Alcohol?

smarkone
on 6/20/13 11:41 am

To all the post ops out there, When did you have your first drink of Alcohol after surgery, I have 3 weddings this summer, 2 engagements partys and 2 reunions to attend. I am very scared to try it so I may be the Designated driver all summer.

Sharon

Referral sent Sept. 2011, Orientation Oct. 2012, 1st appt. with Surgeon Nov. 2012, Nut, Nurse and SW Nov. 2012, Dr. Glazer Jan 2013, Stress test, echo Feb 2013, 2nd appt with Surgeon March 2013, PATTS April 23, 2012  surgery May 8, 2013

lesseveryday
on 6/20/13 11:50 am - Kingston, Canada

Do what you feel comfortable with and you can't go wrong. I get hammered off 6 drinks, buzzed after 2, so be careful.

Onward and
Downward

on 6/20/13 8:59 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Wow, 6 drinks!  That's impressive.  I get hammered after two glasses of wine, and buzzed after 1. :)

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Dar_Mab
on 6/20/13 12:00 pm - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

I am not a vet  but see you just had surgery in May. I think it is way too soon to even think about it.  Not worth the calories or possible dumping.   I would be the DD this summer.  Plenty of time to try alcohol when closer to goal or when you are close.   

At the end of the day. Regardless what we might advise, go with what your clinic tells you.  You could call them and ask

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

Nanato2
on 6/20/13 12:33 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

I had surgery in Feb 2013 and haven't had a drop because I was told no alcohol for 6 months hubby loves it because now I am the DD and I am completely fine with being DD.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

MadMax1010
on 6/20/13 8:17 pm - Collingwood, Canada
RNY on 02/06/13

I was told no booze for a year after surgery, and after some research there is a very good reason. Your liver works overtime to process what's happening with the weight loss, they don't want Alcohol on top of that because of the possible liver damage. I will gladly be the DD this summer!

birdiegirl
on 6/20/13 8:49 pm

Hope you listen to the advice advocating no alcohol for at least 6 months.....forget that it will hit you hard.....what the previous poster indicated is correct.....your liver is in overdrive processing your fat loss......adding liquor to the load is dangerous

I know its tough.....most social situations are...especially when you are early out....but its just one summer of your life.....just 7 parties in total....and sounds like you have many friends....so you will have many more parties to go to in the future as a healthy slim person.....

I drank water in a wine glass.....I found just changing glasses really helped me ....and still does when I choose not to drink.....( I only drink with a driver....I get buzzed very quickly and take no chances )

Good luck

Onward and
Downward

on 6/20/13 9:03 pm, edited 6/20/13 9:04 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

If I were you, I'd be the DD for the summer.  People will love you for it!  And you're not 6 months out yet - I wouldn't pu**** if I were you.

I actually didn't find it all that difficult to not drink for 6 months.  (And I really enjoy a nice glass of wine when I'm out.)  You might find that this is really good practice for you, learning how to cope when going out for supper or at social situations without grabbing a glass of wine or a drink.  I found it to be an interesting experience and challenge.  And now, at 7.5 months out, while I might have a glass of wine while I'm out once in a while, because of that 6 months of abstinence I find it a lot easier to think of alternatives instead of automatically reaching for a glass of wine in a social situation.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Monica M.
on 6/20/13 9:46 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

i had my surgery in March 2011, first drink in late august that same year. I stick to wine. You do need to remember that your liver is working hard, processing all that fat you're losing, so go easy on it.

cutekatie
on 6/20/13 10:49 pm
RNY on 05/16/12

I had my first drink about a year after surgery.

I didn't drink a lot before surgery but now my thought process is that it's not worth the calories. There are better, yummier foods I can eat for the same number of calories.

As others have said it effects you a lot faster - I had three rum and cokes and was done.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

Most Active
Recent Topics