Is it worth it to have a Panniculectomy??

flo66
on 6/30/11 11:59 am - Corfu, NY
My insurance won't cover a full TT and I can't afford to pay out-of-pocket, but they WILL cover a Panniculectomy.  Is it worth it to have just that done?  I've got overhang for sure but it's not the worst I've ever seen.  It gets in the way and clothes don't fit right, but will these issues be better after a Panni removal??  I have to have a hernia repaired and I'm trying to decide if I should got for both or not.  All help/advice/opinions are welcome!
Thanks,
Flo

mkbeany
on 7/1/11 1:12 am
I don't know what kind of weight you lost or how you look but I can tell you this about me...my insurance is covering TT, pani, breasts and arms.
But even if they only covered the panni, I would have jumped on it.
I have lost 165 pounds. I pack my panni up like a fruit roll-up to get it in my underwear and pants.
But that's just me.

I think there are some on this board who have had a panni only...hopefully they will come along and post.

Good luck.
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
flo66
on 7/1/11 2:23 am - Corfu, NY
Thanks for the response.  :)  I've lost just about the same as you, 160-165 lbs. depending on the day I weigh, and I look pretty much like a melted candle.   I wish my insurance was as helpful as yours, congrats on getting everything covered!!  I'm leaning towards getting it done but was hoping to hear from others who have done just the panni too, to get an idea of their satisfaction level.
Thanks again!
Flo

siberiancat
on 7/1/11 3:29 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
My pannus wasn't that bad, but had some sagging above belly button too.  I opted to pay cash and had surgery in an acute care hospital.  Got good rates from hospital, anesthesia and plastic surgeon.

I had fleur de lis abdominoplasty & brachioplasty.  5 hours in surgery and overnight in hospital = $15k.

A panni removal would be less.  There are medical loans available and can also pay with credit card.

Keep looking for ways to get what you want done.  Best wishes.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Jobsies
on 7/2/11 8:10 pm - Pitman, NJ
Yes!!! It s well worth it! Just had the panni removal and hernia repair and I can't stop looking in the mirror --and I still have 75- 100 to lose for goal.

My surgeon recommended doing it since I needed the hernia done. I've lost almost 200 but for the past year I go up and down with the same 10 pounds.

Once released and back to my workouts I'm hoping I can kick it up and get more weight off...but I am still so happy with the results...

14 pounds lost before surgery. My first ticker is when I hit onderland: this was my goal when I started on this journey.  I want to focus on that right now...once I get there I can reevaluate.

My second ticker is my dream goal. Even if I only visit there for a short time, it would be nice to see that number just once.  I am pretty sure I'll need plastics to hit this goal.

Most Active