Vitamins and pic line

leeann73
on 2/9/17 2:32 pm

hello everyone. 2 questions. 

My doctor in Windsor said not to worry about vitamins until I follow up with him after my surgery. I don't see him until 3 to 4 weeks after the surgery. I feel like I should take vitamins before that. What do you think. 

Next, has anyone had to get a pic line in before the surgery?  I have to get it the Friday before so I will have it in4 days before surgery. Will I be able to clean my house after I have it in?  

Third question. On my clear and full liquid plan from the hospital it does not say the premier protein drinks but I see other people drinking them after surgery?  

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Manda32
on 2/9/17 3:15 pm

Hey Lee-Ann,

Dr. Shaban said the same thing to me about the vitamins. They said at the surgical class, the only vitamin to have after surgeon (unless directed by your surgeon) is a chewable multi vitamin. At the three week appointment I think that is where they will recommend to start taking vitamins that apply to each of us. I recall them saying taking all these vitamins before that would be a bit hard on the stomach.

I plan to only take the multi vitamin until I go to Windsor three weeks after my surgery.

My brother had a pic line years ago. He had a really nasty leg infection, an nurse had to come every day to give him IV medication for weeks. The only thing I remember is that you couldn't get it wet, and being that brother has a desk job, I'm not sure if he was able to do much house work. I will ask him for you, and let you know later.

As for your third question, I would love to know the answer to that too? I heard Guelph does not allow the protein drinks, but I was never told this directly by Guelph.

How's your opti going?

amanda

leeann73
on 2/9/17 3:35 pm

Thank so Manda. Opti is going very well. I really like it. Today is day 3 though so hopefully this continues. 

Diminishing Dawn
on 2/9/17 4:16 pm - Windsor, Canada

Shaban is adamant about not taking vitamins til he tells you to.  

Premier is fine if you are allowed shakes.   It's s staple for many. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Wayne H.
on 2/9/17 8:43 pm, edited 2/9/17 12:44 pm
RNY on 02/08/17

I had the RNY done yesterday and am home now.  I am having a Premier Protein now , ok with Ottawa  Weight Loss Clinic. I also have the Whey Isolate from Costco. 

I am also taking 4 Celebrate Essentia Multi 2 in 1 chewable vitamins, also encouraged by Ottawa.

Other than that, diluted Juice, broths, SF Jello and some other clear liquids.

The Premier vanilla shakes and Vitamins are deliscious after being on Optifast for 21 Days. Lol

What is a pic line?

leeann73
on 2/10/17 1:05 am

Hello Wayne

I am not entirely sure but I understand that it is the port for the IV.  The doctor said my veins were difficult to see and find and that if they do the line ahead of time, it will make the day of surgery easier.  Someone told me that it is done under xray and they put a die in to make sure they find the right one ... I don't know .... all I know is it is a 6 hour round trip to do this .... I will have to call for more information  - I am suppose to go next Friday

Ginnny
on 2/10/17 4:03 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Hi, I was through Windsor with surgery at TWH.  My vitamins started the day I went home.  Bought the calcium chews at the hospital and had a chewable multi vit.  No pic line for me so can't help you there.  I had premier protein from day one at home.  How else will you get your protein in?

My first appt. in Windsor was probably six weeks after surgery....they aren't very timely with their scheduling.

Most Active
Recent Topics