6 month update

Wayne H.
on 8/14/17 10:01 am
RNY on 02/08/17

Well, I met with the nurse today.

I am happy to report that even though I have spent the better part of 4 of the last 5 weeks on vacation split between an East Coast Trip of 10 days, and another week spent Camping at Murphys Point Provincial park all my blood work shows positive signs and that I am still on course.

I was worried because admittedly I had very much difficulty sticking to the food plan out East essentially because of Take Out needs where required. We covered 4800km in 10 days so we were on the road a lot and had limited choices. I did and continue to always try to pick a healthier choice over a less quality choice but it's not always easy. I left many meal plates behind loaded in Fries I didnt' want and only focused on the good stuff like Protein. I also let down my hair to enjoy some Baileys in my Decafe Coffees and do enjoy a Caesar or 3 on occasion. I can't drink anymore than that because it goes straight to the head. I know the risks but those two things in my mind allow me to still enjoy life without beating myself up over it. The key is moderation and not to over do it. I should mention that I did lots of walking and swimming to keep myself active.

The trade off of course is that my weight loss has stalled despite still losing size/mass. Today my waist Measurement was 6" less than it was just this past March at my 3 month appointment. That is 9" overall gone!! Amazing.

The Nurse today, and as evidenced by many on this forum, told me that my weight stall is normal at 5-6 months out, but encouraged me to enjoy things in moderation as I have done, but to also stay active. Despite Kayaking/Hiking and walking, the 2-3 visits to the Gym has fallen to the wayside because of my vacations. I'll be getting back into the Gym this week as we both feel it's that element that is missing in terms of my Stall. She said the fact that I have not lost, nor gained can simply mean my Calories in/out match my Bodies metabolism at this time. In order to burn more Calories, I need more Gym Time. Simple really. I also plan to pull out my old bike because I am inspired by Kathy1212 to get on it. Thanks Kathy :-)

My Cholesterol is Low but can be attributed to the two remaining Cholesterol meds I am on. I see my doctor next month at which time I suspect he will take me off them both. Good news is despite being low, the numbers are still in the normal range.

My Blood Sugar was at 4.6 and is stable... wow.. I used to live in the high 7's.

Iron, Seems my Iron levels are low. We're going to retest that in 3 months to see if it continues to drop. As a guy, I don't need any Iron supplements normally but that said we don't want it going to low as I'll need to start something then. I have some bleeding on BM's...but that existed before WLS so that will be one area to check out. I have had Hemorrhoid issues in the past...maybe I need a few banded to fix the problem. Blood Work will help tell that tale.

Overall, I am very happy now even If I don't lose another Pound. My life is back and I can enjoy things I've not done in over 30 years. Kayaking, Hiking, Walking, Stamina, Not winded, Not soaking wet in perspiration, Can do yard work with tiring or seizing up, I can reach the middle of my back to take care of itches, LOL. You know...so many positives.

That's it for now. Next Month I hope to report some additional weight loss but I won't get panicked If I don't. Life is so much more than just about how many pounds I lose versus fitting into a society built for skinny folks. End of the day, it's about my Happiness.

As well, For those like me who take the Celebrate Multi 2-1 Vitamins, the Ottawa Civic Pharmacy sells both flavors for $49.95 +tax ($56/bottle of 120 Tabs). That is the same price if you were to purchase from the Celebrate Online Site here in Canada. I will be buying my Vitamins from the pharmacy from now on. There is no shipping costs added. :-)

And I learned there is no Iron in the Celebrate Vitamins because of the Calcium already in them. Learn something new everyday. The Girls at the Ottawa Meetings were correct.. Thanks Girls!!

Cheers all

Wayne

Tuktu
on 8/14/17 12:48 pm
RNY on 03/07/17

So glad to hear your health is so much better and you are enjoying life! Your blood sugar is great.

You are absolutely right - moderation is the key and life is definitely about much more than how many pounds you lose! Way to go! You inspired me with your story

AngelaBfromwindsor
on 8/14/17 2:42 pm

Way to go Wayne sounds like your doing an amazing job! Glad to her u r doing so much more in life as to going out in nature! What an extremely amazing adventure u have had this summer! I also have my 6 month check up on wed to find out how all my blood work have been and see how much I have lost! I have also been at a stand still and it really is bothering me but they say this is normal ( it's my first stall and it's been about 2 weeks now). People r still telling me that I am losing weight but the scale isn't moving! I don't really get how this happens? Congradulations at all of your accomplishments so far! So proud of u!

Angela

Orientation Feb, 1,2016

Meet Dr.Bohjani Jan.18,2017- 286lbs

Started optifast Jan.26,2017

Surgery date Feb,13,2017- 268lbs

leeann73
on 8/14/17 6:52 pm

I am almost at the 6 month mark. Feb 21st was my surgery. I have been in a stall for 3 weeks but likely due to my snacking. This week people are telling me how much more I have lost but I haven't so maybe things shifting around.

Wayne, I have followed you from the beginning as you are about 16 days ahead of me. Lol. Do not know why that number sticks in my head. You are doing great and I always enjoy reading your updates.

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Kathy1212
on 8/14/17 11:10 pm

Congratulations, Wayne, you're living life to the fullest and enjoying it! That is so great! I'd so love to try kayaking.

Let me know how you like bike riding (and may I recommend a gel seat cover, lol).

I take the Celebrate Multi with Iron...no calcium in mine so I have to take calcium separately (at a later time). I wish I could buy them locally.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Linda M.
on 8/15/17 6:54 am - Orillia, Canada

We need to hear from you more Wayne - you have so much to share and to offer. Look at your current weight on your tracking - I think you've lost 100 more - lol. And you call that a stall ...

Always love hearing your updates. Congratulations on your accomplishments to date!

Linda

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

Wayne H.
on 8/15/17 7:28 am
RNY on 02/08/17

Thank You Ladies. I always appreciate the Feed back and encouragement.

I did not post for a while because I felt I had nothing to report due to the Stall, but then again I am having small NSV's all the time now and those are indeed fun to experience.

Most Active
Recent Topics