Consults, questions to ask

loverofcats
on 1/25/12 1:34 am
I am currently researching plastic surgery and will be scheduling some consults in the near future. I do have a list of some questions to ask, but would like feedback from others, what they asked and what they wished they would have asked during the consult phase.

Thank you!!

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

JustLookingToo
on 1/27/12 9:44 am, edited 1/27/12 2:43 am - AL
Make sure to go early. Ask at the desk for a book of before and after photos. Look through the book before you go back for your consult, and look closely at scar placement and things like that. If you see anything unusual, point it out to the surgeon and ask about it. For instance, on a breast lift, there are several different options for scar placement. Some surgeons go out of their way to use the smallest scar possible, while others just do the same style of lift on almost anyone without regard to each individual case. One surgeon that I consulted with did a full anchor lift on every patient, saying that it "lasted longer and gave better results". While that may or may not be true (I'm not a doc and have no idea), some people might opt for a lollypop scar if given the choice. Another thing that I notice is that the horizontal scar under the breast sometimes ends up well above the crease of the breast instead of close to the crease where it won't be as obvious. Same thing with tummy tucks. Every doc has his or her own style of scar placement. Just look at the pics and imagine that it is YOUR body, and then, decide if you can live with it.

Basically, don't assume anything. Look carefully at the pictures and ask the doctor what type of scar YOU will likely leave the operating room with. I say likely, because things do often change in surgery, and they may have to change the plan once they go in. However, if they know what you want upfront, they will be more likely to try their best to give you results close to what you expect.

You can also ask for a list of previous patients who have agreed to allow people to contact them as references if you like. Keep in mind that most doctors probably will not put unhappy patients on that list, though.

One thing that is VERY helpful is that you can do a search of the county that your doctor practices in and see if they have any present or past legal trouble (have been sued). Here is an example of one such site that is in the county of one surgeon that I was scheduled with.

http://www.escambiaclerk.com/xml/xml_web_1a.asp

I put her name in, and I found that she had one speeding ticket. Then, I put my name in, and I had three speeding tickets, lol. I was amazed at how detailed the information is on that site, as I have not had a ticket in many years. If your surgeon has a history of wreckless behavior, you can see a trend on sites like this one. Most every county has an online tool like this these days. There are other places that you can check, too, such as the Better Business Bureau.

Ask when and how you need to pay. A surgeon that I was scheduled with wanted payment almost a month in advance, and a ten percent deposit to get on the surgical book. They all have their own way when it comes to payment and scheduling, so you have to ask.

Also, be sure to ask about their policy for revisions. If you are not happy, or if you have complications, ask what they will do to make things right.

That's all I can think of right now. Good luck with your consults.

loverofcats
on 1/27/12 1:31 pm
THANK YOU!!!!!

I really appreciate the information. I have looked at before and after pictures and have met a few people that had surgery with the two plastic surgeons that I have met with, but you gave me a few more ideas. I am really taking my time with this one, since this is major surgery and I want it done correctly and safely.  I need to ask more questions about the scar placement and breast lifts.

Thank you,

Gail
     "          

JustLookingToo
on 1/27/12 2:38 pm - AL
Yep, we spend a lot of money on surgeries, and most of us will only do this once, so it pays to get the best result the first time around. One thing that I noticed on before and after pics was that the horizontal line on anchor lifts looks different from patient to patient. Some doctors seem to be much better at knowing where to put it so that it will be well hidden within under the breast.

I *think* (I'm certainly no expert, so take this information with a grain of salt) that people who get implants at the same time they get a lift will show that anchor lift scar differently if the pictures are taken before the implant settles and the swelling is gone. I know when I got my implants 18 years ago, it took several months for all of the swelling to go. My guess is that a surgeon has to estimate where the implant will end up in relation to the scar once the swelling is gone. 

However, I've also seen what I consider to be "bad" work, where the surgeon goes too far up the breast (towards the center of the chest wall), and leaves the edges of the scar sloppy. I've also seen very sloppy placement of scars. Take this Atlanta surgeon, for example. Maybe he does some good work, but this photo was on his website as a before and after example. I would be REALLY unhappy with this scar placement...

http://www.kevinsnodgrass.com/photogalsingle.aspx?id=174&procid=12

You get the idea, anyway. Just take a really close look at the before and after pics and look for things that you would be unhappy with if they happened to you. Some doctors take more pride in their work than others do, and some are just more skilled and artistic.

loverofcats
on 1/27/12 2:51 pm
I would be very unhappy to end up with a scar like that. I hadn't seen something like that, before looking at that site.

Do you think it is better to have a lift first and then implants at a later point in time?
     "          

JustLookingToo
on 1/27/12 3:03 pm, edited 1/27/12 3:03 pm - AL
I don't really know if it's better. I have read on realself.com, that many surgeons say to get a lift first. They say to let it heal, and then do the lift. I am about to have my old implants removed, and because I've been having problems with swelling of my breast, I want to do a lift only. A surgeon that I consulted with told me that it would be "very easy" to go back in and slip and implant in if I decided that I wanted one down the road. 

It seems like most surgeons like to do the implant at the same time as the lift these day, but I don't know which is better. I have read that the scarring is usually less when done at different times because there is no pressure on the incisions from the implant, but I really don't know. There's another great question to ask at your consults! The two advantages (that I can think of) of doing them at the same time are costs (you are not really charged extra for the OR time or meds since it only takes a few minutes to get the implant in) and the fact that you only have to be put under one time instead of two.

Oh yeah...I think that photo is an extreme example that *hopefully* does not happen very often. I have seen quite a few scars by darned good surgeons that have scars that are at least an inch above the breast crease, though, so I guess it must be hard to get it just right.

loverofcats
on 1/27/12 11:22 pm
The consult that I had on Thurs was pretty informative. This PS said that he liked to do the breast lift first, then go back and slip in the implants, if the desire to have them was still there. His reasoning was to allow for healing and less chance for infections and complications. Also, less pressure on the incision line. He said that it would be easy to slip in the implants during another procedure, if someone was planning on having multiple procedures done, which I am.

I need to investigate realself.com. I am taking my time with this. I would consider going out of the country, but I have a medical condition that surgery could exacerbate. I don't want to be far away from medical care, if something should happen.

Once again, thank you.

Gail
     "          

JustLookingToo
on 1/28/12 1:02 am - AL
That sounds like a great plan! Since you are having multiple surgery, doing the lift alone should be much better. First, it would give you a chance to see if you like your lift just the way it is. Many people do. Secondly, you should heal better and have a better cosmetic result since the implant won't be distorting your incisions and causing opened or pulled places. 

With any complicating factor, such as the one you mention, it would be best to stay in the U.S. close to home (in my opinion) where you can be close to your doctors and your medical records just in case. 

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. Can't wait to hear how it all turns out for you!

JustLookingToo
on 1/27/12 3:25 pm, edited 1/27/12 3:30 pm - AL
This is off topic, but I just noticed that you are "Lover of Cats". Not sure where you are located, but the Baldwin County Alabama Animal Shelter needs help fast if you know of any rescue organizations that can help. 

About 24 hours ago, the Summerdale, AL police department found a horrific scene at a so-called animal rescue. The owners had left over 200 cats and dogs without food or water for ten days. They just left town and did not tell anyone the animals were left caged. People in our area are scrambling to find help to place or foster the animals that survived. Dozens of people showed up this morning with food and supplies, but the animals will need homes pretty quickly.

Just trying to get the word out to animal lovers everywhere. It's horrible that these poor babies were "rescued" and then treated like this...

http://www.baldwinhumane.org/

loverofcats
on 1/27/12 11:24 pm
I live in northern California. I will take a look at the website. I could send a donation.

I have 4 cats that keep me company.
     "          

Most Active