major swelling

lbaetz
on 7/8/11 6:07 am - St. Thomas, Canada
I had a circumfrential LBL 16 days ago and since i've gotten out of the hospital 3 days post surgery I have had extreme swelling from the groin down to the tips of my toes.  Extremelly painful to the point of hardly being able to walk.  Went for my first follow up appt on Wednesday and the surgeon was concerned as well and sent me right away to get a dopplar ultrasound to rule out blood clots.  Those results came back saying no clots which was wonderful but the suregon really never gave me any more insight into what to do etc.  I googled the problem and it seems it's not all that uncommon.  I found a pair of tights that were too small for me before so with my legs the size they are now are extremelly tight and am using them as support stockings to save some money.  I think I am seeing a bit of an improvement. 

Has anyone else dealt with this issue and can offer some insights?

Lori

Iam_with_the_Band
on 7/8/11 6:23 am
I am assuming you're not required to wear a compression garment?  I would be so swollen without mine!  I wear it 24/7 for 8 weeks and when I have it off, I swell up like a stuffed animal!  Is there anyway you can get a good compression garment?  I had a LBL and extended thigh lift 6 weeks ago.  I know some doctors don't require the compression garment, but I absolutely would just burst without one!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

lbaetz
on 7/8/11 6:27 am - St. Thomas, Canada
During surgery and while in the hospital  I was wearing compression stockings but never said anything after that.  Think I will have to break down nd get some though.  Thanks for your reply.

Lori

Lee ~
on 7/8/11 9:28 am - CA
I hope the swelling goes down and you feel better!  You must have been really scared when they sent you to test for blood clots.  Sending hugs your way!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Laura in Texas
on 7/8/11 11:08 am
I have swelling through my middle, but none on my legs. I've been wearing this garment and love the support. It has hooks and zippers on each side and is easy to get on and off.

http://www.makemeheal.com/mmh/product.do?id=66941

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

lbaetz
on 7/8/11 11:11 am - St. Thomas, Canada
Thanks for the tip laura.  I actually just ordered the silicone binder from that site.

Lori

Iam_with_the_Band
on 7/8/11 3:18 pm
I'm wearing the www.designveronique.com garment that goes all the way to my ankles.  I hope this helps you.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Laura in Texas
on 7/8/11 10:05 pm
Wow, Dee!! Are you still wearing it  most of the time? I wear mine about 22 hours a day, airing out an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. After another month, my ps said I could switch to a Spanx type garment. How are your thighs? I'm debating whether or not I ever want to do those (leaning towards not right now).

Laura

Laura in Texas

Laura in Texas
on 7/8/11 10:34 pm
Maybe you should look into getting a lymphatic message. I'm getting one in the next week or two. Here is an old post I found on the subject:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/plasticsurgery/3991669/Lym phatic-Massage-for-Swelling-long/

Laura

Laura in Texas

siberiancat
on 7/9/11 3:12 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I'm 6 weeks post fleur de lis (anchor cut) abdominoplasty with significant muscle work and brachioplasty.

I wore ACE bandages on my arms incisions 24/7 for 4 weeks. (I still wear them at night to hold silicone strips on incisions).

I have a complication from TT (skin necrosis with open wound) and I wear a compression garment with stays and hooks & eyes from bust to public bone & compression panty briefs over that - when I'm dressed and out of the house.  When home I put on an abdominal binder over wound and dressings and have compression panty briefs over that.

I wear compression 24/7 - except for taking showers.  I have to wear them till my next appt in 3 weeks - don't know about after that, but expect I need to wear compression until my open wound closes and that could take a couple more months.

I don't go out much in this Indiana heat - trying to stay cool.  I do have some swelling in belly below the belly button - but none above (flat as a pancake there.)
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active