Surgery Center vs Hospital OR ?

Kathie L.
on 4/20/09 3:01 am - Castaic, CA

Hi Cindy,

I had two separate operations both done in surgical centers. I was able to purchase additional insurance (a little over $100) that would cover me to go to a hospital if there were any complications. I also went to recovery centers after my two procedures. Another thing to consider when making your arrangements is that there are far fewer germs and sick people in a recovery center then there are in a hospital. While I was recently recovering at a 4 Star Hotel in Beverly Hills I thought about the germ factor and was glad I was there.

I've had 4 surgeries in 18 months (RNY- 10/07; Hip Replacement 4/08; Upper Body Lift 10/08; Lower Body Lift 3/09) with the first two at regular hospitals and the last two at surgery centers. I'm so glad that the surgery centers are available since they are much less expensive then hospitals when you are paying out of pocket. I'm totally satisfied with where I went and 100%+ satisfied with my amazing surgeon, Dr. Katzen.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

California Kathie
RNY - 10/07
Rt. Hip Replacement - 4/08
Upper Body Lift - 11/08 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
Lower Body Lift - 3/09 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
sablouwho
on 4/21/09 1:28 am - La La Land, CA
Hi Kathie~

I see we have the same WLS surgeon!

Good point about the germs, etc.

I'm curious what recovery facility you used? Did Katzen give you a list to pick from? I was thinking you might have gone to the Palomar but that's more Westwood than BH.

Also curious about your plastics. How did you know you were "ready" to start your plastics? Were you at your desired weight or above it? Did Katzen have anything to say about how close you should be to your desired weight before surgery?

Thanks for any info you're willing to share!

~Cindy  

Watch my first appearance on
The Doctors TV Show   (aired Dec 2008)
Plastics done by Siamak Agha, MD (lower body lift/spiral thigh lift) in Dec 2009, breast 

Cynthia's Lower Body Lift procedure by Dr. Siamak Agha
 this includes footage from my first and second appearance on The Doctors as well as footage of my actual surgery

Kathie L.
on 4/21/09 1:40 am - Castaic, CA
Hi Cindy,

I was at my goal weight for 3 months when I had my first consultation with Dr. Katzen. He has free seminars every month and I attended one in Orange County and knew from that moment that he was the surgeon that I wanted. I then consulted with another 5 surgeons, but each consultation conviced me more and more that Dr. Katzen was the right surgeon for me. Everything I read said that you should be at your desired weight (of course you need to take into consideration that you may have lots of skin to remove....he removed 11 lbs. from my lower body lift).

Both of my surgeries were performed in Newport Beach. Dr. Katzen has many different locations where he performs his surgeries. Newport Beach facility was quite a bit less expensive than Beverly Hills, but a further drive for me. After my first procedures in November I went to a recovery place called Roses Retreat in Laguna Beach. Beckie was the most amazing nurse ever and I couldn't even think about going anywhere else after being with her for the night. That's why I selected to return to Newport Beach in March....however by that time unfortunately Roses Retreat was closed because she lost her lease. YIKES! I was very disappointed. 

I spent two nights at Shanteque in Westwood. It was located in a beautiful hotel and the accommodations were excellent. I missed my experience from Roses Retreat however.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'd be happy to talk to you on the phone if you'd like. It's an amazing journey and I'm so happy with my results and to be at the end of this journey!

California Kathie
RNY - 10/07
Rt. Hip Replacement - 4/08
Upper Body Lift - 11/08 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
Lower Body Lift - 3/09 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
Most Active