Sleep study

Blueiiis
on 2/28/14 11:21 am, edited 2/28/14 11:21 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

I have been reading lots of posts here, and a lot mention the sleep study. Does everyone need one? I met with the NP and she said I didn't need one...but should I try and book one through my family doctor anyways just in case? I would rather not have one if I don't really "need" it.

karigotu
on 2/28/14 11:46 am

Hi Blueiiis, I was wondering the same thing.

SW- 285 lbs Ref Jan/14 ~ Rec'd clinic letter Feb/14 ~ Ultrasound - Feb 28/14 ~ Orientation - Mar 6/14 ~ RN - Mar 12/14 ~ Bloodwork Mar 17/14 ~ RD/SW appt - Mar 24/14 ~ 2nd RN/RD/SW appt - May 22/14 ~ Post-Op Eating Class - July 21/14 ~ Surgeons appt w/ Dr. Pereira-Hong - Aug 5/14 ~ Opti Aug 18-25/14 ~ Surgery Aug 25/14

sweetaypie
on 2/28/14 11:50 am

Hi Blueiis, i just recently had my referral sent in i have not heard anything yet about my orientation but i requested my dr send me for a sleep study now so it didnt interfere with the process later.....it only took me a week to get into the sleep clinic i just had it done on wednesday and they told me i will get results in 2-6 weeks time, im glad i got it done now, i really dont want to slow down the process

Leanne1
on 2/28/14 11:10 pm - Newmarket, Canada

Excellent!! 

"Early bird gets the worm!!" 

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Jiliana2
on 2/28/14 12:23 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

To the best of my knowledge, not everyone needs a sleep study. 

I know that I asked my family doctor about it when I asked her to make the referral for me. She said she didn't think I would need one. In the initial intake questions that the nurse asked me at the clinic (in Ottawa), she asked whether I snore. My answers seemed to satisfy her... she said I probably didn't need one. She also measured the circumference of my neck. I'm not sure what the criteria is for requiring a sleep study, but it does have something to do with that number as well. Whatever the cutoff might be, I didn't need a sleep study, so it may be that you don't either. It really all depends. But it shouldn't slow you down during the process. There'll be time to get it done in between various appointments at your clinic, I would think. 

Best of luck to you as you embark on the process! 

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

healthynewlife
on 2/28/14 2:21 pm - Guelph, Ontario, Canada

If you're 50 + and neck circumference 42+ and if you are on blood pressure meds and snore. My doctor said I don't need one,  but the nurse overruled my doctor's decision and I have to go through it.  I didn't realize this right away and wasted 3 months, plus 6-8 months wait to get into a sleep study, 4-6 weeks wait for the results. In KW area is just an nightmare to get into a (CLEAN) sleep study place & I didn't shop around soon enough so I wasted many months. Be informed,  research and ask questions.

JK

michellecowles
on 2/28/14 7:10 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/13/14

Not everyone needs one. I personally had one done due to my doctor requesting it. According to him, he told me that he usually makes everyone get a sleep study that meets a certain criteria.. your bmi is over 50,  or you snore already, etc. If your doc says you don't need one, then it really is unnecessary for you to go through the trouble of booking a sleep study.

SURGERY: Jun13, 2014  Starting Weight: 370lbs, Current Weight: 198lbs, Goal Weight: 180lbs

Sunny123
on 2/28/14 9:32 pm
RNY on 12/05/13

I think it depends on your Centre. I attended a session for my daughter and they said everyone would need one. That was in Kingston. I needed one and I am glad I got tested. I have severe sleep apnea.

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

gonna_B_thinner
on 2/28/14 9:37 pm

When I got my orientation letter from Guelph there was a list of things to get done like blood work etc.  and there was also a stop bang test.  It's a short questionare that askes you a few questions and depending on your answers tells your doctor if you need a sleep test done.  If you do need it get it done as soon as possible because depending on where your located it can take months to get in then months to get the results.  For mine I got in fairly quickly but it took forever to get the results back.  good luck

tbhandari
on 2/28/14 9:48 pm
VSG on 12/16/13

If you have a OSD (Obstructive Sleep Disorder) meaning you keep getting up in time multiple times and find it difficult to go back to sleep or you have Sleep Apnea then the Doctor's suggest a Sleep Study. If you keep dozing off during the day and cannot control it then also the doctors suggest it.

Try and sleep in a reclining position for a few days with head up and see it if helps or you can rent out a Bipap machine and use it while sleeping and that could help. 

sleep study is recommended only in extreme cases. 

SW : 404   CW : 294 GW : 180

Most Active
Recent Topics