slipping

hockeydad2013
on 2/5/14 8:58 pm - Canada

I think I am doing well, I am down almost 92 lbs, surgery was October 11, 2013. I am getting lazy and bad habits again. Iwas going to gym but when I got scabies I was affraid to pass it on that I stopped going a little walking ( freezing out). The itching is now very limited and doctor thinks there are GONE. But I have no motimation. I used to love going doing the weights , stair master , sauna etc and that until about 2 years ago, now I don't want to go . 

The next part is with the scabies sleep was next to impossible so up all night, now I am in the habit again of going to bed after 11 or midnight and start snacking on goldfish crackers ( pizza flav) etc. this is how I had the trouble last time was doing these stupid things.

ps I see hots of people eating greek yogurt but I find it tastes horrible. There are flavoured ones but have lots of sugar

and finally I am in Ottawa and was wondering where people buy their protein bars. When I look they have high sugar and a ton or carbs and are very expensive

Thanks for listening

kimber291
on 2/5/14 9:44 pm, edited 2/5/14 9:47 pm - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

I am so sorry to hear that your having a tough time, you have had a rough go. I have only been a member since November but I remember reading your posts. I am happy to hear the scabies are gone...atleast hopefully. I am sure they are. 

You have done so well to lose 92 pounds....that's amazing!! You are so close to 100lbs lost...can't you almost taste it?? Try to find it within you to reach that number. Then keep going, set small goals to reach!

Throw them dang goldfish out and don't buy them anymore, then they won't be there to eat. Don't buy trigger foods!! If you have to buy them for school snacks, buy them portion them enough for each school day with none to spare and then put them away. I know they are still there, but the kids need them for school!! 

In regards to the Greek yogourt. If you can't stand the taste of it, then you obviously aren't eating it, right? Then why not just buy a healthy yogourt you WILL eat. Atleast then you are eating something healthy. 

What if you found a buddy to go to the gym with? Or even a walking buddy? Hopefully the weather will start warming up soon. It's so hard to want to go out when the weather is horrible. There are quite a few Ottawa members on here, maybe you can find a buddy here?!

Lastly....call your Bariatric Team. Get a hold of them and go see them. That is what they are there for. Kick start your journey!! You got this...you've come too far is a short time to go back! 

I wish you all the best of luck. 

Kim

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

Katie M.
on 2/5/14 9:49 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

First off I'm glad your rash is clearing up and you're down almost 92 lbs! That's great!

I am no expert in this field and I'm sure some long-timers will have better answers than me, but what works for me is to not have anything that is easy to snack on in the house. That's the easiest solution. If you have kids who like it, try putting the stuff in a really high cupboard that's hard for you to reach easily or even start getting the kids eating the things you would eat for a snack (string cheese, yoghurt, fruit etc) And try practising mindful eating - instead of mindlessly snacking after 11, try becoming aware of everything you're putting in your mouth and how it's going to affect your weight loss. Ask yourself if you're really hungry or if you're bored. If you have to eat something, make yourself choose a piece of fruit or a yoghurt - make sure it's not a carb like crackers. 

I don't really have much gym advice because I am horrible at exercising, and I loathe going to the gym. But you could try getting a couple of hand weights for your home, and every evening (or whenever) do some sets that way? I sometimes use fitness videos on Youtube to follow as well, to get a bit of cardio.

I think at the end of the day the biggest thing to remember is that you don't want to slip back in to old bad habits, and just be vigilant. Force yourself to get on track with your snacking, if all else fails throw the food out. The longer you let the bad habits go on, the more your brain gets trained to automatically crave carbs after 11. If you can nip it in the bud fairly quickly by practising mindful eating, choosing a better snack option, etc, then it's easier to control the carb cravings.

As for Greek yoghurt I just use regular stuff and add some protein powder to it, since I don't love the taste of Greek yoghurt unless it's loaded with sugar ;) For protein bars try picking up Pure Protein from Walmart. They're about $6 for a box of six, or you can get them from Costco for about $18 for three boxes of different flavours. They have 20g of protein and depending on the flavour, the sugar alcohols aren't too bad. 

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Catw
on 2/5/14 10:11 pm - Arnprior, Canada

I don't eat protein bars (never found one that I like), but they do tend to be expensive.  Someone can correct me, but it might be cheaper at Costco. As for greek yogurt, I have 2 suggestions. Take a container and add onion soup mix and Voila! instant dip.  Or, take 1 part greek yogurt, and 1 part fat free low sugar regular yogurt.  Mix them together and try that.  (I don't get greek yogurt as often as I should as it tends to disappear before I can eat it).

I don't remember anyone saying you had to go to the gym.  You do need to be active.  If you have kids (sorry, I lose track of these things) go skating with them, got tobagganing.  Hey, it's Winterlude.  Perfect time to skate the canal (avoid Beaver Tails) and go to Jacques Cartier Park.  I don't remember anything saying adults can't use the slides.  If you don't skate, let the kids skate and walk the canal with them.  Try other exercises, if there is a pool close by, take the kids swimming. Or just take yourself swimming.  Take lessons in something.

One thing that might help with the exercise is to have a goal.  For some it's to run a marathon (or do a fundraising run).  For some it's to play in a volleyball tournament, or improve their golf game.  Actually, that's another idea, there are a couple places around Ottawa that have golf simulators that you can go to.  Don't remember where, but remember hearing of them.

If you want to go to the gym, find a workout buddy. Not necessarily one that has had surgery, but someone to kick you in the butt when you don't feel like going to the gym.

Good luck getting back on track.

Cathy

hockeydad2013
on 2/5/14 10:32 pm - Canada

Thanks, i am just going thru a lazy and pity phase, I am proud of the 92 lbs and I think I am looking better, get flirted with by some on the hockey moms etc. Those stupid goldfish crackers are my daughter thing on her lunch and loves the pizza one and only come in big bag.I buy the other yogurts but the greek ones look so good for what you get in terms of vitamins etc. 

Thanks again been a rought two months but will be better soon

Catw
on 2/5/14 10:47 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Since you have the other yogurts already, try mixing them one to one with the greek.  It was something my Nut suggested when I said I didn't like the flavor of the greek.  As for the goldfish, try having something else around that's as easy to grab as the goldfish. Have it all ready, so you just grab it if you need to.  A suggestion to get away from the late snacks is to have a hobby.  Anything that you can do with your hands.  I'd suggest knitting, but it may not be your thing.  How about taking up wood carving?

Not sure which rink you're at, but what about walking around the ice surface during practice?  It would keep you moving, I'll do it sometimes, keeps me warm and gives me a little activity and admittedly, keeps me from getting bored during practice while still being able to watch and be available for my kids.  Maybe you should try skating and have the goal of being an on-ice helper next year for hockey.  Starting skating now will get you ready for the 1 hour practices next fall.

Cathy (a HockeyMom of 2, 1 goalie and 1 timbit goalie)

P.S.  If your kids has an aspriations of being goalie, you may want to get back to the gym.  The gear isn't light ;o)

munchkinn
on 2/6/14 9:56 am

I too do not like greek yogurt. I use mio in my water and so I started to use some in my greek yogurt and the flavor is there! Pretty easy to change it up to your mood. Maybe it is this terribly cold winter that is getting you blue and not going to the gym. Maybe you have to be strict on yourself and go for a couple of weeks before you start to enjoy it again. Snacking late isn't always the best, maybe now that you are feeling better you can try to shift your bed time to be a little earlier and that may help. Good for you losing 92lbs! That is an amazing feet! Dig deep and I'm sure you will find it in yourself to work at losing the next bit of weight you want (make a goal).

Best of luck to you,

Fay

bikinibound2014
on 2/5/14 10:45 pm

For exercise check out DDP Yoga ... here's a link to the website http://www.ddpyoga.com/

I really like it and I AM NOT an avid exerciser.  You can completely modify the moves until you build the strength and flexibility to do it all.  I downloaded the DDP Yoga torrent from the internet.  It's not like any other yoga -- no butterflies and a soft spoken guru in Lululemon in the video -- it's actually fun!

Here's another link to what I think is an inspirational video ... it may give you a little more motivation. Everyone should watch it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

Good luck with everything!  Sounds like you just need a second wind to get you on track again.  Try and find it!!  You've come so far and can't slid back now :)

HW 277.0 CW 273.0 Asked for Referral February 2013; Orientation @ Guelph May 16th, 2013; First Appointments July 24th; Nutrition Class August 7th; Second Appointments (& cleared) August 29th; Post Op Class December 9th; meet surgeon January 9th; PATTS Jan 14; Opti starts January 21; Surgery February 11th!

hockeydad2013
on 2/5/14 11:13 pm - Canada

MY one daughter in PEE WEE is a goalie and wants one of those stupid GRIT goalie bags but they are over $300.00. The other girl plays competitive so lots of travelling. We were in Cobden a couple Sat ago, its 1 hour 20 minute drive in good weather. I don't want to even eat anythign at that time I should be sleeping as I get up early. I do walk around the rinks sometimes, the best is Smith Falls new rink.

I wanted to try yoga and a couple years ago was doing spin classes and loved it. This is for the ladies out there, when I go to the gym I mind my own business, but I don't want to make people uncomfortable as I see more ladies getting frustrated when new men come into the classes thinking they are there to flirt etc when they have no ring on. is there a way to help with this as I never start a conversation or ask how to do this or that as I don't want to seem like one of those guy

hockeydad2013
on 2/5/14 11:16 pm - Canada

sorry I do help on the ice sometimes with the girls and can skate pretty good. Right now I am 6'3" and 297. So I can start hiding the belly. tHANKS the encouragement is great, I just get down when I make excuses for the gym when I do like to go

Most Active
Recent Topics