point but I do know I will always lean toward fresh ingredients prepared without additives, corn products and chemicals where I can.

Paleo is closer to how I should live then most options... But again there is a lot I can't or shouldn't have.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

Most Active
Recent Topics