medical tape allergies?

DC_7stars
on 2/11/12 6:22 am - Aiea, HI
i had an abdominoplasty on the 10th of January. my surgeon instructed me to leave on my steristips as long as they stuck. after which tape the incision site. problem is, started to itch a lot recently as i replaced more of the stristips with tape. it didn't seem like an infection and i wasn't running a fever.

so now when i peel the tape off, i end up with these red blotchy marks in the shape of the piece of tape i removed. whatever tape left on the roll went in the trash. i picked up a different tape that i haven't tried yet, i'm wait to see if this rash goes away first.

anyone else have similar issues to this? any remedies?

thanks in advance,

Verticle Abdominalplasty 01/10/2012
bowknot
on 2/11/12 1:00 pm
I had issues with "tape burns" too. When the tape came off my skin it would, literally, leave a blister. Talk to your doctor.

Mine said they were normal and many people get them. He allowed me to stop dressing the wound since it had scabed/healed nicely.

Kay
Michelle E.
on 2/11/12 7:59 pm
I didnt have steri strips but used medical tape to stabilize drain lines.. I had a similar issue..the skin was very red and looked painful.. I ended up taking benadryl..it seemed to resolve itself.. but I would show your PS just in case

Michelle
DC_7stars
on 2/12/12 7:13 am - Aiea, HI
thanks for the advise! i stopped dressing it for now and started the benedryl. it looks better just after a day. i'll probably call my surgeon tomorrow just to check with him.

thanks again,

Verticle Abdominalplasty 01/10/2012
Amy Smith
on 2/12/12 7:24 am
I second everyone else, but when it happened for me I was already taking benedryll (I am allergic to antibiotics.)  Anyway, I used some ointment called calmoseptine ang it helped immediately.  THe only take I could use was paper tape.

I may have had a few extra potholes along the way, but the journey has been good!   

• RNY- Christiana Institute of Advanced Surgery - Dr. Peters 8/09 
  • Medial Thigh lift & Brachioplasty - Dr. Macrea 7/2011  
  • LBL - Dr. Joseph Michaels (Sibley Memorial) 12/22/2011
  • Upper Body Lift with Mastoplexy - Dr. Joseph Michaels 12/20/2012

sublimate
on 2/13/12 2:49 am - San Jose, CA
You know what's weird? I was fine with latex medical tape, but the non latex stuff they suggest for allergies gave me a horrible rash! Dunno why that is.

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

Most Active