Abdominoplasty advice...

Katie H.
on 11/17/11 9:27 am - Charlton, MA
I'm having my stomach done (abdominoplasty in the medical world) done in less than three weeks...

I'm wondering if there's any advice from people who've had it done...  What to expect, how to prepare at home...etc...

I exercise pretty regularly, and I know it's going to be difficult to adjust to not going to work out/to the gym, but I was wondering if there was anything else I should be prepping myself for? 

I have a roommate, but she's leaving like four days after my surgery to go work on a cruise ship..I live in a third floor apartment and I'll have my mom coming to help out, but is there anything I should be thinking about???!?!

Any and all advice is appreciated!!!

"Running has the power to change your life. It will make you fitter, healthier, even happier."   ~Selene Yeager, "Let's Get Started," May 2010 issue of Runner's World

scottswife1997
on 11/17/11 9:51 am - Ardmore, OK

I have read lots of good ideas from the members on this board.  I will share what I did for my recovery.  I stayed in a recliner and kept my meds and a large glass of water beside me - as well as the remote control...

The surgery wasn't too painful for me.  I didn't even take the pain meds I was prescribed.  Well I may have one time to get some sleep...

I would recommend getting some tank type t-shirts.  You can wear these under your binder and keep your binder clean from any fluids your incision might leak.  It also acts as a soft barrier between your incisions and binders.  I also recommend buying some large safety pins.  These will come in handy to pin up your drains.  I didn't like the thought of my just hanging, so I would pin them up.

My doctor wanted me to drink two protein drinks a day.  I think this may help with the healing process.  So you may need to stock up on some.

I don't recommend wearing pj's in the hospital.  Just wear theirs.  I bought some cut pj's and bled all over them with the area where one of my drains were.  For some reason it seemed to leak all of the time.  Once I got home from the hospital it did seem to slow down on the leakage.  I usally kept a wash cloth in that area to absorb it.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else.  I went back to work in 2 1/2 weeks  - and that time went by really fast. 

I am a little over a month out and love the results!  Good luck!  I wish you the best and a speedy recovery!

Holly

kathkeb
on 11/18/11 1:34 am
Hi Katie --

I have not had my abdominoplasty yet (March 2012 for me).

I have been told to work on strengthening my core muscles as much as possible --- to get into the best shape I can to make my recovery easier.   I do alot of walking/light jogging and hiking now, but I am also adding some weight work and core abdominal exercises.

My surgeon recommends a toilet seat (they sit on the toilet and make the seat higher for you -- so you don't have to squat down as far ---

For any type of post-op scenario, I would stock up on some soups and easy to digest foods in case you have any nausea.
Plan to have some videos or books or hand work to keep you from going nuts during your recovery time.
My surgeon said to plan to be in bed or on the couch for the first week --- and then plan for a nap every day for at least a week after that.
He told me that the pain will be minimal, but I will feel 'wiped out' for a few weeks.

I am going to be watching the replies to your post -- and storing away the ideas for myself.
Best of luck to you
Kath

SassyItalian
on 11/18/11 7:12 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
I had my TT 2 weeks ago..Here are some tips that I can think of...

Like someone else mentioned, see if you can find one of those toilet seats with the handles on the side. Not having to bend down as far is helpful for a few days. I borrowed a (clean) one from my aunt who had hip surgery.

Make sure you show your surgeon how low you want your incisions. I made the mistake of not wearing my bikini bottoms into surgery as a guide and my scar is higher than I would have preferred.

I dont know if the dr. supplies you with a binder or not..I ended up buying 2..one in medium that fit me but was too tight with all the dressings on- so i ended up buying a second in a size large, one size bigger than i would need normally which was more comfortable in accomodating my dressings.

My doctor recommended and a brush on silicone product called scar guard that dries. These and silicone sheets are great for healing. When you are allowed to start treating your scar these are supposed to be good products.

I personally didnt think it was all that difficult and i had a breast lift and augment done at the same time also..just try and stay positive, stay on top of your pain by taking your pain meds.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Lizzy25
on 11/18/11 9:34 am
 I agree with the toilet riser, get one. Mine was like $20 off amazon. Have a big waterbottle with a straw, the straws help. And even though you're gonna have the best intentions of eating well, chances are with the pain meds you'll be on you're going to have to eat some crackers and other simple carbs just to prevent nausea. Have some saltines on hand and eat them if you need to, it's way better than throwing up or feeling queasy. Just don't worry about your diet so much, get all your protein in and focus on healing. Don't weigh yourself for a few weeks following surgey because you will be super bloated and it will only stress you out. I was 3 pant sizes bigger for 2 weeks. 

Have a pair of small sharp scissors, nonstick bandage pads, bacitracin ointment (better than neosporin, which can cause rashes and allergic reactions) and micropore or paper tape, for changing the dressings around your drains and at your bellybutton. 

I can't think of much else that's super important. Yeah taking a break from working out when you're so used to it is tough, I'm still itching for it after 3 weeks. But you'll be exhausted and won't feel like it for a while. Get together a bunch of good DVDs and you'll be fine. Start a new tv series. 

Good luck, can't wait to hear how much you love your new flat belly!! 
"The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." -Bertrand Russell
5'9 HW: 297 GW: 160 CW: 161
proudauntie
on 11/19/11 2:07 am - Honolulu, HI
Just to add to the list above - for me at least - Constipation was a problem after my first surgery so I know start taking Miralax after I get home from surgery.  Also getting up an moving around helps - no 5Ks right away but my surgeond encouraged me to take a walk everyday
Most Active