I thought I'd feel better by now!

jtsmom02
on 5/29/11 11:06 pm - Mineola, TX
I have to say, overall the pain / recovery was not as bad as I thought it would be the first week or so.  But now, I thought I'd be further along than I am.  I know this is normal and I have months to go before my full energy is back and so forth!  I guess I'm just venting! 

I weigh more now that I did before the doctor removed 5 pounds of fat and skin!  I feel bad just laying in bed but worse if I get up and do some of my normal activities.  Yuck, yuck, yuck! 

I see the doctor tomorrow for belly button stitches removal.  I'm also going back to work tomorrow and I'm definitely not feeling my best yet.  I'm not looking forward to it! 

Thanks for listening!  Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day! 

Laina B.
250 / 160
9/9/03 Lap RNY
(Dr Charles Beall, Tyler TX - AWESOME!!!)
5/13/11 Cholecystectomy, extended abdominoplasty (anchor cut), and mastopexy
(Dr Charles Beall and Dr James Saar, Tyler TX - AWESOME!!!)
8/26/11 Abdominoplasty revision
(Dr James Saar, Tyler TX - AWESOME!!!)

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/11 1:49 am
GREAT BIG ((((((((((HUGS))))))))))..!!!!! 
Loris
on 5/30/11 7:33 am - Midlothian, VA
An old time poster on this board used to say, measure your progress in weeks, not days.  I am sorry you feel bad.  I do think you are pushing things considering the extent of your work.  Maybe it is too soon to return to work.  I wish you well.  Loris

Loris  344/119@ 5'2" Below Goal                    
                                     Lower body lift  10/17/2007
                                     Upper body lift     1/23/2008

Iam_with_the_Band
on 5/30/11 9:53 am
I think you might be pushing it also.   You just had your surgery 17 days ago.  I'm there now, just 6 days post and I am exhausted. I do force myself to get up and go for a walk once a day. It makes my drains drain better and makes me feel that I'm going to get my energy back again.  Can you postpone returning to work? 

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

cyndi U.
on 5/30/11 10:44 am - forney, TX
I'm afraid I'm not much encouragement for you.  I had surgery over 3 weeks ago & still tire VERY easily.  Worked a full 4 days last week & have done NOTHING this 3 days off for Memorial Day but REST, it wore me out!  I'm still very sore in my stomach & especially in my thighs.  We just have to give ourselves more time.

Cyndi U
Gastric Bypass, Dr. Daniel Jones, Dallas, 2003
LBL, Lipo, Butt Aug, Full Thigh Lift, hernia repair - 5/5/11, Baylor Houston Residency Program - Dr. Echo & Dr. Bullocks
BL/BA, brachioplasty - 8/26/11, Baylor Houston Residency Program - Dr. Lee & Dr. Bullocks

J G.
on 5/30/11 2:15 pm
Laina, vent away.  We understand.  But hey, you had a lot of work done.  It's gotta take time to heal, right?

-  hugs, Jenny
jtsmom02
on 5/30/11 9:44 pm - Mineola, TX
Thank you everyone!  Part of my problem is emotional - the weight being up and being so swollen / sore I cannot wear my clothes.  I KNOW in my head it's all normal.  It's just wearing on me! 

Actually, I think going back to work will help.  I can set my own pace and I have a wonderful boss.  I will take it slow and be kind to myself!

Hope everyone has a great week! 

Laina B.
250 / 160
9/9/03 Lap RNY
(Dr Charles Beall, Tyler TX - AWESOME!!!)
5/13/11 Cholecystectomy, extended abdominoplasty (anchor cut), and mastopexy
(Dr Charles Beall and Dr James Saar, Tyler TX - AWESOME!!!)
8/26/11 Abdominoplasty revision
(Dr James Saar, Tyler TX - AWESOME!!!)

muffin27
on 5/30/11 10:37 pm - Canada
Laurieostrom
on 5/31/11 2:53 am
I'm right there with you!  I'm six weeks out and had a TT and BA with Lipo.  I have been battling the blues since.  I too, felt better then I thought the first week or two...and then......I seemed to nosedive.  It started making me depressed, and I'm still soooooo tired all the time.  The discomfort keeps me from getting a good night sleep, I think that's part of it.  I did some research and learned that depression after any surgery is very common.  Anesthesia and pain meds contain depressents, and they stay in your system for as long as 4 weeks.  Plus, you may have unrealistic expectations, guilt, certainly pain or discomfort.  It's no wonder!

I know it's hard, I'm going through it too, but the advice you are getting here is spot on.  Relax, slow down, take care of yourself.  The time will pass, you will heal and you will be happy.  I remember back to the time right after my RNY.  Can you remember how you felt then?  For me,  pain, sadness, scared.. I wanted to eat and couldn't.  I was scared and regrettful for a bit.  I remember being so tired...I remember wondering if I'd ever feel good again... And on top of all that,  it took a number of weeks to even begin to see some benefit from the surgery.   Right?  Now I look back and I feel none of that.  I do not regret having bypass surgery, but I did then...

This will pass, but don't overdo it to early...it could make it take longer to get back on your feet.

Good luck!
siberiancat
on 5/31/11 8:18 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
Nice reading replies.  I haven't got one the scales yet - just one week post op (TT and arm lift).

I'm walking, drinking lots of liquids and getting extra protein.

I'm also watching/listening/reading/doing positive things to keep my mind in a good space.  I've had several surgeries with general anesthesia and know it can be depressing.

Hoping the "routine" of work will be a help to you.

I'm trying to stay away from simple carbs and not playing 'mind games" regarding "you deserve_______" for being in so much pain, depressed, tired,sore, etc.

Trying to keep meals simple with protein drinks, protein solid food, veggies, frut and whole grains.  No carbonation, junk or fast foods.

Don't know if it will work but afraid of the trauma of this surgery getting me "off track."
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active