STRICTURES

JosMcFadden
on 3/16/17 8:38 pm - Oshawa, Canada

Had RNY, revision from VSG on Feb 13/17

For a week I couldn't keep solids down, it was my second week on pureed food, I was constantly throwing up. So last Saturday I went to TWH emerge and was there 10 hours, they admitted me for severe dehydration, low potassium, electrolytes were out of whack and I had low magnesium all from throwing up!! I kept telling them that I thought I had a stricture, they looked at me like I had two heads and that I was wrong, that strictures usually happen 2-10 months after surgery.They thought I might have an ulcer. I couldn't get a endoscopy until Tuesday. Turned out I did indeed had a stricture!!!!! I WAS RIGHT!!!! They fixed the stricture, and in the process they damaged my uvula (thing that hangs at the back of your throat) so much that it obstructed my airway, couldn't swallow saliva without choking, I was a mess. I stayed another 2 nights!!! So all in all now I know, go to hospital if something is wrong, even if you don't think it's nothing! I will!!!

1st Referal @ HRRH: Sept. 17, 2014; Orientation @ HRRH: Nov. 24, 2014; 2nd Referral @ TWH: Nov. 27, 2014; Orientation @ TWH: Jan. 7, 2015; SW: Jan. 22, 2015; Nutrition Class: Feb. 2, 2015; Sleep Test: Feb. 13, 2015; Psych: Feb. 18, 2015; Dietitian: Feb. 20, 2015; Nurse: Feb. 23, 2015; MTS: Dr. Todd Penner June 19, 2015; Surgery: Sleeve, July 20, Dr. Penner.

Cinderz
on 3/16/17 9:11 pm

Glad you persisted and they found the true problem and fixed it. My uvula was damaged during the intubation while having surgery, I gagged everytime Inswalled for the first couple of weeks. Even now, almost 15 weeks later it still dangles lower then it used too and when I got a sinus infection and a cold last week it was very noticeable and annoying. I'm can't be sure if it gets better or if I've just gotten used to it lol. Good luck with your recovery :-)

crqvingchange
on 3/17/17 2:33 am

Good for you for being your best advocate. Great advice to go hospital and get checked out if something gives you pain or if you can't keep food or fluids down. Dehydration can happen in just a few days.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

White Dove
on 3/17/17 7:14 am - Warren, OH

Terrible experience, but wonderful that you were smart enough and educated enough to tell them what was wrong. Hope everything heals and this is soon just a remote memory.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Kathy1212
on 3/17/17 10:47 am

Oh no; I'm so sorry! Thank goodness they were able to fix it, but so sorry about your uvuala. That sounds awful.

I hope you'll soon heal and feel better. Sending warm thoughts and prayers your way.

Big hugs.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Most Active
Recent Topics