Anyone else afraid?

JessShearon
on 12/18/18 7:10 pm
RNY on 01/08/19

My surgery is scheduled January 8th and I have my last appointment on Thursday. Is anyone else terrified? I'm not afraid of complications, just that I haven't done enough or I'm not ready. I've never been overly confident about my willpower, I'm just worried that I'll fail. Is that normal?

Livebetter
on 12/18/18 8:30 pm

Hi Congratulations on your surgery date. I am having surgery on January 16th and feeling the exact same way. My surgery is in Guelph, Ontario. I live 2 hours away from the hospital and that what gets me but otherwise they are a wonderful group. I go to a local bariactric support group that helps me and give emotional support. GOOD LUCK, You will be okay.

SweetRide1
on 12/19/18 3:21 am
RNY on 01/16/18

A lot of emotions come to the surface the closer you get to surgery. I had a ton of them. The closer I got, the more emotional I became.

I was afraid, sad, worried and right up until surgery day, ready to pull the plug on the whole thing and then I had a talk with myself and realized that I was ready. I wanted to do this and that only good was on the "other side".

One day at a time.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

LeslieCL
on 12/19/18 5:17 am

I did have anxiety, but I would come here and be reassured. And almost a year later, the best thing I could have done for myself and I feel fantastic. A few days of discomfort then you are home free. However, You May have problems if you don't plan. Stay away from forbidden foods that slide down easy. You will be fine.

Referred January 7/17, Orientation Humber May 28/17, Meet Dr. August 4/17, TRIO November 3/17, Internist November 21/17, Surgeon again December 21/17, Pre-op assessment January 4/18 and Surgery January 12/18.

Jo0710
on 12/22/18 6:56 am

It happens. I was laying on the table and still second guessing my decision and telling myself I could get up and walk away from it.

almost 2 years later, besides my children and my hubby - it's the best decision I've ever made.

RNY Jan 16/17 Surgery @ St. Mikes with Dr. Rotstein. Pre-Surgery -20lbs & Optifast -15lbs. Year 1 Loss after RNY: 131lbs

**Half the woman I was**

shiney
on 12/28/18 5:20 pm

I feel like I will be very anxious ahead of the surgery. Did anyone get anxiety meds at their pre-op?

*TWH* Referral - December 2017; Orientation - March 2018; SW Assessment - May 2018; Nurse Practitioner - June 2018; Nutrition Class - June 2018; Psych - August 2018; Dietitian - August 2018; Appt. w/ Surgeon - November 2018; Surgery date - January 2019

Weight loss

Pre-surgery: 14, M1: 18, M2: 9, M3: 8, M4: 10, M5:6 , M6:9

Geminisun1984
on 12/31/18 4:03 pm
RNY on 01/18/19

I have an anxiety disorder and panic attacks and my medication and mental health was one of the first things I addressed as I looked into surgery. I have worked with my doctor and bariatric NP and have adjusted my meds to something I can take long term after surgery and the anesthesiologist has also prescribed me extra anxiety medication for the day before and day of surgery. I cannot stress enough how supportive my "team" has been. I have also been told so many great stories of people with horrible anxiety issues getting so much better after having wls and gaining self esteem back!
If you think you will need some medication then I would just ask! Be honest and I am sure they will do anything they can to make you feel better!!

Geminisun1984
on 12/31/18 3:58 pm
RNY on 01/18/19

I can totally relate. My surgery is scheduled for January 18th in Toronto (My youngest daughters 11th birthday) and I am also on day 4 of optifast (and feeling super crappy) and I am wondering if I am making the biggest mistake of my life ... I know I am not and that this super scary time will pass and I cannot wait to be on the other side of this - on the losers bench as I have seen some call it. But it is scary. We hear the worst in the news and online because they like to sensationalize everything but the reality is this is a safe, proven and effective way to lose weight and become healthier than we would be staying the course were all on! I don't know if I would ever classify myself as "ready" as I'm sure there's always going to be something that we could have or should have done but as long as you are following your doctors plan and have met all the criteria and are learning and practicing new ways to deal with stress and all the emotions that come along with such a big life change then you will be just fine!
No one said it would be easy but I'm sure it will be worth it!
Good luck! I hope you post updates as I'll be following to see how you're doing!!

- Jenn

Most Active
Recent Topics