My first sneeze since my LBL

bowknot
on 2/2/12 5:39 am
Gail,

I let me caveat that this is just my experience.  I have a high pain tolerance and I'm willing to push through things. I don't want to do any damage, but I know sometimes there has to be discomfort to improve ... like weight training. 

Did you spend a night in the hospital after the surgery? If not, how soon were you discharged?
I was in the hospital for two nights and I feel like I needed both of them.

Were you able to walk up and down stairs at all?
I was able to do some stairs.  I had 4 to get into the house.  It was a week before I tried the stairs inside my house (16) and I didn't have a problem with them.

How much help did you require during the first week or so?
I had 2 nights in the hospital.  I was walking laps in the hospital the second day.  DH went out of town day 3.  A friend spent night 3 & 4 with me.  She did the cooking and wanted to bring me fluids.  I refused because I needed to get up and move around.  I did have to call her once to get me out of my recliner.  It was sad, but funny.  My DS stayed with me days 3-6.  He hung out with me during the day because he works nights.  He'd pick up things and run around the house to get things for me.  I would still get up periodically to move. I watched a lot of TV and played cards.  I showered,dressed, and treated my wounds by myself.  Friends dropped by oftern days 4-6 to check on me.  DH returned day 7.

Going back to work after 2 weeks sounds very soon to me. How are you managing? How is your energy level and concentration?
I'm home officing today and tomorrow.  It has not been a problem.  I just need to get up every hour or so and move around.  I'm an HR manager.  It is mostly computer and phone work.  I drove to CVS and Target at lunch.  DS has been driving my SUV and finally brought it back today.  Driving was not a problem at all.  Getting in the car was annoying.  Getting out was no problem.  My company changed their STD provider at the beginning of the year.  The old contract included "cosmetic surgery."  The new one does not.  Honestly, I couldn't afford to go much longer without some income.  It was definitely a motivator to get back to work.  I was getting stir crazy because I didn't have a car I could drive.  Focusing on work hasn't been an issue today.

How long were you on pain meds?
I was on morphine in the hospital.  I took as much as they would give me.  I came home with percocet.  I hate the fuzzy head it gives me.  I tapered my percocet to one before bed by day 11.  Day 13 was no meds at all.  I did take some Tylenol today just in case.

Where did you buy the compression garment?
My doctor showed me what he wanted it to look like ... knee to breast line... and told me to go get it.  I bought mine at Target.  They were $14.99.  I went back today and bought a couple more because I'm tired of washing them in the sink. 

When were you able to drive? You're at two weeks now, when did you start driving?
I've been riding in DH's car since my 8 day appt.  He has sports cars and they are so hard to get in and out of.  You feel every bump. They hurt.  I drove for the first time today, day 14.  DS car broke down last month.  He's been driving my car while he looks for a new one.  I made him bring it back today.  I feel like I could have driven earlier, but who knows.  The big issue was the percocet.  I wanted to be sure it was out of my system.

Can you do any bending at all?
I can bend to about 50 degrees. Bending more just hurts.  It hurts to stretch too far.  DS laughs as he pulls things off the shelves in the kitchen for me. My knees bend just fine.  I have been able to get on my knees to pick things up.  I usually hold on to things to stand back up.  I stepped in cat vomit on Tuesday.  I was able to get on my knees and clean it up.  I know it was pushing it, but I couldn't leave it there...gross.  I was home alone.  I used the banister to help me stand.  It wasn't painful, just awkward. 

Laughing, sneezing and coughing hurt.  Blowing my nose hurts.  I was able to walk a mile yesterday.  I was very slow, but did the loop in my neighborhood.  I had to shorten my stride, but I'm a huge believer that moving your body helps and it was a sunny 75 degree day.  We went to a friend's house last night.  I spent most of the evening sitting down.  It was nice to be around friends and other people.  I did not have to take percocet or Tylenol last night.

There is still tightness, pulling and some discomfort.  Overall, I feel like I'm improving every day.

Hope this helps.

Kay
imafatgirl
on 2/2/12 7:30 am
 So glad you are doing well.  
Lee ~
on 2/2/12 1:24 am - CA
I was supposed to shower the day after my body work but asked to please wait a day.   I was happy that I did, because even two days later I almost passed out in the shower.  The nurse had to quickly wrap me in a towel and get me back to my bed.  Dr. Sauceda told me afterwards that I need to remove my garments, sit on the side of the bed for 30 minutes to allow my blood pressure to stabilize.  Once I did that, along with drinking some juice or eating part of a protein bar, I was fine.  I just needed the energy boost and to stabilize first.

I was put into my garments while still in the OR.  They have a nice hole for peeing or pooping but I personally had to pull down my garments to poop.  I had a female urinal that I used for the first day, then it was just easier to sit on the potty.  No riser, just a low potty.  I had a ton of muscle repair to my abdomen as well as having no arms or legs to help support me but I found it easy to get up and down from the potty.  I did a year of intense pilates to get my core strong.  I laid on the floor and practiced getting from a flat position to sitting up with my arms and legs in the air so that I had to only use my abdomen.

I was in the clinic bed for 5 nights, then moved to a regular bed.  I didn't have a choice.  The first night getting up was a pretty funny extravaganza getting from laying flat to sitting up but I did it.

The incisions from the LBL are not painful at all.  I can't figure out why, but they weren't. 

I think the arms and legs take a lot of babying to try to have the best possible scaring outcome.  The LBL just sits there and doesn't go anywhere.  It's not a moving part so to speak.  The only concern with the LBL is not making any fast moves that would torque the body and pull the incision line apart.  I quit worrying about it at 5 weeks and just hopped into bed again.  I was so careful to slide my tush onto the bed, then ease my legs up etc.  Now I just don't even think about it.

The garments are easy to get off and on once you get the hang of it and the swelling goes down a bit.  The first five days I wanted help.  Once I got to the hotel I was able to take care of it myself.  We are quite adaptable creatures.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

mkbeany
on 2/1/12 11:04 pm
Ah, yes...I remember it well.

I peed myself from the pain.
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
imafatgirl
on 2/2/12 7:29 am
 Sneezing and coughing suck!!!
Michelle E.
on 2/2/12 11:04 am
Sneezin, coughing, laughing and throwing up SUCK!!  Feel better Kay.. it hurts less with time
Most Active