Finding a local surgeon

beemerbeeper
on 6/24/11 2:33 am - AL
I already have a cost from Dr S in Mexico but since "all" I am doing is face work I have been advised to get some local consults.  I also know that Medicare may pay for my upper eyelids (I already had the visiual field test) I might get a little help with that part at least.

But I have no idea how to find a qualified local surgeon.  The before and after photos I've seen from local surgeons look NOTHING like the mug I've got.  I would have been thrilled to have their BEFORES.

I do not have any friends who run in circles with people who have facelifts.  There are no bariatric surgeons in my town.

What do you think?

Thanks!!!

~Becky

Laura in Texas
on 6/24/11 2:51 am
OK, this may sound silly, but ask your hairdresser. Usually they know all the scoop on who's had good work done. People love talking to their hairdressers. That's how I found my plastic surgeon years ago when I had rhinoplasty.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

beemerbeeper
on 6/24/11 3:27 am - AL
Thanks Laura.  But my hairdresser serves lower income people and is just a southern country girl herself.  Now is one time I wish I knew the upper crust in my town.

~Becky

sotto_voce
on 6/24/11 6:34 am - Alpharetta, GA
I see that Dr. Smith did your DS. Would you consider coming back to Atlanta for plastics? There are many excellent cosmetic surgeons here!

Bethany

beemerbeeper
on 6/24/11 9:26 am - AL
Hey Bethany,

I could come to Atlanta but only if I can figure out a way to come alone.  I assume I wouldn't be alllowed to drive.  Not sure how I would manage that.  Any thoughts?

I had scheduled a bilateral beph last year but that surgeon wraps the eyes and leaves you "blind" for 3 days and I didn't have anyone to stay with and drive me so I couldn't do it.  That is one reason the program in Mexico would work for me.  I could go alone.

~Becky

Crazeru
on 6/24/11 6:34 am
Are their any teaching hospitals close to you?

If you can get a couple of free consults, take them and look at the facelift pics.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

beemerbeeper
on 6/24/11 9:19 am - AL
Hey Chris,

UAB is about 100 miles from me in Birmingham.  I just don't know how to pick a surgeon other than by looking at whatever they have on the web because I don't know anyone.  I'll leave a message on the Alabama forum but it is pretty slow there.  Atlanta is 3 hours so I'll leave a message on the GA forum and on the plastics forum too. 

~Becky

ilse72
on 6/24/11 8:49 am - AL
I did a lot of web searching and talking to others who had plastic surgery.  I checked out credentials and also looked at before and after photos.  I chose a local surgeon and it is costing me $1100 less than going to a Mexican surgeon (which is what I had planned to do, after all, I had my VSG in Mexico and was thrilled with the entire experience).  And, I would have had to stay in Mexico for 12 days at more expense which would have been a real  hardship as hubby works out of state and couldn't have taken off for that long.  I am very happy with my choice.

Height 5'1"  ~~~   Current weight 98 pounds.
Surgeon's goal 118 pounds (met March 18, 2009). 
My goal 105 pounds, met July 15, 2009.
beemerbeeper
on 6/24/11 9:17 am - AL
Where do you live?

ilse72
on 6/24/11 9:19 am - AL
I live in Montgomery, AL but will have surgery in Birmingham.

Height 5'1"  ~~~   Current weight 98 pounds.
Surgeon's goal 118 pounds (met March 18, 2009). 
My goal 105 pounds, met July 15, 2009.
Most Active