A couple questions about TT after surgery please!!

glamour_04
on 3/7/12 10:52 am - Abilene , TX
 Hello I just have a couple questions about TT I'm about 3 weeks out and just wondering how did ur beautiful hip to hip scar hurt? Mine is still tender and seems to get irritated when I sleep Albright in bed and get up in the morning andi feel like hunching over more instead of standing straight like my ps said to do!   Also when how long before you can sleep on ur ides or tummy mine said I could as soon as my last drain is out but I'm not sure lol. What is the best griddle to get he said after my drains out on Friday I can get one and wear that!   One more question when did u take a bath and can u get in a hot tub or pool?
lorilea
on 3/7/12 9:44 pm - MN
My scar didn't hurt necessarily, it itched alot, but alot of the nerves were cut.  I had my surgery on 1/20 and am still pretty numb.  What bothered me more were my muscles, when I sneezed or coughed or when I am sleeping.  I slept in my recliner for 5 weeks because I just couldn't get comfortable in bed.  I can just about sleep on my side, but I can't lay on my tummy for even a minute without discomfort from tugging either from my TT or BL/BA.  I think everyone is different though, I have slept on my side for years, now when I wake in the morning I am on my back.

I stayed in my compression garment for 5 weeks and was able to figure out clothes to wear where no one could really tell.  Then I moved to flexees (target or JCPenney), they are like spanx, but cheaper.  I wear the tank top and panties with control top in them. I would try to avoid investing in something that you don't plan to use after you have healed. 

You should be good for a bath once the hole closes up from your drain (assuming you don't have any other other open wounds), I would guess about 4 days.  But make sure you ask your dr. about this.  I would say the same for the hot tub, but make sure you ask about this too.
mkbeany
on 3/7/12 11:54 pm
My TT and FDL scar never really hurt. It was tender for a while but mostly numb.

I slept on my side as soon as the drains came out...one at the one week point. The second at 3 week post op visit.

I love to sleep on my stomach and did so at about a month.

I wore a binder until that third week when the second drain came out. Went straight to JCP to buy compression garments. I prefer the Bali. Still wear them as they make me look better in my work clothes. Hi waisted to the bra line. I have one with a regular bottom and the other that looks like shorts on the bottom. I wear that one with skirts because I feel like the line shows too much in pants.

My post op instructions were no bath or hot tub...or soaking of any kind for at least 6 weeks. If your incision gets wet and mushy it can and will open up...even if it looks closed to you. The surface may look okay to you but there is very complex healing taking place below for quite a while. Check with your surgeon. I would never have dreamt of getting near a hot tub.

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
Most Active