Anyone go the private toute?

Sheepie
on 2/14/17 12:42 am
VSG on 05/31/17

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone here has gone through a private surgeon for gastric bypass instead of through OHIP? I have been looking at Dr. Al-Kassem in Simcoe, but was hoping someone may have some experience with him? Or perhaps a different ptivate surgeon?

fromfattohealthy
on 2/14/17 8:44 am - Canada

I don't have any feedback as I am going through OHIP,  but just curious as to what is influencing your decision to go the private route? :)

5'0 - SW - 240LBS | Lap Band - August 2015| Revision Band to RNY Surgery - May 16, 2017| Opti-fast - 9lbs | G.W - 150LBS | CW - 165LBS |

Sheepie
on 2/14/17 9:17 am
VSG on 05/31/17

Hi there!  I am thinking of going the private route because I am fortunate enough to have the finances to, and my job (I am a nurse at our rural acute care hospital) does not have a lot of flexibility when it comes to taking multiple leaves for appointments. I can certainly take the time off, plus take time for some appointments, but not for a full year. Plus, and let's be honest, I don't think my health can withstand taking a full year to have the procedure done. 

MicheleA
on 2/14/17 12:14 pm

My experience is through Ohip but wanted to tell you it might not take you a year.

I went to the orientation class (which is your first appointment in the clinic) mid June and I had surgery on January 30th of this year. If you are healthy with no medical issue's like diabetes etc, you can easily be fast tracked which I believe I was. I did not hear from the clini****il mid November at which time I started with the appointments. I think I had 4-5 between the various nurses, social worker and internist. That was it other than pre-opp. Viola. It was done!!

Best wishes on whichever route you take.

Patm
on 2/14/17 11:03 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

There is a reason it takes time. There do a lot of screening that is for medical and psychological health. They want to make sure you can and will comply once you have the surgery.

Be sure there is a good follow-up system with the self pay. If you do it outside the country none of the centres will see you for follow-up. The funded program follows you for 5 years. I personally have found there help over this period invaluable.

Sheepie
on 2/14/17 11:07 am
VSG on 05/31/17

Thank you Patm for your insight.  There is follow up for one year following surgery with psychologist and dietician, as well as with the doctor.  I would be doing it here in Ontario at the Norfolk General Hospital.  

I will keep researching, and learning from reading here, as well as talking to my own family doctor.  Lots of amazing advice and support here!

leeann73
on 2/14/17 3:42 pm

It may not take the full year, as another poster said.  My surgery is next week and my orientation was July 25th, 2016 - 7 months.  It is a lot of appointments but it is really worth it.  I feel safe with this program - there are so many surgeons, so much experience and so much success.  If you go the private route, I would just really check the stats, follow up and success.  Good luck which ever way you choose.

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Most Active
Recent Topics