SLEEP TEST always needed??

Mellywog
on 9/10/18 8:34 am
RNY on 06/17/19

SO .. after reading a bunch of advise from people on this forum about getting tests completed to speed up the process, I went to my doctor and requested a sleep study.

She asked if I was having issues sleeping. I told her I was not but wanted to get it completed for WLS. She would not give me a requisition because she said it was not needed.

I was under the impression that everyone need to complete this test.. am I wrong?

Greatmum41
on 9/10/18 9:20 am

Not everyone needs to complete this tes. I was one of those that did not need to have it done. I'm not sure what the parameters are but I remember the story measuring my neck and asking if anyone has mentioned that I snore. So maybe you will be a lucky one and not have to get it done.

Chrissyq333
on 9/10/18 9:37 am - Sudbury, ON
RNY on 10/29/18

I did not need one. I had to fill out a questionnaire they call the "Stop Bang" I think. They ask you certain questions, if you snore etc.. pertaining to Sleep Apnea and if you say yes to 3 or more questions then you should go for the sleep study. I only had 2 yeses, therefore it was not a requirement.

Referral date: March 20, 2018 Orientation Date: May 30, 2018 Surgery date: October 29, 2018 with Dr Rotstein at St Micheal's in Toronto.

Mellywog
on 9/10/18 10:05 am
RNY on 06/17/19

Thanks, I just found the test online and I only had one 'yes' so fingers crossed, I should not have to do one.

kamac
on 9/10/18 9:58 am
VSG on 07/09/18

I suspect every centre might have a different protocol. I'm in Kingston, and was told they generally like to have a sleep study that isn't more than 2 years old. However, it's up the head nurse to decide, based on your medical history, BMI, etc.

I had a sleep study done maybe 3 years ago, but they didn't require me to have another (I only have mild apnea that does not require the use of a CPAP).

I would wait and see what your bariatric centre says. If they want you to have one, they'll do the requisition.

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

Mellywog
on 9/10/18 10:07 am
RNY on 06/17/19

Thank you. I agree, I am going to wait because I honestly don't think I need one.

VioletFemme
on 9/10/18 10:07 am - Greater Toronto Area, Canada

For Toronto Western Hospital it depends on the circumference of neck.

Female 30s Canada
RNY January 4, 2019
I lost 100% of my excess weight.
Currently re-comping body/losing vanity pounds prior to plastics.

jayjen789
on 9/10/18 10:18 am - Greater Toronto Area, , Canada
RNY on 12/12/18

Like you...I have read that a sleep test may be needed. My family doctor wanted me to do one so that it does not delay the process for me. I did the sleep study and have mild sleep apnea. The cardiologist said that I can wait to see what the centre says about needing to use a CPAP for surgery...he was confident that with even 20 lost pounds I would not need it.

It's kind of a double edge sword, you don't want it to hold up your progress, but you also don't want to be in my situation waiting to see what the internist says after the fact.

Since your doctor says you don't need it, I wouldn't pu****

Referral May 2018, Humber River (HRRH) Orientation June 2018...Surgery December 2018

Mellywog
on 9/10/18 10:51 am
RNY on 06/17/19

Thanks JayJen,

It is great that your doctor is being proactive!

I just found out today that my referral was sent (August) to Humber River also!

wrkinprogress
on 9/11/18 11:33 am, edited 9/11/18 4:34 am

Hi Melly,

I have been doing all of my appointments through HDGH and our paperwork says that the sleep test is required for anyone with a BMI near 50 so I did have to have the sleep study done. I did mine in Leamington which was a much shorter wait time than Windsor and ended up finding out I have severe sleep apnea even though I don't generally snore and thought I slept just fine.

My results showed 120 apneas/hour so that's twice every minute.

I'm now on CPAP therapy and have 1-2 apneas/hour. (I now never feel tired at work in the afternoon)

Don't be too worried if you do end up having to go for the testing... it's really not a big deal other than some time out of your schedule.

Best of luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics