Did your insurance approve you? Why?

Michelle1130
on 3/24/11 12:49 pm - Fairbanks, AK
Like all insurance companies, I know mine (Banner Health) will want to see that having a tummy tuck is medically necessary.  I have a lot of loose skin hanging over my pubic area.  I can not sit or stand for any real legnth of time without my back growing very tired and achey.  I do not have any sores or rashes at this time but I fear that may happen in the future.  I am one year post op gastric bypass and lost 80 pounds now weighing 134.  My goal is 125 but I am healthy and feel great so if I don't hit 125, well I can live with that.  So, do I begin to have my wls surgeon and my internal med doc begin to document my back troubles in the hope that insurance may cover it?  Do you have any experience in this area?  I would love to hear what you think.  Thank you for your time.
ShrinkingBecky
on 3/26/11 2:35 am - KY
My insurance company (Cigna) approved me for panniculectomy only and that was actually a fairly easy process. After being turned down once, I had my doctor write a letter stating how much weight I'd lost, how long I'd been under a certain weight, and that I had a history of skin irritation due to the hanging pannus.

While my experience with insurance is different from yours, I would recommend that you start having your doctor document everything now.
Most Active