Its been 2 weeks since I saw the surgeon to sign my consent form. Surgery was scheduled for the end of next week. I was surprised during the consult when Dr informed me he wasn't sure my liver would be able to sustain the RNY procedure, and he might have to do the sleeve instead. After driving home, I had serious second thoughts. As I understood it, the sleeve doesn't offer the same advantages as RNY with regard to decreased hunger and "curing" Diabetes type II.
I had already started Optifast, had hotel booked, family support in place etc only to second guess my decision. I have up to 1 year to reschedule - but I had carefully planned the timing of the surgery with regard to work schedule, weather etc etc. I'm disappointed, sad and unsure. I am going to phone next week to schedule another appointment with surgeon to ensure I understand clearly.
Has anyone else had this type of experience?
From what I can ascertain, your surgery is not postponed, but rather to continue but with the sleeve rather than the RNY? Is that correct? I know during the various appointments I have had, they clearly indicated that there are occasions when the surgeons will determine one surgery is preferable to the other, based on the patient's medical history and issues (and sometimes patient preference as I know several people who opted for the sleeve versus the RNY). At my nutrition appointment a few weeks ago, the nutritionist indicated that sometimes what happens is they do one surgery, once that is done and over with and the patient progresses losing weight etc, then the other one is done. So if the surgeon is saying he feels your health won't allow for the RNY at this juncture, it most likely doesn't mean "never" - and I would seriously listen to his expertise. My sister had the sleeve and lost 50 lbs in six months! My understanding is the sleeve also suppresses hunger hormones to a certain extent; and the smaller pouch makes it uncomfortable to eat big portions.As a type 2 diabetic myself, I know that even relatively small losses can impact the numbers - for the better. So it is of course your choice and a good idea to revisit with the surgeon, but this doesn't sound like a bad first step. By the time you've lost some weight (due to sleeve working)- you can perhaps look down the road at the RNY - something to discuss with your surgeon.
My surgeon said the same thing. I made it clear I wanted RNY and he said that he would see when he got in there whether he could do RNY safetly. I signed a consent for the sleeve with possible RNY. My BMI was 63. They generally don't like to do RNY in my region over a BMI of 60. I did optifast for 1 month and I guess I was able to shrink my liver enough because I woke up with a RNY. He said it was tricky but he did it and I was thrilled. That aside, I would have still did the sleeve as he explained that you can revised to RNY if you don't get the results with sleeve. However, many people have been very successful with the sleeve also and I was going for it either way. I wish you all the best whatever you decide.
Referral: March 2017, Orientation: June 2017, Nurse, Social Worker, Nutritionist, Pharmacist: Dec 2017, Physiotherapist and f/u with Nurse: Feb 2018, Meet Dr. Lindsay: Feb 2018, Pre-Op Feb 26, 2018, Start Optifast (4 weeks): Feb 27, 2018, SURGERY: MARCH 27/18 at St. Joseph's in Toronto with Dr. Lindsay. Height 5'2," 49 Years old, Hw: 365, Pre-Op Weight (start of Opti 355), SW 334 CW 180. Weight Loss: Pre-op -19, M1 -23, M2 -18, M3-18, M4-14, M5-14 M6-10, M7-14 M8-8, M9-14 M10-5, M11-10 M12-0 :(, M13 -3
I feel you should trust the surgeon's judgement and do what they recommend. They are educated and have the experience. Either way, you still need to do the work after surgery.
I haven't had surgery yet, but it was discussed at the orientation that it is up to the surgeon as to what type of surgery they decided is best for you.
Wishing you luck.
Referral: Feb 14/17 Processed: Apr 28/17 Hamilton Orientation: July 24/17 Pre-Nutrition: Oct 27/17 Re-Do Hamilton Orientation: Apr 29/19