Fleur de lis/Anchor/inverted T - Do most surgeons do it?

Laura in Texas
on 7/21/11 10:07 pm
Yep. I don't think Dr. L does many fleur-de-lis, even for those of us who have lost 200 pounds. 

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

JodiLee1
on 7/21/11 2:49 pm
My surgeon explained to me you can get away with a standard TT if you don't have a lot of fat/tissue left over above the umbilicus.  I had the fleur de lis due to the amount of tissue above and below the umbilicus.  He said the fleur de lis also cinches your waist and gives you some nice curves.  I am super happy with it.  I scar really well due to my light skin.  I've had lots of surgeries and you can barely see my scars.  My suture line is breast bone down to above the pubis/mons and across my pelvis (right at the thigh line) wrapping around approx 2 inches on my hips.  I like that because I don't think I'll have the "dog ear" appearance I've seen on TV and pics.  My sutures are pretty numb really.  I have some pulling and pain from the muscle repair but the skin sutures aren't bothering me.  I notice the skin more if I bend over to pick something up.  My breast lift and implants were much more painful.  I didn't expect that.  I tried some shirts on today and my belly looked great!  First time since I was about 8 years old that I have a flat tummy!  

siberiancat
on 7/23/11 3:42 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
My PS specializes in body sculpting after massive weight loss.  He wanted to do fleur de lis to do more sculpting in the waist area.  He took my waist in 4 inches.  It is very "hourglass".  I do think the circumferential incision is "less painful" and may heal with less complications.

Kinda depends on where your hanging skin is, what you want for a final result and what surgeon preference is.

I'm kinda wishing I would have had circumferential - but I do love my waist.  The anchor cut (fleur de lis) was very painful for the first 3 weeks.  I don't hear as many with circumferential complaining of the pain.  My PS told me the anchor cut is a tough procedure and pain is part of it.

Do your research and make sure the surgeon has lots of experience.  Ask how many of these procedures he's done in last 12 months.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active