Hernia Repair and Lower Body Lift

serenissima
on 4/8/09 1:37 am - RI
Hello, everyone,

I have a date of July 9 for my hernia repair and lower body lift.  I figure I'll be out of work for about three to four weeks, but I do have a couple of questions.

How many compression garments should you have?  I figure one to wear while the other one is washed out?  And, I'm sure this is a really, really dumb question, but bear with me:  how long after the surgery before I can shower?  I'm sure I'll be able to wash my hair in the kitchen sink, right? 

And, back to the compression garment, how thick is it?  Is it noticeable through my regular clothing?  I'm asking because I know I'll be wearing it when I go back to work, and I was wondering how loose the clothing should be.  And, one last question:  is the compression garment one piece?  What does it look like, and how do you get it to slide up over your body?

Yikes!  More questions than when I had gastric bypass!

Thanks.
Angensam
on 4/8/09 3:11 am - Atlanta, GA
I have two garments. They wrap around your torso with velcro closures. They sort of look like a really big ace bandage. There are 3 size adjustments so as your swelling reduces, you can tighten the garment. It's about as thick as a girdle and you can't really see it under your clothes. Once your drains come out, your doctor may recommend some version of Spanx which of course you step into and pull up. some folks on this board went right into these kids of garments. Your doctor will tell you what he/she prefers. I still have two drains and once those are out, I will switch to the Spanx made for Target. I also had a thigh lift, so I'm looking forward to giving my poor thighs a little support. LOL.

Your doctor will tell you about showering. My doctor said 24 hours. Others on this board have had to wait longer. I will tell you that your first shower will feel great but will wipe you out. Make sure someone is home with you to help you get in and out and dry off and collapse into bed. I slept 3 hours after my first shower.

Hope this helps!
Regina

Almost to goal!
Regina

serenissima
on 4/8/09 3:22 am - RI
Hi, Regina,

Thank you for your answer.  You answered everything I needed to know.

Lynne R.
on 4/8/09 8:48 pm - Houston, TX
I had two garments. They were one piece with a zipper, long legs and came up to just under my breasts. They were not noticeable under clothes.

I took my first shower before I left the hospital. The biggest problem with taking a shower is what to do with the drains. Fortunately, my shower has shelves in one corner and I found I could put the drain bulbs there if I was careful.

When you get out of the shower, lay down naked for about an hour before you get back into your garment. That will give your incisions a chance to get completely dry before you put it back on.

I went back to work at about two weeks. (If Dr. L reads this I am in trouble LOL.)

Lynne

serenissima
on 4/8/09 10:15 pm - RI
Good to hear (about the two weeks - and I won't say anything to your doctor ).  Isn't it funny the things we worry about?  Not:  how long will it take me to heal?  But:  when can I take a shower and wash my hair?

Thanks for your input, too.  It's been most helpful.
Most Active