Fleur de lis/Anchor/inverted T - Do most surgeons do it?

Thundergrrrl
on 7/21/11 5:31 am
Simple question for those of you who have had real life consultations.

Is it pretty standard for an experienced plastic surgeon to do both traditional and the Fleur de lis/Anchor type? They call it several different names but same thing?

I have not been able to speak directly with my surgeon's office and waiting on them to return my email. My surgeon happens to be a 2nd cousin who practices in my home town and has a very good reputation. He's practiced for 27 years and is the chief of Plastic Surgery at one of the major hospitals. So of course I want to go to him rather than another doctor. But I have so many questions and am feeling like I'm bugging his office.

What has your experience been in this? Do most surgeons offer this type if it's needed? I think I'm going to need it based on how my abdomen looks.

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

Jennchap
on 7/21/11 7:53 am - CA
I have no idea, I just did my TT on Monday. I have to say I didn't want the Anchor Cut unless I absolutely had to. I was a little worried cause I had a lot of tissue on my belly but I am more than happy with how my belly turned out and only incision is super super low… like where my legs start and pretty long. I know you saw my pics, you can see in the before pics how far back my fold over went and he had to cut pretty far around to get all of it.  Make a list of Q and ask all of them at ur consult. Your stuck with these results for life ya know. The anchor cut actually never came up (and for me that was a relief) Hope all goes well hun.
Let us know how it goes…
Hugs,
Jen
HW 275   SW 229   CW 136 

Thundergrrrl
on 7/21/11 7:56 am
Thanks! Yeah, your results are amazing and the kind of stomach you had to start with is similar to mine. I've never been pregnant but you wouldn't know it from looking at me.

My doctor is 1200 miles away from where I live so by the time I get to the consult I can't really change my mind. I've got till November to do all the question asking I want though ;) So I'm not worried, I just tend to want to know everything down to the tiniest detail before making any decision.

Jennchap
on 7/21/11 8:07 am - CA
Wow, thats a long ways girl! haha… Ya I totally get what you mean. Its a big choice. Did you get to send him pics of your tummy? Maybe they'd let you email him a few different pics from different angles and even have an email or phone consult so you feel more comfortable since he's so far away. Its a scary process sometimes I know. Id leave the Dr. office and think of 10 think I wished I had asked and I was that girl who called and asked a million things and they were always super sweet thankfully! haha
Good Luck you're gonna love this!
HW 275   SW 229   CW 136 

Thundergrrrl
on 7/21/11 8:10 am
Yeah, it'll be fine. He's my 2nd cousin so I can call him any time. I just don't want to bug him so much since my surgery date is still pretty far off.

prek-3
on 7/21/11 10:11 am - Hollywood, FL

Hi Thundergrrrl,
     Every one is different. Some of us may not have the same amount of loose skin. Originally I was considering doing just a TT. My surgeon suggested an anchor cut due to the condition of my skin, but felt it was in my best interest to do a Lower Body Lift to achieve the  best look possible, plus I had discussed future procedures. He explained to me why I should do each procedure and in what order.
So last week Monday, July 11th I had a Lower Body Lift, and so glad I did. It has improved the appearence in my thighs, and my bottom as well!! An extra lil perk!

Dont worry about "bothering", just come with your list of questions. Have you been to his office in person?
Prek3

Nov 10,2009 I reached GOALL BYE  BYE  130 POUNDS! It wasn't about the FOOD, it was about what was eating at YOU!  Time for a Head adjustment!    **July 2011 Plastic Surgery Lower Body Lift

Exercise    is not a LUXURY!

Exercise  is a  NECESSITY

Laura in Texas
on 7/21/11 11:53 am
I think most probably do both, but I think some have a preference. I always thought I'd need a fleur-de-lis after losing 200 pounds, but my surgeon got my tummy perfectly flat without it.  

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

mkbeany
on 7/21/11 12:00 pm
I'm sure it depends on the individual, weight lost, genetics, age...and surgeon preference.

Mine is doing it. I have lost a bunch of weight. Most of which I carried in the front of my body.
I have a large pannus and a bunch above my umbilicus as well.
My surgeon suggested it was the best way to give me a waist. (never had one of those!!)

I trust him completely.

Plus, frankly...I want to look decent in my clothes. Scars don't bother me.
I am 47. I am a mother. I don't/won't show my midriff or belly or boobs...not matter my size.

The only person to see my body is my partner of 15 years. She fell in love with me when I was 350. The scars won't bother her either.

That said...I don't really know if any/all PS will do it. Some may have techniques/procedures they prefer. Let us know how it goes for you.

Good luck on your journey!!
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
Thundergrrrl
on 7/21/11 12:19 pm
I'm with you. I want what's going to give me the best results but don't care about the scars. I'm not feminine enough to ever want to wear a bikini.

I look forward to seeing how yours comes out since I'm also getting it done before I'm at a "normal" bmi, I think we talked about this before :)

Goodluck! It's right around the corner!

Kayla B.
on 7/21/11 1:55 pm - Austin, TX
I think most will do a vertical incision if necessary.  Just make sure to get photos of patients that have had it done.

I did end up getting a full lower body lift AND a vertical incision.  I met with 4 plastic surgeons and they all said I'd need the vertical incision except one (the same one Laura ended up using).  I did not end up using that surgeon, and my primary concern was having a really flat tummy that looked good in clothes.  

The PS I chose let me decide.  I told him that if it would really improve my results, then I wanted the vertical.  My tummy was a mess with tons of stretch marks, so I knew I wouldn't be wearing a bikini or anything whether I got a vertical or not, so I just opted to get whatever I wanted for the best results.

I'd lost 200 lbs and carried most of my excess weight in my abdomen.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Most Active