Down and Out

Mahogany1021
on 4/24/12 3:28 am - brooklyn, NY

it is depressing to lose such a significant aount of weight ans till feel disfigured. I live in NYC had open gstric bypass 12/01/08 under my insurance 1199, However, cosmetic surgery is only covered to " correct gross disfigurement caused by accident, injury, or procedure performed under the funds"s allowance" (their words according to plan details) I would think that I qualify under those terms. I have lost close to 170lbs total and have excessive skin..I am sick and tired of wearing a girdle everday...paying out of pocket is an impossible option for me literally..even if i saved to get a body lift which i hear can run between 15K-20K it would take me years to save for that and a loan is not an option either considering I can not afford to pay $200-400 per month. Moving forward.. it sounds like my ins "might" be willing to pay however, i can not find a surgeon who is willing to work with me and even try to get this covered. I feel so depressed....any suggestions or just plain old motivation...I think i Know when i am fighting a losing battle

Brian Wohlgemuth
on 4/24/12 3:53 am - IN
My Abdominoplasty cost $10k, and I've heard of others getting it for far cheaper than that (especially at teaching universities).  I'm sure my doc could find more to do, but I'm pretty happy where I am now.

I'd shop around and see what you can find.  I thought it was going to be $30K+ but was quite surprised at what I found

HW: 474  OpW: 406  CW: 267            Twitter - @bwohlgemuth, same with FB
-100lbs 08/17/2010      -200lbs 02/28/2011      OpGoal: 07/05/2011  
Abdominoplasty  3/2012

sublimate
on 4/24/12 4:19 am - San Jose, CA
Have you considered going to Mexico? I hear Dr. Sauceda is great and very affordable! If I couldn't afford my plastics here he would have been my first choice.

I also felt very disfigured and I had to wear a girdle and all of that, just like you. I also was so bummed about it. Plastics has been a dream come true.

Even though I still have issues with my arms, thighs and chin, I still feel so much better now that I have had this much done. I still wish I could get the rest done. Tired of my face not looking quite right and having to hide my arms.

Have you looked at every possible scenario? Sell stuff, get a home equity loan, downsize your housing, get a better job, get a part time job at Starbucks, walk dogs, etc.? I know it's hard but if you are motivated you can do it.

I sold my house (which I hated) to get plastics.

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

Looking_Forward
on 4/24/12 7:40 am
 You're actually fortunate to live in NYC; there are a number of top notch teaching hospitals with clinics where the Chief Resident performs surgery under the supervision of a board certified plastic surgeon (some of the best in the city). I went this route & saved a fortune!
Cindy

Angela S.
on 4/24/12 1:58 pm
 My LBL is 10k. Start saving the pennies, they add up over time. 
Iam_with_the_Band
on 4/24/12 7:50 pm
I moved to an 700 sf apt.  I have my bed in the living room and I am working two jobs (thankfully, I have that option)  - I have had to pay out of pocket for all of my surgeries - from my LapBand to my LBL plus!  Sometimes I feel bad that others haven't had to pay cash for anything, but I knnow that life isn't always fair and we have to do what we have to do to make ourselves healthy and happy!

I chose Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico and have been extremely happy!  He's 1/3 the price I would have paid in Denver and he is very skilled and has an excellent bedside manner!  I feel so fortunate to have found him!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Most Active