DAY BEFORE SURGERY

ntensegirl
on 9/10/15 9:09 am - napanee, Canada
RNY on 10/06/15

Hello, I am having my sugery at TEGH, and I was told that I will find out what time my surgery is..THE DAY BEFORE SURGERY!! I am supposed to call a phone number after 3pm the day before and they will tell me what time my surgery is..what kind of screwery is this?? did anyone else experience that? and I had my pre-op appointment with Dr Mary Ann Aarts but I guess my surgery is with dr Jamie Cyriac...has anyone had him and what was your experience?

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/15 9:40 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I've had over a dozen surgeries in my life and it's been the same before every surgery, they sometimes would give me a tentative time but always had to call the day before to get the actual time.  Certain people(ie. diabetics) need the first slots in the morning so if someone comes in that needs those spots, they bump the others to later in the day.  It's completely normal from my own personal experience.

ntensegirl
on 9/10/15 10:07 am - napanee, Canada
RNY on 10/06/15

I am insulin dependent diabetic so hopefully I am near the first, because I dont know how long ill last without eating, taking insulin, that kinda stuff. guess ill find out the day before 

Patm
on 9/10/15 10:41 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

They usually always take diabetic first.

Carrielee
on 9/10/15 9:58 am - Canada

Hi 

well I can speak from both personal and professional experience that I've never heard of such a thing as that. From personal experience I've had numerous surgeries all of which I was given the time of my surgery when I was given a date. Even my upcoming WLS surgery in Guelph next week I was given both my time and date at the same time. From professional experience I worked as an RN in Hamilton for years and our patients always had a time allocated to them when the date was booked. That doesn't mean things don't change the day of surgery due to emergencies etc. I know this doesn't help you but I totally understand your frustration and bewilderment. I truly hope it goes well for you. 

MonaLisaSmile
on 9/10/15 12:33 pm - Canada

Good luck tomorrow !!   The bench is waiting !!!

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

B-Trix123
on 9/10/15 2:01 pm - Toronto, Canada

I went through this at TEGH. By the time you read this, you will likely know your surgery time. I was first up - and I am not diabetic. There was only one other Gastric Bypass surgery done that day, directly after mine. I met Dr. Aarts at pre-op but learned that Dr. Cyriac would operate a couple of weeks before. I met him 5 mins. before - he asked if I had any questions and my response was "It's a little late now."

My surgery went without a hitch - 4 weeks ago. No post op pain. Dr. Cyriac visited me 2x before I was discharged. Nurses spoke very highly of him. I was very anxious about who was doing the surgery, but in the end I believe I got top notch care.

FYI - you will be placed in a semi-private room on the 5th floor that is set up with 2 bariatric air beds, large bathroom. Check out my post "Scarey Bedtime Story" - the bed broke down. You will likely meet nursing assistant Denise - she's wonderful and will do what she can to make you comfortable.

Oh yeah ---- beware the Jello!

Lovejustin19
on 9/10/15 5:54 pm

Good Luck !!!! Enjoy the amazing journey to a happy healthier lifestyle !!!! You got this😊

This G.
on 9/10/15 6:23 pm - Canada

If they give you a time in advanced it might change. not screwery, the just need to put the high risk patients first.

Surgeon: Dr Hagen. Start Opti Aug 18th. Surgery Sept 1st 2015

Delicious_Delilah
on 9/10/15 7:55 pm - Ottawa, Canada

In Ottawa you only get your surgery time the day before -- for all surgeries. I have one coming up in ten days for a hernia repair, and I'll find out the time the day before. Really depends on the roster of patients, types of surgeries, etc!  Very normal!

Most Active
Recent Topics