Starting the TT process

antonietta23
on 4/9/11 10:03 pm - Holbrook, MA
 i am soon going for consult for TT .  I live in Massachuetts and would love to know which doctors people have used. I am going for a consult at  Mass General I got referral from my wls surgeon.  I am sure I will have to self pay.  I would love any advice on what to ask or anything you find important.  Also would love to know what self paid people have paid for TT so that I do not have sticker shock.  I am also nervous because I am 55 years old,  I am sure all of you had concerns, Also from start to finish how long from consult is the average till surgery.  Thank You guys for all the support

shellymor
on 4/12/11 12:44 am - TX
Although I don't know any surgeons in Mass., I hope you are able to find one you are very comfortable with, and one who addresses your needs.

Make sure you ask lots of questions when you go in (writing them down beforehand really helps.) Ask recovery questions, too, and what your after care protocol will be. Find out nutrition info, and get blood work done. My surgeon, Dr. John LoMonaco, has co-authored a book on bariatric plastic surgery http://www.amazon.com/Bariatric-Plastic-Surgery-Cosmetic-Wei ght/dp/1886039925/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302619365&sr=8-1 that I just about memorized.

As far as your age, I am 49 right now and got myself into very good physical shape before my surgery. Fitness trumps age nearly all the time.

All the best to you!
avidreader
on 4/16/11 8:27 am - Cary, NC
Not in your area, but I just had an extended TT at age 53 (will be 54 next month) 1 week ago.  I know I will be very happy, especially after the drains come out on Monday and I can have a shower!!!  The first few days were rough - but I had it on a Friday and I was off the high power stuff by Sunday evening - nothing but ES Tylenol since then.  The hardest part for me is lying around doing NOTHING bu****ching TV - can't really concentrate enough to read yet. 

I have  been up and walking since Saturday and plan to return to work on the 25th, doing part days.

I actually paid $8200, total including anesthesia, for the surgery.  I had checked it out over 2 years ago, didn't want to pay out of pocket, and tried to live with the extra skin - and just got fed up and went for it.  The doctor took 8.5 pounds of skin and fat off, made me a waist and tightened the ab muscles.  He told my husband I was a tiny person under all that skin and fat.  He could not do the lipo on my flanks because there was no fat, only skin. 

I feel I was very prepared and things have gone really well - my anesthesia is finally wearing off - my only problem - making myself not lift, pull, push or do anything - and my house needs cleaning!!!

I would be happy to share more with you if you want.

Good luck!

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
Most Active