I'm On The Bench.....What a LONG Day!

hmtmomof4
on 11/7/13 9:35 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/13

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to pop in and let you know that I am on the bench. Sitting in my hospital room at TWH right now...sipping, walking and burping (nothing moving down lower yet!) hehe

I know these kinds of stories are nice for the pre ops to hear so I wanted to share how my surgery day went yesterday...no idea why I can not separate this long paragraph, but here goes......

Arrived at TWH around 9am, got all checked in and changed into my gown and slippers, and then waited.  MANY people came over to talk to us including nurses, anaesthetists, OR nurses and the wonderful Dr.Jackson himself.  Surgery was supposed to be at 11am but he was running a tad behind.  Around 11:30am they came to get me.  I gave hubby a quick hug and kiss and that is when I lost it!  I was shaking like a leaf and crying because all I could think about was my beautiful babies at home and PLEASE PLEASE let me see them again!  I had to walk to the OR....which felt like walking the green mile! lol  Once we got there they helped get me up on the table and all ready.  I was dreading that feeling of going to sleep.  The nurse put an oxygen mask on me and told me it was 100% oxygen and to breath nice and deep....and that is the last thing I remember!  Surgery lasted about 3 hours and Dr.Jackson told my hubby it went textbook perfect!  When I woke up in recovery I was in a lot of pain!  I ended up maxing out on pain meds down there and then had an issue with my oxygen level going too low.  Every time I would fall alseep my oxygen went into the high 80's low 90's.....so they forced me to stay awake. If I started drifting off they would shake me until I woke up again. lol  Because of the oxygen issue I ended up staying in recovery for 3 HOURS! Poor hubby was told I would be in my room in an hour and he had NO CLUE what was going on...he was worried sick!  Anyhow, I got to my room about 6pm and got all settled....I lucked out as I got a private room with a beautiful city view!  Around 8pm I had to pee reallllly bad.  I buzzed the nurse and she said she'd be right here....10 min later I buzzed her again and she said the same thing,10min later I buzzed again and she just picked up the call and hung up, 5 min later I buzzed AGAIN and basically told them if they didn't come and let me out of this bed in the next 2min. I was going to pee the bed! ...sure enough that got them moving! hahahaha  So I got up, went to the bathroom and then walked around my room for 20min or so. It felt much better being upright.  My night was pretty uneventful.  I could not sleep at ALL because I have oxygen on still and a heart monitor that is soooo loud.  The gas pains can get pretty intense at times too!  I managed a few burps and felt a little better but man, it feels like someone jabbing a knife in your belly.  My throat is also very sore from the breathing tube they put in.  My mouth and throat feel like sandpaper....sooo dry I can barely swallow...not sure how to get rid of this!  So I will spend the day today sipping and walking and the Dr's said everything looks good for discharge tomorrow.  Thank you EVERYONE for all of your support this past year. It's been a long road and I can't wait to start my journey to a new me!!!!!!!!!!

Referral Sent: Jan. 2013, Orientation: Mar. 2013, Social Worker: Jun. 2013 Nurse: Jul. 2013, Nutrition Class: Aug. 2013, Dietician: Aug. 2013, Psych: Aug 2013  Surgeon: Oct. 2013, PATTS: Nov. 2013 SURGERY: Nov. 7th 2013!!!

Patm
on 11/7/13 10:05 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Glad you are okay. The oxygen may be keeping your throat dry. Hope the water helps ease it. Good luck on your new journey

Michele T.
on 11/7/13 10:18 pm - Canada

Welcome to the bench!   Your story reminds me of mine I also lost it when I had to say goodbye to my husband and daughter and all I can think of was please let me see them again.  3 months later here I am best decision I have ever done :) I also had Dr. Jackson :)  Wishing you a speedy recovery :)

Referral from GP October 2012  Starting Opti July 15th  Surgery with Dr. Jackson @ TWH on August 8th, 2013

Hennagirliegirl
on 11/7/13 10:20 pm - Canada

Keep burping girl! Eventually you will start to toot. It will be nice to get home into your own comfort zone.

Welcome to the bench.

Terri

Catw
on 11/7/13 10:55 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Welcome to the bench!.  Make sure that your hubby reminds your babies that you need lots of gentle hugs for a while.  Made me feel better getting lots of hugs.

Cathy

ALOA2013
on 11/8/13 12:21 am - Brampton, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Thank you so much for sharing your story (and the details really really help!) I have surgery at TWH next Friday so pretty sure this time next week I will still be on the operating table, HOLY CRAP!

But so glad you are doing well and getting treated well.  Lots of walking, lots of sipping, and yes the breathing tube and oxygen will make your throat hoarse. It will pass.

I wish you the best of luck and BIG HUGS

All the best,

Leslie

Height 5' 5" HW: 244  SW: 226  CW: 128    

pcgreatlakes
on 11/8/13 12:48 am - Canada

Are they not giving you the little pink peppermint flavoured sponges on a stick to wet your mouth?  I really enjoyed that - it quenched my mouth as it was so dry.  Getting up is important and staying up is even better...I walked the hallways alot but could not pass gas and it hurt to even burp - at times I had hiccups....hurt!  It took about 3 or 4 days before I passed gas and it was few and far between.  Once it starts regularly, it will be much better.  You have gone thru the worst part!  Just remember that even when you are feeling better - don't lift anything or bend down for 3 weeks at least - I made this mistake and feel like I pulled something in my ribs.  We are not superwoman and we take care of our families - but we did this surgery to be around longer to take care of them because they need us - but it's their turn to step up and take care of us and we need to swallow that and ALLOW them to.  I am single and my sons have been doing laundry, carrying it up and down with totes to me to fold etc...they take out the garbage and bring the bins to the road....they bring in groceries also ( as I was superwoman one day and pushed myself too far).....so it's a skill to learn and allow others to take over, but you must do this to avoid complications in the next few weeks for sure.  Welcome to the Bench!  Hmmm I have waited so long to say that!!! :)

Referred June 2012.  Surgery Oct 15/2013 Dr. Irbach TWH VSG. Starting weight 287lbs. Started OPTI weight 260. Goal Weight 160lbs.

KerryF.
on 11/8/13 1:38 am - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

Congrats and welcome to the bench!!  walk walk and walk and the gas will pass

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

gwynnkitty
on 11/8/13 7:03 am - North York, Canada

Sounds like quite a journey!! Thank you so much for sharing it. :)

Here's to an EASY and SWIFT recovery!! :)

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

Dar_Mab
on 11/8/13 8:10 am - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

Welcome to the bench and I wish you a speedy recovery.    Great recap on your surgery experience.

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

Most Active
Recent Topics