Surgery Center vs Hospital OR ?

sablouwho
on 4/19/09 5:35 am - La La Land, CA
What are the pros/cons of a surgery center versus hospital OR for a Lower Body Lift? 

FWIW-I am (knock wood) in good health. (Thank goodness for WLS--that has helped me get so much healthier!) So I don't think that there is any particular health issue that makes it advisable for me to go to the hospital.
~Cindy  

Watch my first appearance on
The Doctors TV Show   (aired Dec 2008)
Plastics done by Siamak Agha, MD (lower body lift/spiral thigh lift) in Dec 2009, breast 

Cynthia's Lower Body Lift procedure by Dr. Siamak Agha
 this includes footage from my first and second appearance on The Doctors as well as footage of my actual surgery

Cindy O.
on 4/19/09 5:57 am - Bryan, TX
Before you go in for surgery at a stand alone center, ask what the procedure is in case of complications.  Do they have a transfer agreement with a hospital near by?  Do they have overnight care at the stand alone center? 

If your case is uncomplicated, and you progress as "normal" a stand alone surgi center can be a great place to have PS done.  And, it is generally somewhat less expensive than a hospital would be.

Good Luck,
Cindy O.
magnet

I do not give medical advice.  I offer my opinion, nothing more. 
sablouwho
on 4/19/09 6:15 am - La La Land, CA
Thanks Cindy! These are good questions to ask--I will do just that!

I do know that the overnight stay (3 nights total, I think) are a little less if I use an aftercare facility instead of the hospital.  But I didn't realize that the OR fee would also be less at the surgi-center.

Someone recently told me that she thought that PS's make more $$ if you use the surgery center since they often have a financial stake/part ownership in them. Do you think this is a conflict? (Maybe this is why they can control the fees--since there isn't a middle man?)

(FWIW, both facilities use anesthesiologists and not NAs so that would be the same no matter where I go.)
~Cindy  

Plastics done by Siamak Agha, MD (lower body lift/spiral thigh lift) in Dec 2009, breast 

this includes footage from my first and second appearance on The Doctors as well as footage of my actual surgery

Cindy O.
on 4/19/09 6:22 am - Bryan, TX
No, I don't think there is a problem with the surgeons being part owners of the surgery centers.  It is very commonplace, and probably exactly the reason the fees are somewhat less.

Cindy O.
magnet

I do not give medical advice.  I offer my opinion, nothing more. 
gypsywoman6789
on 4/19/09 6:45 am - Hudson, NH
I had mine done at a hospital but I don't think there is anything wrong with a surgery center as long as you check it out fully.  Again,  I would agree with the other posters that the surgeon having a stake in the center might make him more $ in the end but it also allows him to control much of the costs.  Since his name is directly connected to the surgical center he certainly has all the motivation in  the world to be sure it maintains a solid reputation in the community if he's any good at what he does!

If your health is good and your procedure is "routine" I think a Surgery Center would be just fine.  If your health is more complicated or you're having lots of procedures done at once, well then I might reconsider and really weigh if the cost differnece is worth it to you.

Best of luck.
totalfreedom
on 4/19/09 7:11 am - Northern CA
Hi Cindy,

My first procedure (s) with Agha I had done at the hospital.  Because of the multiple procedures, overnight stays and Dr. Agha's request that I do it at the hospital were the reasons I went there instead of the surgery center. 

My 2nd stage I will have done at the surgery center.  My 3 other consults were with surgeons who all had a financial interest in the surgery center.  I don't have a problem with that, in fact, I would consider it a pro as they have a vested interest in the center's reputation, etc.  Do make sure the center is accredited.  Interesting though not one of those surgeons suggested I have my first stage (LBL/BL/BA) at a hospital or have a hospital stay.  Dr. Agha did perform more procedures adding the Butt Aug and Thigh lift, so I assume he was more concerned with safety and wanted me to spend the night at the hospital.  You cannot spend more then 23 hrs at a surgery center.

I am not so sure on the cost difference.  I don't think it varies that much.  Hoag has a special rate for plastics. 

To save costs I would go with the surgery center and hire nursing for the first couple of days say coming 2x a day for 2 to 4 hrs each.  If I had to spend the night, I would go to Hoag and then add nursing again for the first couple of days at a hotel room (if out of town) or come to my home if I was local.  I would not go to a recovery center.  I think the nursing service at a hotel would be better.

Just my 2 cents.  Have you picked a date yet?

Kelli
5' 1, 221pds to 120pds, BMI: 42.5 to 22.8, Size 22WP to 2P.  
Dr. Agha-Newport Beach, CA:  
12.29.08:TT/LBL/UTL/BL/Butt Aug!
 5.10.09: Face/Neck Lift,Implants,lipo, lower eyelids,fat transfer

sablouwho
on 4/19/09 10:50 am - La La Land, CA
Thanks for the detailed reply.

I haven't picked a date yet but am getting closer to figuring that out. I have to wait till June as I right now I am ony 10 months post-op and need to be 12 months post-op. Also, have to coordinate w/my family as they aren't local and they want to be here).

Curious as to why you didn't think nursing care would be good in a recovery center?

FWIW--I am "sort of" local. I live in LA. But NB is around 50 miles away. So I will want to stay in the area of NB afterwards so I don't have to travel too much for f/u visits those first few days after I'm done w/the nursing care.
~Cindy  

totalfreedom
on 4/19/09 12:19 pm - Northern CA

The nursing care may be good in a recovery center.  I have never used one. I am only going by the experience of one person.  So my comment is not really fair.  However, I do encourage getting references before using one. 

That is a good idea to stay in NB for a few days.  It is kind of tough to get around your area down there, with traffic and all.

Glad to hear you are getting closer.  Sounds like you will have family to help out as well.  It is nice to have someone at your beck and call that first week. 

By the way, it is official i will be coming down on may 10th for stage 2 (surgery day the 11th), face lift, neck lift and BA.  I plan to stay thru the 17th.  I am bringing my Mom with me to help out.  Not sure on the surgery time yet.  I feel so much more prepared this go around.  I am thinking the pain will actually be worse with the face, but having fewer procedures will be nice!

talk care,

Kelli
5' 1, 221pds to 120pds, BMI: 42.5 to 22.8, Size 22WP to 2P.  
Dr. Agha-Newport Beach, CA:  
12.29.08:TT/LBL/UTL/BL/Butt Aug!
 5.10.09: Face/Neck Lift,Implants,lipo, lower eyelids,fat transfer

w8'n no more
on 4/19/09 2:40 pm - middle of, IL
Now this is Chicago talking, but here surgery centers are WAY better than hospitals for procedures.  I had a procedure on Friday and they had heated IVs and designer gowns and I had my own nurse.  I've had several surgeries at hospitals and several at surgery centers.  I had good and bad experiences at both.  I thought Hoag hospital was wonderful.   It was clean, the nurses were terrific and they had students who were doing community service who came and fed me and stuff.  They were kinda my little gofers because I had all the lower body work plus my arms so I was pretty incapacitated.  When I had to use the restroom, the nurse was so kind and pleasant and patient.  You know, it can be hard to go when you have a bunch of drugs on board and you are in pain.  She also came in and brushed my hair and blew it dry.  My hair is super short, so it really wasn't necessary, but she came to talk and give me some TLC.  However, it was very expensive.  Definitely get more information on the surgery center.  The one I had Friday I would like to stay at for a weekend.  It was like the Four Seasons LOL!
Kathy
sw/cw/gw
269/136/141
Surgery Date 10/21/05  Dr. Anthone
Aspire to Inspire Before You Expire!
sablouwho
on 4/19/09 3:18 pm - La La Land, CA
Forget spending a weekend at this Four Seasons of surgi-centers -- sounds like a nice place to move in permanently!

Good to hear your thoughts on Hoag as that is my hospital option. The surgi-center is the one in Agha's building. I don't know much about them. I am sure the good doctor will tell me what he thinks is the best place for me when the time comes.

IIRC, you also stayed in a hotel afterward you left Hoag, right? Did you have a nurse when you were there? Where did you decide to stay and do you recommend it?
~Cindy  

Most Active