Referrals

josh_h2
on 1/12/14 8:31 am

Hi everyone;

I am meeting my new GP tomorrow (before my orientation), and (hoping to make things quick and easy) am planning on asking for  a few referrals to get the ball rolling before they ask for them at the RN meeting..  What referrals/tests do they normally order?
I know of:   

• Sleep study (going to ask my GP for a referral for an updated sleep study, since my last one was about 8-10 years ago)
  • Bone density scan (saw this one listed in his paperwork)
  • obviously full bloodwork

What else may they order at the RN meeting?

Thanks everyone.  Your help and knowledge thus far has been awesome! :)

Josh

Orientation at HRH - Jan 13, 2014. 1st Meeting with Surgeon (Dr. Klein) & blood work - Jan 30th. Sleep study - Feb 5th. RN, Dietician & Social Worker exams - Feb 25th, Internist - April 9th.  Dr Klein -April 23rd,PATTs Sept 2nd, Surgery, Sept 16, 2014, Opti Starting Weight - 343LB (Aug 26th).  Surgery weight 315LB  CW 215 17-Aug-2015)

kimber291
on 1/12/14 8:45 am, edited 1/12/14 8:50 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

When you meet the surgeon you usually go for blood work that day. 

The RN doesn't order tests that I am aware of, that would be the internist. I would recommend having the sleep study done ahead of time if you can, this will help speed things so your not having one scheduled later down the road. The sleep study is the only testing I had done before hand. And luckily I  wasn't sent for anything else, I was just cleared on Wednesday from the internist. 

Who is your surgeon? I am at Humber as well, with Dr Klein. I have my 2nd appt with him next week :-)

Good luck tomorrow!! Lots of great information at the info session. 

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

Hennagirliegirl
on 1/12/14 10:21 am - Canada

i wouldn't bother with any blood work, HRH will draw their typical order set regardless, save yourself a poke! I wasn't asked about a bone density but I did have a baseline one several years ago, which I think is a good thing, but not (as far as I know) routine pre op.

The sleep study seems to be a great idea, that way if you do have it you will be set up with a machine and good to go.

Enjoy the process

Terri

Test

Zizzler
on 1/12/14 11:07 am

Just had my nurse appointment last month and I wish I had asked for a full blood workup beforehand because it turns out I was dangerously low in several key vitamins and minerals, and was put on vitamins right away and told to come back in 3 months to be re-tested.  If I had known I would have started taking them over 5 months ago and been all ready to go when they did the blood work, which they will do even if you get one done now.  I would ask your doctor if it is possible to have the same bloodwork done that that the nurse would order.  Not sure if that is even possible outside of going to a hospital, but it may be worth a shot.  If you can't get this done then I would begin taking a good multivitamin.

As for the sleep study that is a great idea and may save you a ton of time. 

The nurse will ask follow-up questions about your answers on the questionnaire you fill out at orientation.  If you have any health issues that could influence your being ready for surgery then try to address them as soon as possible via your gp.  Good luck!

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

Robyn R.
on 1/12/14 10:09 pm - Bowmanville, Canada

a new sleep study and a baseline bone denisty is important.  Do not worry about the bloodwork as HRRH will draw when you see the surgeon the first time.  alot of the bloodwork they do is not OHIP covered if you have it done outside their facility and they can be quite pricey so save your money.  The dietician will call you with results and inform you of supplements to take.  Stress the importance of having HRRH sending your stuff to your GP.  I had to ask numerous times before it was done.  Good luck in your journey, there are many ups and downs. 

Robyn

Referral Summer 2012, Orientation June 10/13 HRRH, Dr Hagen July 3/13, Dr Glazer, RN/RD/SW September 19/13, Dr Hagen October 10/13, Surgery January 21/14

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/370613/tickers/robynrne2b9ddd6b097c6ab0185ec57651b7f22.png?1392080601

HW 290  Opti Start Weight 280.9  Surgery Weight 264.8 CW 207

hibbyangel
on 1/13/14 12:22 am - Canada
RNY on 07/17/13

if you have GERD having a scope done is something to look into. 

dragongirl_76
on 1/14/14 4:05 am

i had to do an abdominal ultrasound and gastroscopy.