Need Advice, Part 2!

Stacey S.
on 4/7/09 5:35 am - Albertville, MN
Apparently, I am quite lame when it comes to posting.  I must have had some technical difficulties last night.  I apologize.  Anyhow, here goes again:

I had a tummy tuck and my arms done in April of 2008.  My tummy tuck has turned out to be WONDERFUL!!!  But ever since I could take off the bandages, it seemed as though there wasn't a ton of difference with my arms.  There was still a lot of hanging skin.  So, almost from my first checkup, I pointed out that my arms didn't seem a whole lot different.  I kept getting told by my plastic surgeon that there was swelling and could be for up to a year.  Ok, I get that.  But...my arms still have a lot of excess hanging skin.  To be honest, I don't see a huge difference from my before and after pics.  I again brought this up to him in February.  He said that we could redo my arms, but that I would have to pay for the anesthesia and operating room, because he "can't lose money".  I don't want to be a wench, but I am so not happy with my arms and I am not sure what to do.  Do I again talk to him about it?  Do I talk to a lawyer?  Do I have any chance in hell of him fixing his mistakes?  I am looking for any words of wisdom that any of you may have! 

Thanks in advance
I truly appreciate it!
Stacey
jon1970
on 4/7/09 6:07 am
Who was your surgeon? I am about to get some work done and it sounds like your guy might be one to avoid.

Jon
Stacey S.
on 4/7/09 6:57 am - Albertville, MN
Jon,

I had the surgeries in IL, so I think you are safe.  My bariatric surgeon was going to refer me to Dr. Peter Vogt.  One of my friends ended up having surgery with him and he was WONDERFUL to her!  Just an FYI!

Stacey
BigCityGirl
on 4/7/09 6:36 am - San Diego, CA
Stacey,

You didn't post any photos of your arms - many of us who have had the procedure can let you know if we think you had a bad job or an average job.  These brachioplasty surgeries often require revisions.  I had a revision on my arms.  Paying for the anesthesiologist and OR is standard for revisions - everyone pays this.  Unless your arms are butchered and/or you've lost the use of your arms and hands then you probably don't have much of a lawsuit.  And remember this, unless your surgeon is a charlatan, once you sue it's hard to get another surgeon to touch you.  The other surgeons in your area will find out.

My advice is to make nice with your surgeon - after all, he did do a good job on your TT.  I'm sure he can fix your arms - pay the extra money and get your arms revised.   
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
Stacey S.
on 4/7/09 6:55 am - Albertville, MN
Thanks for the info.  I guess this is what I needed to know.  It just sucks to have to fork out for something I've already paid once for.  Do you suggest getting quotes from other surgeons or sticking with the one I have???
BigCityGirl
on 4/7/09 7:32 am - San Diego, CA
Stacey,  You need to stay with your surgeon or you will have to pay for a new surgeon's fee as well.  The anesthesia and the OR are small change compared to the surgical fee. Out here in California, a new surgery with a new surgeon would be over $10,000.  And it is hard to find another surgeon to work on your arms if you go in with the attitude that your brachiplasty was a failure. 

Communicating with your surgeon is very important.  Leave your emotions at home.  Make another appointment and explain that you would like a revision and ask him to explain very carefully just how much improvement he can expect to get with a revision.  Ask him to show you photos of his past brachioplasty patients and then have him show you with photos what result you can reasonably expect from this second surgery.  Remember, your surgeon wants you to be happy.  None of us end up perfect - improvement is all we can hope for. 

How about putting up some photos and we'll let you know what we think you can expect from a revision.  Lots of us here have had our arms revised. 
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
jon1970
on 4/7/09 8:59 am
I am in illinois as well so it very well could be an issue.
ng
on 4/14/09 12:11 pm - Southwest, LA
i doubt if it would do much good, because taking too little is being conservative................... if he took way too much and the wound had too much stress on it and didn't heal and left big gaping wounds.............. maybe then you could win, but he did offer to redo it if youpaid for the operating room and anesthesia............. that would work against you. 
Most Active