Pain after eating

ovalspice
on 3/22/13 12:17 pm - Toronto, Canada

Hey there everyone,

I am 4 days post op (RNY) and having some difficulty with getting food down sometimes. Actually, not just food, it can be anything, fluids, meds etc. I get a "stuck" feeling in the my throat and chest, kinda feels like air is trapped or something. Very uncomfortable, not to mention annoying and frustrating. Sometimes I get the urge to spit up (not exactly throw up) and when I do, its not food that comes up, its mostly saliva and maybe some stomach. No food - again, odd.

Anybody experience this?

Andrea

Highest weight: 428lbs Dec/12: RNY surgery at HRRH March 18/13. Current Weight: 315lbs

time2changeme
on 3/22/13 12:24 pm

What is your diet for 4 days post op at your centre?  Mine was clear fluids for 2 weeks.

ovalspice
on 3/22/13 12:28 pm - Toronto, Canada

Clear for 2 weeks? really? I'm at Humber River Regional Hospital program in Toronto. After 2 days of clear fluids, I am now on 2 weeks of full fluids. I was on full fluids before leaving the hospital.

So, the things I'm eating are SF yoghurt, unsweetened applesauce, cream soups, oatmeal, protein shakes, 1% milk, etc.

Highest weight: 428lbs Dec/12: RNY surgery at HRRH March 18/13. Current Weight: 315lbs

jewel-twin
on 3/22/13 12:29 pm - Canada
What r u eating?

It sounds to me your eating/ drinking too fast... Try warm room temp water...sip very slowly dont gulp...see if it feels the same...

Family Dr. 06/05/2012    Referral Received 06/28/2012 Orientation 08/01/2012   NP 08/27/2012
SW 08/28/2012              Nut Class 08/27/2012
NUT 10/01/2012              PS 10/01/2012
Surgeon Dr. Cyriac 12/07/2012  **SURGERY  JAN 30, 2013**

fooh.png

Northernlights
on 3/22/13 12:59 pm

Sorry to hear you are having some trouble and pain.  I'm just 3 weeks post op and have issues as well.  I'm eating very little, just seems like I have no room for food, I get full after a couple bites.  I was having lots of pain after drinking but that is finally starting to go away.  Just remember every ones journey is different.  Hang in there.  Try talking to staff at your clinic for advice.  I was told to just try to get my fluids in and not to worry about food until I felt better.  Hope you are feeling better soon.

ovalspice
on 3/22/13 1:05 pm - Toronto, Canada

It's true - I could be eating too fast or too big bites or something. As I've been sitting here reading the forum and stuff, water is now going down fine and the stuck feeling is only very faint now. Maybe I've just irritated things and need to just go to bed lol.

And yes, I'm going to focus more on getting the fluids and protein in rather than anything else. I have several meds I have to take, and I was using the food as a way to get the meds down. I think I'll just leave it for now.

Thanks for replying!

Nutmegger
on 3/22/13 1:51 pm
Hi Andrea, I had exactly the same experience, now 3 months, 2 weeks, and much easier. It got easier by the week.
You have to go really, really slow. Even water hurt as soon as it hit my stomach. Pace out all your servings over 20 minutes - this was hard for me, but trained myself to take 1/2 a spoonful, put the spoon back in the mug / bowl and put it aside, have that amount, let it settle, @ 45-60 seconds, then another 1/2 spoonful. putting it aside instead if being ready fir the next drink/ bite helps. Try it. Also know this is temporary and will improve quickly.

A couple if things I found more difficult were greek yogurt (which I eat all the time, but too thick early on) and anything with weight to it (cream of wheat, etc. Cream soups were my best bet for the first 1.5 weeks with protein shakes. I also mixed regular yogurt with greek for better consistency but still high protein.

It gets better and pretty quickly!
Since I had the same experience, I'll tell you I also took a lot longer than most to eat meat without issue. I was sick every time. But for me 3 months changed everything and now can have anything, but slowwww is the secret.

Hope it helps!
tasha_the_dog
on 3/22/13 2:51 pm - Thunder Bay, , Canada

Even at a year out i must eat small pieces and thoughly chew it to smitherines before swallowing.  If I don't I get full too quickly before I have had all my protein.  When you are full on food that hasn't been chewed it seems to sit heavier on your stomach.  can be rather painful too.

Be careful with fish since it is a soft food so easier to not chew the way you need to.  And it really hurts or is uncomfortable for a couple of hours.

Referral to Thunder Bay Bariatric Centre July 2010 Orientation Class August 2010
Appointments with dietician, nurse practitioner and psychologist September/November 2010   Ultrasound November 2010
Scope June 10, 2011, meeting with surgeon Nov 29, 2011    surgery  VSG Jan 20/12
Surgeon: Dr. Gmora
HW 287

CW 169

aballett
on 3/23/13 1:10 am - Canada

What you are experiencing is known as the "foamies".  No bile, just spit.  It still happens to me at times, and I'm 1 year out today, actually!

Most Active
Recent Topics