QUESTION FOR THE NEWBIES FROM AN OLDIE!!

lexxiblue
on 8/4/18 10:25 am, edited 8/4/18 10:26 am
RNY on 01/11/12

I'm 6+ years out... was at an amazing Meet n Greet in Barrie this past spring. Had a vendor there pushing Celebrate products.. vitamins, etc. I asked him about this and what the difference was between this pill and the prenatal i was told to take many years ago. He questioned me as to why i'm taking a prenatal?? I said this is what my clinic told me to take. I had surgery at St Joe's in Hamilton. My blood work is good with what i take now.. but if i can lessen my pills that would be great! Have they changed the required vitamin intake and suggested this Celebrate product?? Apparently it covers more than just the prenatal vitamin.. i BELIEVE (not really sure)... it also includes Vitamin D and a few others... can someone clarify this please!!!!

kamac
on 8/4/18 12:09 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

Celebrate is one of the vitamins my center recommends (I'm in Kingston).

According to my center, if you take Celebrate (4 tablets a day), you only need an iron supplement on top of it.

Otherwise, they recommend either Centrum Select 50+ chewables (2 per day), or One A Day Woman (crushed, 2 per day). With these two options, you need to take supplemental iron, Vit B12, Vit D, and calcium.

Or, one can choose their own multivitamin & supplement mix, as long as the dosages meet the recommended criteria.

I've got a bottle of Celebrate in front of me now, here's some numbers, per 1 tablet:

Vitamin D 19 ug
Vitamin B12 250 ug
Calcium (calcium citrate) 375 mg

Let me say I HATE Celebrate multivitamin chewable tablets. They make me very nauseous, sometimes to the point of vomiting. Even when taken with food. But obviously most people take them with no trouble.

I gave up on Celebrate and decided to go with Jamieson Prenatal chewables, because I saw that many posters take prenatals. I also take Vit D drops, a Vit B12 sublingual, calcium chews, Celebrate iron+C (their iron chewable doesn't bother me at all), and an extra Vit C chewable to ensure iron absorption (as I don't believe the C in the Celebrate iron supplement is sufficient).

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

lexxiblue
on 8/4/18 1:37 pm
RNY on 01/11/12

thanks for your reply.. truly appreciated.. and congrats on your weight loss!!!

kamac
on 8/4/18 2:04 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

Thanks, lexxiblue! Let me know if you'd like any more info from the Celebrate label, I'd be happy to post it.

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

SweetRide1
on 8/4/18 7:23 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

I came through Hamilton and was never advised to take the prenatal vitamins. I am post menopause and my understanding was that I did not require the iron and folic acid that comes with the prenatal vitamins. I was told to take the women's multivitamin and the recommended brand was Kirkland. That's what I've been taking for the past year and my blood work is spot on. In addition I take calcium citrate and D3 along with B12.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

lexxiblue
on 8/13/18 3:23 am
RNY on 01/11/12

boy times have changed! and so has the program... and each clinic is so different! thanks!

Kaylar
on 8/6/18 8:34 pm - Toronto, On

I was also advised to take prenatal vitamins after my surgery in October of last year. In my case it was for the higher iron content. I have a mild-ish case of iron deficiency anemia, and the iron supplement I had been taking up to that point (feramax) doesn't work as well post op because of how thick the capsule is.

I'm not well versed in what other differences there are between regular and prenatal vitamins, but maybe there was something like that in your case? Or I suppose it could be that the recommendations have changed since you had your surgery.

Either way, I'd just give your centre a call and ask why they were recommended in the first place. Then if there's nothing in your file that makes them think it's necessary you can ask about this other kind. :)

lexxiblue
on 8/8/18 5:22 am
RNY on 01/11/12

thanks for your reply!! i was just wondering what the clinics were giving the newbies today!! my bloodwork is done regularly with no issues... and glad to hear someone is still taking prenatal vitamins!! good luck!

linda11665
on 8/7/18 10:46 am - Ottawa, Canada

Hi Everyone, I am 7 years out and was never told to take a prenatal in fact the prenatal has too much folic acid for us. Celebrate vitamins have come along way since 7 years. With alot of consumer complaints they are trying to make a vitamin that you can take with one. But their vitamins contradict what I was told 7 years ago, not to take iron with calcium. Who knows, I guess my degree in nutrient doesn't matter either

I for one, use patch md. I cannot tolerate iron pills or the calcium citrates any longer. They are a bit more expensive, (it really is the shipping that is expensive) however, Celebrate, Kirkland brands are the norm.

Make sure that you take calcium citrate. I hear too many times someone taking calcium carbonate/citrate and say their blood work is fine, then to find out they have osteoporosis.

Celebrate is trying hard to keep our business.

P.S. my blood work has been fine for over 7 years.

Hope this helps

Linda

Choose love, power, and acceptance instead of what we default to which is fear, dependence, and intolerance
lexxiblue
on 8/8/18 5:21 am
RNY on 01/11/12

thanks for your input... i attended a meet n greet this past spring and the guy was just trying to sell me on the celebrate brand i'm sure!!

Most Active
Recent Topics