Surgery went well !

straberryz
on 2/20/13 11:25 am - Ottawa, Canada
No complications, went smoothly, my vitals are all normal.

I don't wanna scare off the newbies but I'm in so much pain its retarded. Much worse than my c sections. But then again I don't have a new baby to focus on! The meds they are giving me dulls it a bit, but doesn't help much. I guess my night nurse was busy cause it took her 30 min to gegt me something stronger, and by that point I was crying which made the pain a lot worse. Geez I'm a real baby lol. I woke up from surgery around 1, and the actual surgery was done at 1045. Anyone else had a lot of pain 12 hrs out?

REF: October 3 '11 INFO SES: Dec 2 '11 NP :  June 13 '12 US: July 31'12 NUT/SW: August 1 '12 PSYCH: Sept 6 '12 MRI: Oct 3 '12 SURG CLASS: Nov 28 '12 MEET THE SURG JAN 28 '13 SURGERY FEB 20 '13

willowraine
on 2/20/13 11:27 am - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 02/06/13
Glad surgery went well and welcome to the bench! Hopefully the pain subsides soon for you....hugs

Referral Aug/11, transferred to HRRH May/12, Orientation July 4/12, Surgeon July 17/12,     RD, SW  Aug 3/12, RN Aug 22/12, Dr. Glazer/Sleep Study Sept/12, Surgeon Nov 2/12, 1st surgery date (cancelled due to to sickness) Dec 13/12, Re-scheduled for Feb 6/13

Amanda F.
on 2/20/13 11:28 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 01/10/13

YES!!! You are normal! I feel that not enough people with bad pain experiences speak up on here, so the newbies think the entire surgical recovery is all sunshine and rainbows. Despite what the majority of posts on here tell you, it is not easy! Just make sure to be proactive about requesting your pain meds so that you aren't in a situation where you are crying again. Congratulations on having your surgery and welcome to the bench! :)

Referral to Bariatric Program at TWH: 08/09/11     Orientation at TWH: 08/17/11                 Nurse Practitioner: 10/12/11
Social Worker: 12/02/11                                         Nutrition Class: 12/21/11                         Nutrition Assessment: 01/26/12
Psycho-Social Assessment: 05/31/12                      Meet Dr. Penner (TWH) 11/30/12            Pre-Admission: 12/10/12

Surgery Date: January 10, 2013
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

For more information on the Midtown Toronto Walking Club, please click here.

JJ_
on 2/20/13 11:36 am

What are they giving you for the pain?  Do you remember that pain management book that they gave you at PATTS?   When I was in the hospital I took whatever they offered, every 4 hours.  I was never in any real pain.  When I woke up in recovery I wondered if they actually did my surgery and had to pull back the hospital gown to see the incisions. 

Hopefully once the gas starts moving you will have some relief.  My room mate got the nurse to bring her a warm blanket that she put over her abdomen to help with the gas pains.

Good luck.  Welcome to the bench.

Judy

gardeninggal
on 2/20/13 11:44 am - Midland, Canada

Oh hope you feel better soon and please let them know you need pain meds....toughing it out is not realistic at this point.  

1greeneyedgirl
on 2/20/13 1:21 pm - Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Hi straberryz, Happy to hear that your surgery went smoothly, sorry the pain feels so bad right now, I hope they can keep you comfortable.  Hopefully you will have a speedy recovery.

Cathy xo enlightened

Orientation: Feb 2013, Surgeon, Nurse, Dietician: June 2013, Dr. Glazier: April 2013, Surgeon: Dr. John Hagen, June 2013, PATTS: August 2013, Optifast: August 2013, Surgery: HRRH Sept. 5, 2013

Diana B.
on 2/20/13 1:53 pm
RNY on 07/20/12
Oh yes I remember having pain! But my worst issue right off the top was extreme nausea, and the more I wretched and gagged, the more it hurt.

I also found that I needed the prescribed pain meds once I was released. I have always prided myself on having a high pain threshold, but after this surgery, not so much! I was pretty uncomfortable for three weeks.
Referral Sent to Ottawa WMC December 16th 2010
Info Session/First Appointment March 25th 2011
Surgical Assessment January 3rd 2012
Dietitian and Behaviourist February 15th 2012
Abdominal Ultrasound May 8 2012
Surgical Education Class June 13 2012
Surgeon Appointment June 28 2012
SURGERY!!!!! July 20 2012

Patm
on 2/20/13 9:30 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Congrats on your surgery. Yes there will be pain. They did major surgery on you. If they don't give you drugs hang out at the nurses des****il they do. Also walk. This actually helps the pain. Some of it will be gas that needs to move

sam1am
on 2/20/13 9:59 pm

First of all, big congratz!  Now, you shouldn't have that much pain!  Don't let them skimp on your meds, do what you can to help yourself by getting up and walking because it really helps, but if you need more pain relief let them know!  I had c-sections two and my VSG was MUCH easier!  Squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Jeff Z.
on 2/21/13 2:17 pm - Canada
DS on 06/05/12

Congrats on the surgery and joining the bench.

It is rare that someone posts about incidents like this, at least from my own personal browsing on the board.

With both my surgeries I felt very little pain.  It was more discomfort really.  Heck, 2 hours post-op when they moved me up to my room the nursing staff wanted me to moved myself from the gurney to my bed by myself.  I tried and that is the only time I felt blinding pain.  It was after 2-3 attempts that they decided to use the damn air mattress they had under me.  I never really used the morphine pump much and I did take some liquid painkiller usually in the morning and at night just to be safe.

Second surgery I was up and walking 3-5 hours after the surgery, much to the dismay of the nursing staff in Montreal.  Besides a bit of discomfort it was a breeze the second time around.  First night in the hotel after I was released was a nightmare once my bowels woke up though, lol.  That was the only time I felt like I just wanted to be put out of misery, lol.

Definitely make sure to request the painkillers if you are in pain.  All the best on a speedy, and hopefully pain-free from here on out, recovery.

HW: 750  ConsultW: 735  SW: 701  CW: 395  GW: 235 
App: January 2009  re-App: March 2009... OHIP suspends DS, works on proposal with Cleveland Clinic  Surgery: October 8th 2009  (8 month process)
Revision to DS on June 5th, 2012.

Most Active
Recent Topics