OT Hockey Parent Help

Catw
on 11/3/14 3:20 am - Arnprior, Canada

Hi Everyone, as you know, hockey season's under way, and so are tournaments.  My first one is Saturday.  Normally, I wouldn't worry about what I bring, as I'm more feeding the kids than me.  But this year, I need to watch what food I let my 10 year old eat.  My son has anxiety, and midway through last season, he started having severe anxiety attacks, which would result in vomiting. (It would happen before the game, once he hit the ice, he was fine in the net).  He got help through his psychologist, and we changed our routines, so that he would eat nothing or a minimal amount when we had regular games.  Or make sure that he had a few hours between eating and a game.  This weekend I can't do that.  We have a game at 11, and one at 2 (or 3) and maybe another one later, not even sure he'll have time to fully change out of his gear.  It'll be too long in between to not let him eat, but not long enough for him to completely digest whatever he eats.  This tournament will have things like chips and pizza available, but I don't want to give him the grease as it won't help the situation.

Can anyone suggest tummy friendly meals for traveling to a tournament?  I'll probably have jerkey there, as he loves it.  But looking for other suggestions as well.

Cathy

RYMEBE73
on 11/3/14 4:23 am - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 06/30/15

does he like soups or stews? with some crackers? can take a thermos??  Poor guy though...that must be rough

Moving on doesn't mean you forget about things.  It just means you have to accept what happened and continue LIVING  

Catw
on 11/3/14 10:35 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Thank you for the suggestions, he likes soups or stews, but I'd be worried how heavy it would be on his tummy between games.  Thanks for the thought.  We have an away tournament in March, which I will definately be bringing stuff like soups and stews to (made sure I had a microwave).  It was rough until we changed routines, it's easier now.  He still worries about throwing up, so I'm still careful.

Cathy

Robyn R.
on 11/3/14 4:24 am - Bowmanville, Canada

Although we don't play hockey, my son is a competitive dancer so I totally get the healthy food time crunch issue. With minimal time between numbers you don't want stuff that can re-appear so to speak. We use veggie sticks, protinis, beef strips (loblaws sells a beef  strips precooked) cheese strings, sliced or peeled fruit (lower sugar ie berries & apples no bananas). Cheese & crackers are good to. It seems like he is constantly eating as he is having something small constantly. Sometimes even a half sandwich. Hope that helps

Referral Summer 2012, Orientation June 10/13 HRRH, Dr Hagen July 3/13, Dr Glazer, RN/RD/SW September 19/13, Dr Hagen October 10/13, Surgery January 21/14

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/370613/tickers/robynrne2b9ddd6b097c6ab0185ec57651b7f22.png?1392080601

HW 290  Opti Start Weight 280.9  Surgery Weight 264.8 CW 207

Catw
on 11/3/14 10:39 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Thank you for the suggestions, small stuff does make sense.  I brought lunchables to one last year, but then he had pizza and an anxiety attack.  This was before he started cyclical attacks, so I didn't know he'd react that badly.  He's a protein kind of kid, and the beef strips sounds good, and cheaper and healthier than lunchables.  If we win the 2nd game, not sure what time the 3rd game will be, so I need to be prepared for 2 sets of snacks.  Lots of food, but better to take my own and try to get the kids to eat that instead of at the canteen.

Cathy

Needanewbeginning
on 11/3/14 8:54 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Howdy,

I think I have a few ideas. I have been a hockey Mom for 19 years and my youngest is now minor midget AAA. Stressful year to say the least. As they get older fuelling them properly becomes imperative to their performance. Pizza and chips, well that stuff isn't served to our boys at this stage. We go with pasta with chicken the night before games, pre game breakfast in your sons case needs to be at least a couple of hours before his 11 AM game and if he is back out for a game 3 hours after that then a small healthy snack. If he eats too close to game time, that's honestly why he may be nauseous. Very common, especially with younger players. Our kids are still like that. My husband was trainer for 17 years. He knew exactly who ate, what they ate and if they were ready to play. It becomes obvious if kids have eaten pizza or fries. 

My sons team chug back chocolate milk and a banana in the dressing room once the game is over. Many then have a bagel with cheese or meat and lettuce/tomato. My kid hates tomatoes but just something along those lines. You could make a little sub sandwich with whatever he likes? 

I take larger lunch coolers to tournaments filled with stuff. I went from a diaper bag to a cooler bag of necessities for game day, lol!! 

If you wish, give me a call, love to chat.

Annette 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Catw
on 11/3/14 10:52 pm - Arnprior, Canada

My youngest (a Tim*****as practice at 8 or something on Saturday, so I'll be getting my oldest (an Atom Goalie) to have a good breakfast early.  It's a one of those tournaments that the next game time depends on the results of the game before, so potentially not a lot of time between them to refuel.  I'll have to ask him if he'll drink milk while he gets changed.  He's not a big milk drinker, but will drink lots of water throughout the day.  Probably grab him a G2 as well (one will be all he'll drink during the day, he prefers water).

His severe anxiety attacks are that bad.  The schools have seen it.  When the shooting of the soldier happened in Ottawa, his school went on lock down (He doesn't like drills to start with) he had an anxiety attack and threw up.  And that wasn't a full lock down, they didn't have to hide, just stay inside all day, no one in or out.  Even if hadn't been an anxiety attack, they couldn't send him home.

I've come to do the same diaper bag to cooler with snacks (even for regular games and practices).  Especially if my youngest comes and hasn't had anything to eat either.  It's amazing what gets raided out of that.  At a tournament last year, the team went out to different places for lunch, and my kids just wanted my picnic. They enjoyed it that much.  Mostly healthy, a little junk.  But we had time that weekend to sit and eat and let it settle.

Cathy

Karen M.
on 11/3/14 11:38 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Milk may not be the best choice if he's having "nervous stomach" issues, maybe stick to the G2 for the tournament.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Catw
on 11/3/14 11:48 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Depending on the schedule will be how much dairy he has.  He's fine after the game, it's just before each game.  And his anxiety isn't usually obvious.  So I find out the hard way.

Karen M.
on 11/4/14 12:15 am - Mississauga, Canada

Speaking from experience (me), milk sometimes isn't a good choice if I'm feeling barfy/anxious stomach. lol

I'm sure he'll do great! Tournaments are tiring, but so much fun.

K. :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
Recent Topics