stitches???? and when are you out of the woods from problems happening after a tummy tuck.

Valerie K.
on 12/3/11 2:56 pm, edited 12/3/11 3:09 pm - Dearborn, MI
 I have a question for ya all. I had my tummy tuck which is healing great. But I have had the stitches popping out and have been cutting them off because they are so long I have cut 4 of them off and they are about 2 inches long. I though they would dissolve on there own.  When I saw my surgeon he cut one that was sticking out and  told me if i seen any more  to cut them to my skin.  I think removing 4 of them is a bit much is this normal??? anyone else have this with stitches?

When are you out of the woods for problems happening after a tummy tuck???
My surgeon gave me the tool. Now it is up to me to use it right.

Lee ~
on 12/3/11 10:49 pm - CA
 Are these the internal stitches or the the ones that were placed at skin level to hold it AT&T together?  I'm having my LBL this week so I'm not familiar, just trying to learn,

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Valerie K.
on 12/4/11 12:46 am - Dearborn, MI
 I have no idea to me they seem deep I can pull on them but they do not pull out of my skin so I have been clipping them away. Found another one this am so I just clipped it.

Michelle E.
on 12/4/11 12:03 am
I think its referred to as "spitting" stitches..
Valerie K.
on 12/4/11 12:56 am - Dearborn, MI
 Michelle thank you so much for the name of this. I was reading about it and this is what is going on with me. now I know why my belly  button was hurting so much for 3 days. It is better now that I have cut them down and that they have popped out. Thanks again Val.

sonnieN
on 12/4/11 5:06 am - grand rapids, MI
Totally normal and shouldn't cause any problems. Can happen months after your surgery as well. I had one in my thighs that was weeks after I had surgery and everything was healed. Looked like a small blood blister  and when I touched it there was a stich come out.
siberiancat
on 12/6/11 5:21 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I had some stitches still coming out at 3 months post op.  I can see stitches through my transparent incision.

I had a couple places on my incision that opened at 6 weeks.  I cleansed and dressed them and they closed in 3 weeks.

My incisions are wide and red at 6 months post op.  I had fleur de lis TT and my tummy muscles (above and below belly button) are still really sore - like someone has been punching me with their fist.  I find heat to be the most helpful - also not lifting much.

I think hernias can be an issue for more than a year post op.  Listen to your body and don't overdo.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Valerie K.
on 12/6/11 10:39 am - Dearborn, MI
 wow I would not even think that you could still pull out stitches at 3 months out. I am still finding new ones each day all along my incision line. I am only 6 weeks out now and had the fleur de lis tt also. My belly button is sore to above it and below it. I did not even think of a hernia could happen but to think about it I do have a lump above my belly button I hope that is not a hernia. Thanks for the info. Val

Most Active