Persistant Seromas

Sherry65
on 12/1/11 10:10 am - Las Vegas, NV
I have been reading a lot of post concerning Seromas and drains so I decided to share my story in hopes that It might help  others dealing with this.

I had a long inscision Thigh lift(from top of thigh to  3 inches below the knee)In May 2010..Three weeks later I had the drains removed with less than 10cc drainage..One week later I developed a Seroma on my left thigh and one below the knee on my right leg...My surgeon drained the Seromas and had me keep them compressed in hopes that would seal the pocket..In less than a week they had filled up again...I then went in for weekly aspiration's spanning over a two month period..When this did not resolve the problem my Surgeon did Sclerotherapy three times over the next 6 months but this also did not work..I was taken back into Surgery three more times over the next year to remove the pockets..removing the drains with less than 10 cc drainage..They came back..My Surgeon decided to do one more Surgery and leave the drains in until I was bone dry .....I ended up leaving the drains in for 10 weeks ..This finally resolved my Seromas...I still get alot of swelling in my legs but compression hose help with this.

I am not  trying to scare anyone considering Surgery but I spent hours looking for information and treatment options for persistant Seromas...I had a Full Body Lift and Arm Lift with no complications and today I am so happy with my results.

Sherry
Sherry

Three Rules to Life, Give it your all, Never take anything for granted and always smile at what life might throw at you!
Lizzy25
on 12/1/11 10:19 am
 Holy crap! You've really been through the ringer! I won't complain about my 5 weeks with the 1 drain anymore, that's for sure. So glad your other surgeries went well! 
"The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." -Bertrand Russell
5'9 HW: 297 GW: 160 CW: 161
waitinggame
on 12/1/11 10:57 am - Bowie, MD
Thank you for sharing. I held my breath a little as I read your story. I'm terribly worried I'll be one who follows in your footsteps. I'm trying not to be negative, but the reality is that I had drains in for 6 weeks and still developed seromas. It's a little unsettling. We're keeping an eye on them and plan to drain them if they refill. Then it will be re-inserting a catheter drain, then sclerotherapy. Glad we have a plan--hope to not need it.

Glad your other procedures were uneventful. You look beautiful!

Denise

Check out my blog--menumealplanning.com. Tales of making meal planning managable, family fodder, and everything else under the sun. 

RNY 2/3/09, LBL/BL w/Augmentation 9/16/11
Start weight: 335 Current weight: 185 Goal weight: Whatever the hell I can maintain without driving myself insane

ButterflyCenturyCard-5.gif picture by barbccrn

*6.5 lost preop

Most Active