CPAP after surgery

gaiamist
on 11/10/13 11:14 pm - Windsor, Canada

So, I have been using a CPAP machine for over 10 years. I had major jaw surgery in April 2013 and my pressure was changed from 9 to 6. I am now two months post-op (RNY Sept 5) and I think my pressure is again too high. In fact, I may no longer have sleep apnea but I'm not sure. I know I won't be scheduled for a sleep study for some time. Does anyone have a suggestion for the interim. I was thinking of lowering the pressure again but not sure where to put it. Also, I seem to sleep more or less the same without the machine. It's hard for me to know because I sleep alone. I don't want to discover I still need the support after sleep deprivation. Any input would be helpful.  

Ref June/10; Dr.Treki Jan/11; Orient Jan/2011; SW Mar/11; hiatus Apr-Oct/11; Dietician class Nov/11; SW Nov/12; Dr.Treki Dec/11; psych Jan/12; Dietician Feb/12; SW Mar/12; Surg Ed class May/12; surgeon Aug 24/12 - agreed to refer file to Hamilton for DS               
(deactivated member)
on 11/10/13 11:21 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Two things you can do.  My CPAP provider will lend me an auto titration machine to use for a few days and then they can tell me what my pressure should be.  The other thing they did prior to having this machine was to give me an oximetry machine to wear on my finger for one night  and they send the data to my sleep doc and he tells me to adjust it or not.  My sleep doc has given me a range of pressure that I am allowed to fool with.  If you are down to 6, you likely could go off it as I believe it's at 5, they told me it was my choice to wear it or not but you could always call your sleep doc's office and ask them what the magic number is to go off it.  I only have to wear mine when my allergies are bad as they make my airways close.

Needanewbeginning
on 11/10/13 11:27 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Yes, the lowest setting is 5 and if your sitting at 6 and feeling issues, I would do as Tracey suggests, sounds like you may no longer need your cpap. 

Annette angry

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Zizzler
on 11/10/13 11:46 pm

I have been using cpap EVERY NIGHT for over 10 years too, so I know you just want to get rid of it :-)  I would contact ask your family doctor first. Last thing you want to do is backtrack by not getting proper sleep - which you might not notice until several weeks go by.  Just my opinion that it is better to be safe than sorry. Can't wait to get rid of mine either! Good luck!

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

roxytrim
on 11/11/13 2:59 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

You can get a sleep study to see if you have apnea any longer.  This is covered under OHIP not as an adjustment but assessment. I had this same thing happen and had a study in April to determine my new pressure, at 5, and just recently had another study to assess if I need my beloved CPAP any longer.  Call your sleep clinic they can advise.yes

gaiamist
on 11/11/13 3:04 am - Windsor, Canada

Yes, there will be a sleep study but it won't be for awhile. I'm looking at how to handle this in the meantime. 

On another note, you mentioned your new pressure is 5. Others have suggested that 5 means you no longer need your mask. Has that ben the case with you?

Ref June/10; Dr.Treki Jan/11; Orient Jan/2011; SW Mar/11; hiatus Apr-Oct/11; Dietician class Nov/11; SW Nov/12; Dr.Treki Dec/11; psych Jan/12; Dietician Feb/12; SW Mar/12; Surg Ed class May/12; surgeon Aug 24/12 - agreed to refer file to Hamilton for DS               
roxytrim
on 11/11/13 3:07 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Yes, I got an office apt. with my sleep doc about a month after surgery and he suggested I could try it without by CPAP because the pressure of 5 is room pressure, so that is why it is not doing do much for you.  If you are too nervous to go without the machine, maybe the clinic could get you in if they have a cancelation? 

gaiamist
on 11/11/13 3:32 am - Windsor, Canada

An appt. a month after surgery might have been good for me. I suspect they did not realize I would change so fast. I might just try going without the mask since I have using a pressure of only 6 for some time now. My next follow up at the bariatric clinic is early December, anyway.

Thanks for your input.

Artimesia
on 11/11/13 8:52 am - Toronto, Canada
I, too, just had a recent sleep study done and have gone from 10 to 5; as a follow up to see if I need to use the machine at all any more I got on the cancellation list at the lab for a test without mask, did it last week, the results of which I will learn soon...I sure hope to say "adios" to the machine which I have used for over Five years, good luck to you, too,
Sheila

Leslie W.
on 11/11/13 10:15 am - Cobourg, Canada

I would think anything lower than 6 wont b comfortable. When was your last study? My centre did them annually if needed. Every two yr with cpap every yr without it. I went for a study about 6 month out. They did it without the machine and yeah apnea gone. Best to give them a call

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Most Active
Recent Topics