Financing Experiences

Amy Smith
on 10/31/11 3:11 am
So, here I am looking at the next round of surgery and all is well, except....I think it is going to cost me about twice as much as I had originally been planning on and quoted.  I am a teacher so I don't have "extra" money around!  I know that I can work extended school year in the summer and I also run a program at our school in the summer.  So, my point is I am in a situation where I need to borrow the money with the intent that I can make a minimum monthly payment until summer and then pay it off.  I will be honest I have never taken a personal loan like this before so it makes me nervous.  I know my Mom will help me find the best options and is very financially savy,  but if you had to take a loan out for you plastics, what did you use (local bank, credit union, care credit, etc)?  I did some internet searching and there seem to be so many options out there, so I would love to know your experience. 

As some one said,  it is like a car payment and I certainly hope my body will last longer than my car.

Just looking for ideas!

(deactivated member)
on 10/31/11 7:10 am
I financed my WLS and Plastics with a 401kloan I took out twice actually. It was 4.25% for 5 years, comes right out of my check so I don't worry about it. They did charge 50 bucks to process it but at this point in the game whats 50 bucks. Personal loans are around 10% right now if you have really good credit. Depending what your having done and how much put it on a credit card then after you've recovered from surgery a little transfer the balances to another credit card with 0% APR for 12-18 months if you can get it, then you can work on paying down the principal without the interest for a while.

Hope this helps good luck
Bubba
Laura in Texas
on 10/31/11 10:10 pm
Some surgeons will also finance part of the cost.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Linda-K
on 11/1/11 10:11 am - New Port Richey, FL
My credit union visa card has a 4.9% interest rate so I used that for a little over $7500 and paid the other $1900 out of my savings.

I looked into financing through the credit offerings at the surgeon's office and if I had used any of them, the cost of my surgery would have gone up well over $1,000.  I never knew that the surgeon gets paid less if the patient uses those types of credit.  My surgeon passes that difference onto his patients. 

Good luck to you,

Before/Current/DrGoal/MyGoal      279/183/175/155
Most Active