care credit question....

Amy W.
on 5/12/12 5:40 am - Buckeye, AZ
How does CareCredit work? My surgeons office has a discounted fee if you pay cash (aka- upfront so financing isn't involed), so does that mean I can't use care credit? OR does that mean I'm taking out a loan from carecredit, so I can pay the surgeons office upfront, and then I'm just paying back carecredit?! I'm so consued.... Help!

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

sharonleanne
on 5/12/12 7:28 am
 From my understanding.....CareCredit charges the doctor a fee so they don't give the discount if you use CareCredit cause it cost them money also. 
Stefanie Bailey RN
BSN RNFA ...

on 5/12/12 7:43 am - Bandera, TX
Some of the medical financing companies do charge a fee to the doctor so they will not accept it or will not honor a discounted fee for cash.  Look at all your options and see what best works for you.  I had to pay cash, ie with a cashiers check for both my band and breast augmentation.

Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Good luck!
Stefanie Bailey RN BSN CNOR RNFA
Regional Managing Partner

Lapband 12/19/02
240/145

JustLookingToo
on 5/12/12 9:58 am - AL
Yes, Care Credit does charge the physician's office a fee to use it, but the girl who was booking me at my surgeon's office (in Pensacola for a tummy tuck) said that it was the same fee that Visa and other card companies charge. Not sure if that's true or not, but that's what she says. I think she said that it was 2%, but can't swear to it. My surgeon's office does not offer a cash discount, and her patients pay the same no matter how they pay.

Another place that is great for loans is lendingclub.com. The interest rates are better than Care Credit in some cases, depending on your credit score. I've used them in the past, and love them for short-term loans. If you use them for medical loans, though, don't tell them that's why you are borrowing or the interest rate is higher. Just pick "consolidation" or "home improvement" or something like that. You won't have to explain. You pay off the loan over three years, and you can pay it off early without penalty. Basically, you apply for the loan and if you get approved, you list your loan. It is funded in one to three days in most cases. You then fax them a pay stub and driver's license. Then, they wire the money into your bank. You have the money, start to finish, in less than a week. It's peer to peer lending, meaning that regular people loan you money. You might have one person fund your loan (rarely) or you might have twenty or more people fund your loan. Interesting concept, but I've used them several times and never had a problem. It's easier than pouring my heart out to the loan officer at the bank or credit union, imo.

JazzyOne9254
on 5/12/12 1:38 pm

I wish I could do that.  My credit is so shot from medical bills for other issues (Lupus & Fibromyalgia - on disability from them) I couldn't borrow a nickel from a wooden indian!

(no offense to Native Americans; I'm 1/4 Blackfoot)

I was all set for thighplasty, but the docs refused to get prior authorization from Medicare, even after my state's Medicaid approved the surgery!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

dasie
on 5/12/12 7:48 pm
I will be using CareCredit too.  From what I understand, using CC is not considered paying by cash.  The doctor's pay a fee for accepting CC.  I was also told by one surgeon's office to make certain I had cash to pay the anesthesia bill.  The hospital and doctor accept CC, but the anesthetist does not.   They said save my cash for that bill.  You should ask whether any portion of your bill is cash only.

Amy W.
on 5/13/12 2:29 am - Buckeye, AZ
Darn. HmMMm... does anyone ever take a loan out from the bank for plastics? Do anyone have an idea of what the interest rate would be around?

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

Angela S.
on 5/13/12 2:46 am
 I used my 401k, took a loan out for the remaining 1/3 that I didn't save up for. Interests rates are much lower than going to a bank. 
Most Active