Why so many revisions to PS?

godzilla
on 1/18/12 4:15 pm - Israel
As McBeany wrote, expectations and obese body healing and as Erika keloid scars. Not everyone heals the same way and we are told the possible risks of necrosis gangrene seroma keloid hypertrophic scarring-several of which I had.
I hope my HMO agrees for me to have scar revision and boob job.
I understand your concern for possible revision after the whacko story not long ago of the "PS" who injected weird stuff into people and the got infections.
Mikimi in Israel
(deactivated member)
on 1/18/12 8:49 pm
Katie - speaking only from my own experience. I did not go into having PS with the thought of having a 20 or 30 yr old body. I didn't even expect a 40 yr old body! I'm mid 50's and like others, weight gain and weight loss ravaged my body. I also have skin that is not very elastic at all and had three children.

My expectations were clear when I went for 3 different consults - what can be done for my hip/saddlebag area. When I moved, it moved other directions. I was wearing compression garments during our very hot (90+ degree) summers. Dresses, etc. would not fit as I was a full size bigger in the hip area from all the loose skin.

All three PS's said I needed an LBL (lower body lift). I went with the most skilled surgeon but knew if it didn't turn out well, revisions were included if I chose. I had so much skin removed that I was able to donate it. My doctor removed what he felt was medically safe. Unfortunately, my saddlebags returned within two weeks of surgery. We waited six months (for healing purposes) and on 12/27 I had my revision. At that time he was able to remove even more and so far (3+ weeks out) I am very happy with the results. I am in the same size clothing now, and don't have all the extra moving skin issues. When I am cleared to start working out - I will not be in pain from the skin issues.

For me it was a quality of life issue - not vanity. If it was vanity, I would definitely have had the "girls" done as they have left the building! Anyway, sorry this is so long, but it is important to remember that PS is a process and sometimes there needs to be revisions along the way.

Gracie150
Amy Smith
on 1/18/12 10:50 pm
Gracie,
Do you or surgeon know why your saddle bags came back?  That is my biggest fear!  I check everyday waiting for them to just explode again!  How does this happen?
(deactivated member)
on 1/19/12 3:23 am
Ms Shell
on 1/19/12 12:49 am - Hawthorne, CA
I haven't been over here in awhile and from what I recall I don't see alot of breast revisions.

I will be revising my tummy tuck because I accidently snatched out a drain and the small over became bigger and bigger and so there is a scar revision and taking a little excess, as well as a arm revision to take off a little more and a leg revision on a scar where I had a seroma.

My body was a mess and while I'm not going for perfection a tweek here and there is needed.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Lee ~
on 1/19/12 2:48 am - CA
Hi Ms. Shell,

At six weeks out, I just got a seroma abount two inches about my knee.  It's on the underside and part of it sits across my incision line.

Can you tell me more about the seroma and the need for scar revision please?  What happened?

I hope you don't mind me picking your brain!  :)

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Ms Shell
on 1/19/12 3:27 am - Hawthorne, CA
As you know a seroma is a pocket of fluid (basically).  Well mine was right at my knee along my scar line and my surgeon took his scapel and cut it open to drain it which caused it to be a hole that I had to pack, yada yada.  So it's not a nice neet scar line like the rest of my scar.  So it requires a scar revision.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Lee ~
on 1/19/12 3:58 am - CA
Thanks beautiful Ms Shell!

My surgeon is in Mexico.  He thinks that this will reabsorb in time.  I bet he's right!  I'm visualizing it growing smaller each day.  :)

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

katier825
on 1/19/12 1:59 am
You all make some good points about revisions. I was thinking before I posted this question that it was more about unfortunate mistakes than subtle corrections. I'm glad I asked...it eases my mind! My 51 year old skin had been obese most of my life, and morbidly obese for many of those years. If I can get fixed up in one surgery, I think I'd count myself very fortunate. First the Girls! I don't expect a problem there. Then to tackle the lower half. And if I need a revision, I won't be as likely to freak out about it. Thank you for responding!
Raven300
on 1/19/12 12:43 pm
 No matter how well you plan or how experience your surgeon is, there are unknowns that come up during surgery/recovery that can impact final results.  I am having a revision on my BL and it is not the fault of my doctor, the procedure, or my "pickiness".

I discovered that I am a super slow healer.  My breasts were lifted in the Lejour method.  There is a section of skin that was formerly part of the underfold of the breast that should now be adhered to the ribcage under the breast - if you can imagine that from my crummy description.  I noticed some sagging or double bubbling of this skin at 1 week out. My doc said it should be there and had me tape thaose sections tight against the ribcage so the tissues would heal and adhere.  One breast healed with no issue but the other side refused to adhere.

I had a stage 2 planned anyways and my doctor will revise the problem area at that time. It is fairly simple he says and there is no charge.
     HW-345,SW-300, CW-144lbs.  DS 5/11/10. 
     First round of plastics with Dr. LoMonaco 11/8/11  LBL, BL. 14lbs of skin removed.
     2nd round with Dr. LoMonaco 2/8/12 Brachioplasty, Thigh lift,  Breast Implants.

Most Active