JP drain

novascotiadawn
on 3/25/11 8:16 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I know this should be a surgeons question, but, if one of you jp drains fell out and it isn't producing a lot of output, do you think it's ok? Is it your body healing and pushing it out? Mine hasn't but, it does feel like it has moved out a bit.

Hugs

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

(deactivated member)
on 3/26/11 7:25 am
It is rare that a surgeon would replace a jp drain, even if it was producing a fair amount before it fell out. These drains are put in place before they finish closing you up. To reinsert the drain would increase your chances of bleeding and infection. You might have increased leakage and slower healing of the wound hole where the tube was located or require extraction by syringe in the Drs office. Not all surgeons use drains.

Why do you think your's has moved out a bit? Each of mine (I had 6) were held in place by a fairly secure stitch and the internal drainage tube is fairly long, especially if it's draining the back area.

(deactivated member)
on 3/26/11 8:25 am - Canada

I was told that only one drain is needed but they use two just in case one stops working. However, mine too was well stitched in place and the tube part was super long when they removed it....maybe its not out as far as you might think? Is it stitched in place?

They will re-insert drains if they come out too early and they feel it necessary to put them back in but i cant imagine that being a very comfortable experience! Not sure how its done though.

Good luck my angel!

Hugs,

Liz

MSHAMO
on 3/27/11 2:44 am - AUBURN HILLS, MI
If your drains are stitched in, they probably won't fall out, although I have heard of it happening. When my PS started taking out drains, he had me gently massage the area that the drains were taken out of toward the area that still had a drain. Maybe if you measure the drain, if it gets longer you know it may be falling out. Good luck, you will love your PS!!!
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
Most Active