Questions regarding BA/BL

Aimee J.
on 3/13/12 2:26 am, edited 3/13/12 2:39 am - Greenville, MI
I'll be 3 years post-op (RNY) in May and I'm having my first plastic surgery procedure (BA/BL) on 4/9. I have a 3 year old and 1 year old, so I will be doing the TT/LBL/Lipo of outer thighs next fall (when I won't have to lift the kids as much). I have a few questions:

a) For those of you who had this procedure, how was your pain? Recommendations for recovery (ie: sleeping position, things to have at home).

b) Although most Plastic Surgeons differ, how long did you have to wear your compression garment? What was done at your first post-op visit (mine will be 1 week after my surgery)?

Thanks!

Aimee
Aimee J.
on 3/13/12 2:39 am - Greenville, MI
I'm not sure how to remove that ticker....it's inaccurate! :)
Brooklynnsmom
on 3/13/12 4:01 am - Bellevue, NE
I had a BL only.  Pair wasn't horrible, I actually was garage sale shopping the next day!  I was off all pain meds by day 4-5.  I was told no stomach/side sleeping for 3 weeks.  I pretty much slept on the couch for the 3 weeks, laying back as far as I could.  When I could go back to the bed, I only made it 4 nights and had to go back to the couch to another week.  Then I could go back to the bed full-time.  

The biggest problem I foresee you might run into is lifting. Because of the side incisions, I was on a 5lb lifting restriction for 3weeks, then 15 pounds.  Finally at 6 weeks, I could go to 25 pounds. 

Also, as far as recovery-you won't want to be reaching up into high cupboards.  Try to have things down on the counters. 

I came home with what looked like a tube top.  That was my compression bra.  Seemed like I wore that for the first 2 months.  It was truly the most comfortable.  I gradually started wearing a regular bra more and more, but not until I was at least 6 weeks, because the incisions were tender.  To me, it wasn't worth being in pain. 

At first post op, the steri-strips were taken off.  The stitches were left in for about 3 weeks.  Each surgeon is different I am sure. 

Good luck! 

Debbie
Raven300
on 3/13/12 6:33 am
 a) I discovered I am a slow healer.  I took pain meds for 3 weeks.  For the first 10days I stuck with the one pill of vicodin every 4 hours. Later, I was taking one every 8 hours.  The pain is not terrible pain, I would describe it as extreme discomfort.  I didn't  have responsiblities like you so the pain meds were a great option for me to help me feel good and sleep thru the rough times.

- The single biggest thing I would have at home for recovery is a recliner chair. I had one for the two weeks I was in a hotel post-op and I slept in the one at home for the next month.  I used lots of pillows to make it comfortable. I've seen on the board that people even rent a recliner or lift chair for a month or two if they dont have one at home.  

b) I wore my stage one compression garment for 10 weeks. I was a sweller. 

-    My first post op visit involved an ultrasound to check for seromas and a draining of a small one found in the breast tissue.  Removal of my catheter (my bladder was still asleep when I left the hospital on day 3).  Removal of 2 drains.

As opposed to Brooklynnsmom experience, my surgeon used surgical glue to seal the incision sites rather than steristrips and used absorbable stitches.  The glue  substance wears off over about 2 weeks negating the need to be cautious with the strips or have them removed. Using glue also means you can shower the moment you feel up to it.   The only stitch type thing I had was a support string around the drains in my groin which were removed at the the time the drains came out.
     HW-345,SW-300, CW-144lbs.  DS 5/11/10. 
     First round of plastics with Dr. LoMonaco 11/8/11  LBL, BL. 14lbs of skin removed.
     2nd round with Dr. LoMonaco 2/8/12 Brachioplasty, Thigh lift,  Breast Implants.

Most Active